ADVERTISEMENT

G-League ups base salary to 35k for 5 month season, free housing, bonuses

depends on who you ask is my guess. middle aged white men or inner city poor black kids who live in abandoned cars. results will vary.
Poor exploited Kyle Kuzma only got paid $900 a month with all living expenses and medical insurance paid for at Utah to be developed into an NBA player and to be educated for free. I'm not sure how he survived since they get $0.

Kids that just don't want to go to college will benefit from this, i.e. Archie Goodwin, Isaiah Briscoe, etc.

The G league is not a good alternative to college basketball.

And some of you need to stop lying about how much incentive these kids have to go to college. Yes, they get rewarded for it.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Kids that just don't want to go to college will benefit from this, i.e. Archie Goodwin, Isaiah Briscoe, etc.

And that's a good thing. Do away with the OAD rule and let them go to the G league if they want to. College basketball will actually improve at the end of the day. I'm old enough to remember the game being much better when Lebron went straight to the league.

Reactions: Chuckinden
i made more than that as a TA in grad school. suckers!!!!
Congrats on making more than an amateur athlete while working an actual job big baller. Did they also pay your tuition, room and board, and insurance too? Also you said they make zero, my math is awful but I'm pretty sure $900 a month is more than zero.

Congrats on making more than an amateur athlete while working an actual job big baller. Did they also pay your tuition, room and board, and insurance too? Also you said they make zero, my math is awful but I'm pretty sure $900 a month is more than zero.

yes they did. TA >>>> D1 athletes. like i said. suckers!!!!

no wonder why these kids want to go the g league.

yes they did. TA >>>> D1 athletes. like i said. suckers!!!!

no wonder why these kids want to go the g league.
1 McDonald's All American has gone to the G League in in its 16 year existence, in that time frame hundreds have chosen the better option of player college basketball. Saying these kids want to go to the G League is as ignorant as when you said they get zero.

1 McDonald's All American has gone to the G League in in its 16 year existence, in that time frame hundreds have chosen the better option of player college basketball. Saying these kids want to go to the G League is as ignorant as when you said they get zero.

not sure you have noticed....but things have changed recently and are going to change again very soon......you get that right?

doesnt matter. suckers!

Reactions: CatfanMike47
the reason I made a snarky comment was because for months I have had to read people talking about how the increase in GL salaries is gonna kill college basketball. and that is just not true, there is way more than money to consider to this equation (like tv exposure, hype, agent fee, timing to enter the draft, working on your game yourself vs a coaching staff for that purpose) 35 grand plus housing is nothing to laugh at but it just is not game changing money. it absolutely might be a viable option of those who just don't want to go to school, but they are gonna get their weaknesses exposed way quicker with way more consequences than if they headed to college
It may not at the moment. If they do away with one and done. The salaries will increase. They are wanting to turn it into they’re own version of the minor league

And that's a good thing. Do away with the OAD rule and let them go to the G league if they want to. College basketball will actually improve at the end of the day. I'm old enough to remember the game being much better when Lebron went straight to the league.
That was also before 18 first rounders were freshmen. Times have changed. Why is that so hard to understand????

Last edited:
35000 over 5 months and then go work overseas a lot of the rest of the year. They will make more money than the vast majority of his board at a much younger age.

They'll also need a trainer, food, and housing during the remaining 7 months. Also, do we assume an 18 or 19 year makes good financial decisions? So we need to factor in wasted money. Jewelry, parties, lending (and never seeing it again) to your "group" and "family"

Better have no group's or family handouts making that little or else he would be broke after his last paycheck.

not sure you have noticed....but things have changed recently and are going to change again very soon......you get that right?

doesnt matter. suckers!
I guess you're right. Poor Trae Young is already worth more than 90% of the G League, has endorsement deals coming at him left an right. If only he had played in obscurity for the Ft Wayne Grave Diggers (I actually dont know what their name is because they're irrelevant and although I'm a basketball junkie and will watch just about anything BBall related, I've never seen a single G League game in my life) and made that $35k je ne rolling right now.

Not sure if you've noticed but you keep making claims that are untrue and changing the subject. Players get nothing, guys choose the G League over college. LOL, OK.

Speaking for myself, it isn’t snark. Like others have pointed out, the “it’s only for five months of work” argument is an illusion. These guys spend the entire off-season training and conditioning. Their annual salary is $35K, full stop.

Second, I went to UK on a full ride. I’ve also lived as a working adult making $25K - $50K per year. I do better now, but I know that lifestyle. I choose the full ride at Kentucky 100% of the time. Those are great years and a great lifestyle, and they’re probably even better as a basketball superstar. People on this forum talk down the full-ride scholarships (probably until they become a parent trying to put a kid through college) but they’re pretty great. You pay for nothing. You even get stipends. All while hanging out around guys and girls your own age in a unique, once-in-a-lifetime environment. $35K + whatever sad housing the G-League gives is not NEAR enough incentive, at least to my preferences, to justify trading that away.

College years are great times. Anyone who had them would.probably love to go back to that time now and again.

I guess you're right. Poor Trae Young is already worth more than 90% of the G League, has endorsement deals coming at him left an right. If only he had played in obscurity for the Ft Wayne Grave Diggers (I actually dont know what their name is because they're irrelevant and although I'm a basketball junkie and will watch just about anything BBall related, I've never seen a single G League game in my life) and made that $35k je ne rolling right now.

