ADVERTISEMENT

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

Mar 1, 2020
Incredible footage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore this morning. It looks like a scene out of a movie. I hope everyone somehow makes it out safe.

Context: cargo ship hit a support column, and there are reports that the ship lost power leading to this disaster.

Last edited:
What does that do to traffic up there?

When the Brent Spence caught on fire and closed it was annoying, but there are multiple bridges within a couple miles, so not as bad as one would think.

Reactions: chroix
What does that do to traffic up there?

When the Brent Spence caught on fire and closed it was annoying, but there are multiple bridges within a couple miles, so not as bad as one would think.
I used to live in the Baltimore area from 1998-2001, and the chemical plant where I worked was at the southwest side of the Bridge.

The FSK bridge is part of the I-695 loop around Baltimore. When I lived there, the bridge was not that heavily traveled. I probably went across the bridge about 15-20 times in the 3 years I lived.

Most of Baltimore’s port facilities are inside the bridge, so in addition to vehicle traffic, this will be a major impediment to marine traffic in and out of Baltimore.

Just a terrible tragedy…..

dali-colapso-puente-francis-scott-key-baltimore-420x280.jpg

107392723-1711453020406-gettyimages-2107841613-AFP_34MB67D.jpeg

This is horrific. People died. There were construction workers on the bridge that have not all been recovered. Not clear regarding vehicles ...

The logistical traffic flow challenges are massive and will take a long time to rectify.

hat tip to Colonel Angus

Oh say can you see, in the darkness of night,
How the bridge, she did fall
As the cars above took flight?

Whose strong cables and road, did collapse in the bay,
When a biiii-ig ass ship,
Started going the wrong way.

Boat and bridge were ensnared,
All the cars in the air
Did cause such a fright, all we could do was stare.

Oh say did that broke-in-half bridge land in the mire,
In the town of Bal-ti-moooooooore
And the home of The Wire?

That’s absolutely terrifying. Living in Louisville, there are constant bridge shutdowns due to safety issues. Between that, the Sysco truck a few weeks ago and this horrible incident, I’m never driving across a ****ing bridge again.

Reactions: parrott and JDHoss
Heard more than one person suggest the power failure on the ship could have been caused by a cyber attack. One bad thing about all ships being linked to a global navigation system is that it makes them susceptible to crazy people and bad state actors.

Likely thrown off by the channel currents.
Possibly. I've seen that move in a canoe on the river. But would a bay like that have enough current to move a massive ship that fast? Boat sure did seem to steer toward the pillar.

Shhh...it's now a "plot."

I'm going to wait for further details before settling on it potentially being some sort of attack, cyber or otherwise. With the way social media is, we're about three hrs away from people saying the bridge exploded right before impact.
Oh look... The guy who never wants anyone else to speculate while he speculates all the time on stuff. LOL.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Somehow the captain/pilot called MD DOT to let them know they had power issues and police were able to slow a lot of traffic before going on the bridge.

Talk about quick thinking. Mercy.

That's genuinely impressive to pull that off in that short a period of time.

Woke up this morning and got on Twitter seeing "Baltimore" and "Baltimore Harbor" trending and honestly my first thought was another mass shooting. Just incredibly tragic video.

I haven't read up on it any so far today, but is there anything going forward that can be done to provide any additional protection to those support columns? A ship of that size with that kind of force... probably nothing tho.

I saw where Biden was saying the government would pay to rebuild bridge.... Shouldn't the company that owned the ship and the co that had it leased use their insurance to pay for the bridge? I know those co's have insurance soooo....

That's genuinely impressive to pull that off in that short a period of time.

Woke up this morning and got on Twitter seeing "Baltimore" and "Baltimore Harbor" trending and honestly my first thought was another mass shooting. Just incredibly tragic video.

I haven't read up on it any so far today, but is there anything going forward that can be done to provide any additional protection to those support columns? A ship of that size with that kind of force... probably nothing tho.
Seen some reports that they don't build bridges like that anymore. Sunshune Skyway was built similarly...and something similar happened.

So...yeah, apparently a lot they can do going forward. Why they didn't do anything proactively is Monday morning quarterbacking.

Seen some reports that they don't build bridges like that anymore. Sunshune Skyway was built similarly...and something similar happened.

So...yeah, apparently a lot they can do going forward. Why they didn't do anything proactively is Monday morning quarterbacking.
I saw that it's span between pillars is top 20 widest. Maybe they'll have to get tugs to taxi all boats going through such areas. I saw where 2 bridges in FL were hit but didn't have near the damage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT