ADVERTISEMENT

Freddie Maggard hired by UK

Seemed like a great guy but was basically a cheerleader. Not objective enough to be in media.

Will be interesting where local media turns now as he was THE man for football

Reactions: GridCats and thepip
Thumbs-Up-Emoji-Sign-on-Apple.jpg

Reactions: robo222
Congrats to Freddie! Who can the local media get to replace him? I've always liked Jared Lorenzen and Anthony White when they are on the radio but not sure either is what the doctor ordered. Freddie was a bit too sunshine pumping in his demeanor but he was fairly realistic. Need someone who is both personable and knowledgeable.

Reactions: The-Hack
Objectivity is fine for national media types, but why should a local guy not be partial to the home team?

They can absolutely be partial. In fact I expect it. But not so much that it completely clouds objectivity. That's where he was most times. Everyone sounded like all Americans all the time. It's just not the case.

I'm happy for him. He's deserving. I just had that small criticism of him in terms of media persona

Reactions: The_Godfather
Does UK define the Director of Player Development?
The guys we've read about this week, Franks, Berezowitz and now Maggard, are support staff/administration. I'd say titles are for flow chart purposes only, job is to help the coaches in anyway possible.

Reactions: RV2
I was just getting ready to ask the same question - exactly what is this position?

Regardless, Maggard, as a former player, usually offered good, objective insight to UK football but, like some have noted, not necessarily "objective conclusions" from same. But I say this only about his pre-game analysis and rhetoric (as noted, he worked for a "pro-UK" media outlet). IMO, his post game observations and conclusions were usually spot on.

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Freddie Maggard has been hired by UK Football as the Director of Player Development.
In his new job, he will be charged with helping UK players with life off the field, both while they are in college and beyond. He will help UK players find internships, jobs after football, build career skills and overall become better men.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...ired-by-uk-as-director-of-player-development/

By all accounts a decent guy. I just hope he listens and doesn't monopolize conversions with the players like he does podcast/radio cohosts. Constantly talked over them, and always changed the subject to whatever useless 3.2 thingamajigss per quarter he had written down in front of him.

It was another great night for Stephen Johnson.
Yes, that play where he
I want to talk about the film I watched of Jon Toth and his 7.3 butt slaps allowed over the last 93 minutes of SEC games. Blah, blah, blah for 6 minutes.
Uh yes. Jon Toth had one big block in the
Now Let's talk about what I saw Ronnie Riley do on some 2002 game film I watched.

Freddie Maggard has been hired by UK Football as the Director of Player Development. In his new job, he will be charged with helping UK players with life off the field, both while they are in college and beyond. He will help UK players find internships, jobs after football, build career skills and overall become better men.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...ired-by-uk-as-director-of-player-development/

By all accounts a decent guy. I just hope he listens and doesn't monopolize conversions with the players like he does podcast/radio cohosts. Constantly talked over them, and always changed the subject to whatever useless 3.2 thingamajigss per quarter he had written down in front of him.

It was another great night for Stephen Johnson.
Yes, that play where he
I want to talk about the film I watched of Jon Toth and his 7.3 butt slaps allowed over the last 93 minutes of SEC games. Blah, blah, blah for 6 minutes.
Uh yes. Jon Toth had one big block in the
Now Let's talk about what I saw Ronnie Riley do on some 2002 game film I watched.
How old are you?

Seemed like a great guy but was basically a cheerleader. Not objective enough to be in media.

Will be interesting where local media turns now as he was THE man for football
There is a difference between being "not objective enough" versus not sharing your opinion. Maggard never had an obligation to objectivity anyway. He was a commentator and analyst, not a news anchor. He played football at UK, so you are bound to be disappointed if you expect him to turn against our program. Kentucky Sports Radio is not "the media" in any traditional sense anyway. Maggard is a good man and a loyal Wildcat. I think this is another solid hire by Stoops and Barnhart.

Freddie said somethings I didn't agree with from time to time but objectivity wasn't an issue. His role in media never had a requirement for objectivity. He hosted a Kentucky oriented football podcast and he was a member of UK's broadcast team. In neither case was he required to be objective. Kentucky's side line reporter is expected to cover the same game differently than UL's sideline reporter would. That's to be expected.

Reactions: Blue Decade
Oh I know. It just made the ksr connection to JLo which was the first time I considered that. He or jarmon are the only two viable candidates I can think of to replace maggard
The actual history is that KSR unsuccessfully offered their football analyst job to a lot of people and had a lot of trouble filling it until Maggard took it. Maggard was not treated well there. Given those facts, it will be hard for KSR to get another significant former Wildcat. Lorenzen and Jarmon can do much better. KSR coverage of UK football is headed in the wrong direction.

The actual history is that KSR unsuccessfully offered their football analyst job to a lot of people and had a lot of trouble filling it until Maggard took it. Maggard was not treated well there. Given those facts, it will be hard for KSR to get another significant former Wildcat. Lorenzen and Jarmon can do much better. KSR coverage of UK football is headed in the wrong direction.
Uh oh..... the rest of the story.... interesting

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

Interesting and makes sense. He was only hired after years of fan criticism about no football coverage.

Maggard was a bit of a homer imo but that just made me like him more. Was one of us, just with heightened insight.

I agree football coverage is headed in the wrong direction in general. Maggard was the first UK football personality I can recall. I don't count picorro since it's basically a part time thing for him. I just don't see who fills that void

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Win win. He is a plus for UK and gets distance from KSR
Bingo. Freddie is perfect for the job at UK. Nobody loves the school more than Freddie and no one will work harder.

Getting out from under the political umbrella of KSR is a smart career move. Congratulations to Freddie and as fans, we look forward to improvements that I am confident are coming.

ADVERTISEMENT