Not sure if you've noticed but you keep making claims that are untrue and changing the subject. Players get nothing, guys choose the G League over college. LOL, OK.
I think you miss too. These kids will use the G League for one year and enter the draft just like Bazley is going to do. These high profile kids don’t wanna go to class. They get a lot of press from high school and AAU.

What kind of groupies can you pull making 35 grand a year?

I think you miss too. These kids will use the G League for one year and enter the draft just like Bazley is going to do. These high profile kids don’t wanna go to class. They get a lot of press from high school and AAU.
They could've done that all along, making 35k instead of 25K is gonna move the needle? Kevin Knox ain't even that popular amongst BBN and he will make more than that on his autograph tour alone.

good call. the ONLY way players would EVER get noticed is through college. kind of amazing half the draft is euros.

you are right, you win the argument....$900 killing it!!!!! congrats boys

They could've done that all along, making 35k instead of 25K is gonna move the needle? Kevin Knox ain't even that popular amongst BBN and he will make more than that on his autograph tour alone.
Wait and see once the one and done rule goes away. The salaries will increase.

good call. the ONLY way players would EVER get noticed is through college. kind of amazing half the draft is euros.

you are right, you win the argument....$900 killing it!!!!! congrats boys
It is a good call, thats why the NCAA gets paid billions of dollars just for their tournament. Millions of people watch, no one can even name 3 G League teams without looking it up, yet you think you can market yourself the same in a league no one watches or cares about? Im talking about marketing yourself, not being noticed by the pros, keep up. LOL again.

It is a good call, thats why the NCAA gets paid billions of dollars just for their tournament. Millions of people watch, no one can even name 3 G League teams without looking it up, yet you think you can market yourself the same in a league no one watches or cares about? LOL again.

i think its great that you get to decide what the players would use the g league for.

i think its great that you get to decide what the players would use the g league for.
They can use it for whatever they want, they just cant market themselves the way they can in college basketball because you dont get anywhere near the same exposure. Be mad if you want, it's a fact.

They can use it for whatever they want, they just cant market themselves the way they can in college basketball because you dont get anywhere near the same exposure. Be mad if you want, it's a fact.

just amazing that you know that no one from nike, etc isnt going to be able to determine who has the "it" factor and wouldnt want to put dollars behind to market because they play in the G league. as if players are only marketable because of college. lol

Still not enough but hit a 100k and cbb is going to be naia
The G League could pay $500k, get the top 100 recruits out of HS every year and I'd still watch UK and the rest of college basketball which includes cheering against UL, Duke, UNC, Kansas and all the rest of the teams I hate. It would not make me an Erie Bayhawk fan.

If the one and done rule remains in place and I’m a clear one and done high school senior (I.e., elite), then I’m skipping college and going straight to the G-League.

I’ll make a guaranteed $35K plus housing and Heath insurance, get access to far more time with professional training than in college, and then I’m still able to declare for the NBA draft after my first year.

I’d also add that G League players are eligible for additional pay / bonuses. About 25% of them are invited to NBA training camps. They are paid for this an average of $44K. That means 25% of these guys will make $80K for five months of work. That is an incredibly attractive offer.

just amazing that you know that no one from nike, etc isnt going to be able to determine who has the "it" factor and wouldnt want to put dollars behind to market because they play in the G league. as if players are only marketable because of college. lol
What D League players are marketable? Who's getting more endorsement deals, Bazley or Trae Young? You can be marketable from anything, as long you have people attention and they care. No one cares about the G League, not even you give a single damn about the G League.

What D League players are marketable? Who's getting more endorsement deals, Bazley or Trae Young? You can be marketable from anything, as long you have people attention and they care. No one cares about the G League, not even you give a single damn about the G League.

you think its that hard to find a star? i mean if ben simmons is killing it in the G league for a year and its clear he is the next big thing you dont think that will get the attention of nike and gatorade? i mean...stop thinking of your own self importance.

you think its that hard to find a star? i mean if ben simmons is killing it in the G league for a year and its clear he is the next big thing you dont think that will get the attention of nike and gatorade? i mean...stop thinking of your own self importance.
You dont understand what I mean. If Ben Simmons is killing it in the G League but no one sees it, no one cares, no one has an attachment, his endorsement deals wont as much as they would be if he had exposure, people cared, and people had an attachment to him. I'm not sure why that so hard to understand like I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that players do get paid.

You dont understand what I mean. If Ben Simmons is killing it in the G League but no one sees it, no one cares, no one has an attachment, his endorsement deals wont as much as they would be if he had exposure, people cared, and people had an attachment to him. I'm not sure why that so hard to understand like I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that players do get paid.

yeah thats not how it works.

This dude equated me saying that players with all the exposure they get in college are more marketable than G League players to me being self important. What the hell does any of that have to do with me? This board... SMH.

Yeah, because 35K over 5 months (annualized to $84K) plus room and board is not nearly as good as $0 and room and board over 10 months.
Why would you annualize it when it's not annualized? [laughing]

What does UK spend each year per men's bball player? 200k? 250k? 300k? Not to mention you're living like a freaking king.

The G league is a terrible alternative to UK.

If you're not a first rounder, stay in school.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT