ADVERTISEMENT

Game Plan

SparksCat

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 31, 2009
Preparing for the game Friday, let's have constructive ideas on adjustments that need to be made in Game 2

In Game 1, Ball drove the ball and was able to drive and shoot or kick it out to an open player for an open shot. All 5 guys can shoot it. Should we help on Ball when he drives or stay on each of our men? I would vote not to help on Ball when he drives unless it is Bam helping under the basket

(I know none of us are Coach Cal, but I'll be thinking about what we should adjust until tipoff )

In December, UCLA shot something like 53%. UK shot 41%. Still, UK managed to give themselves a chance. I think that bodes well for the rematch.

UK has gotten better defensively. Hopefully, they can keep UCLA under 50%. On offense, UK has to hit jumpers and foul shots. If UK is around 47-48% from the field and 75% or so from the line, I think they'll win.

As for Ball penetrating and pitching, yeah, what's the point of collapsing and allowing wide open jumpers? Make ball score 30 and try to shut down everyone else if that's the UCLA gameplan.

GBB!!!

Think both you guys are right. Play Lonzo Ball to pass. He want to take deep threes or dunks, and rarely takes any other kind of shot. And when he does, he's not particularly good at it. The vast majority of times he penetrates, he's looking to kick it out to someone for a jumpshot.

To me, that means playing off him once he gets inside the 3 point line. Don't worry about him pulling up for a 10-15 footer. He's likely not going to do it, and if he does, more power to him if he can consistently hit it. Better him taking those than their other guys taking open 3's.

Might be a game where Hawk gets some run, because we definitely need to play straight up on D...they've got multiple wings who shoot in the 40's from deep and those 2 bigs (leaf and the other kid who never misses that short corner jumper) are a load for any team to match up with. It's going to take our best game of the year to win Friday. I love the fact that we're 'dogs, have the revenge factor on our side, and are getting disrespected on all fronts. That with a rabid, late Friday night tournament crowd to fuel them will hopefully be enough to get us over the hump.

Also, I'd spread teh floor and have Fox drive Ball, hoping to put him in foul trouble. I don't remember how much we put the ball in his hands in that first game, but if we can put ball on the bench that makes the rest of ucla's players probably 20% less effective across the board, and I'm certain that would be enough to change the outcome from what happened in December.

We were neck and neck with them first go around, but we were not as efficient.

Fox and Briscoe, with their Tasmanian devil/bull in a china shop act, took a lot of bad shots and Bam missed too many close up.

-Hawk on Ball...turn him every way but loose...
-Fox and Briscoe controlled, focused, on point...no disorganized track meet and jacking up bad shots
-DW and Mulder shoot the damn ball
-If WG isn't doing much keep him on the bench...
-Free Throws

Last edited:
Cannot give up the pick and rolls like they did in game 1.

Must improve the interior defense with regard to Leaf and Welsh. Those guys will have a field day if left open.

Rebounds and put backs - if Gabriel and Hump focuses on these 2 tasks, they will be successful.

Monk needs to come off of screens and work to get his shooting back.

This young team has a ton of potential but, they have a monumental task this weekend. Pulling for the Cats always...GBB!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT