ADVERTISEMENT

Former UCONN GREAT STANLEY "Sticks" ROBINSON passes away

UKvisitor

All-American
Jan 3, 2007
Down by the river
UConn Athletic Communications / July 22, 2020

Stanley "Sticks" Robinson, a starting forward on UConn's 2008-09 Final Four men's basketball team, passed away suddenly on Monday evening at his home in Birmingham, Ala.

Robinson, a four-year player for the Huskies, is not only remembered as one of the most athletic players in UConn history, thrilling fans time and again with spectacular dunks, putbacks and blocked shots, but also as one of the most likeable.

"I am truly heartbroken," said Hall of Fame Coach Jim Calhoun, Robinson's coach at UConn, who had kept in close contact with his former player. "Stanley was such a beautiful person, caring and giving. He was a gentle soul, too gentle for this world.

"He was not only loved by his teammates, but everybody who met Sticks liked him. He will always be a Husky."

"According to Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Yates, Robinson was found unresponsive in the bedroom of a family home in the 1500 block of 23rd Street S.W. in Birmingham. The discovery was made at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Robinson was pronounced dead on the scene at 7:56 p.m.

There was no sign of foul play or trauma. The cause of death is pending the results of toxicology testing and other lab studies."

Last edited:
Wow. I swear this is true: Last night out of boredom I watched that entire November, 2009 Kentucky-UConn game from Madison Square Garden.

Stanley Robinson had a near-double, double and was a very effective player inside. Some really athletic moves on Cousins, among others.

What a terrible thing. Condolences to his family.

Last edited:
Only 32 and he has 3 daughters. That makes it more saddening.

Edibsl5U0AAxTqD

Last edited:
Remember Cousins having a lot of respect for him because they played against one another in Alabama and I remember him once saying when he was in high school Stanley had him ready to piss his pants. Really sad, guy was just a hair older than me.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Sad story. Such a young man with so much life to be anticipated. Sympathy to his family, especially the three daughters who lost their father.

The quotes about his soul being too gentle for this world makes it sound like suicide but there's no official cause of death yet. Terribly sad regardless

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Remember Cousins having a lot of respect for him because they played against one another in Alabama and I remember him once saying when he was in high school Stanley had him ready to piss his pants. Really sad, guy was just a hair older than me.

Boogie had a really nice post about him yesterday. He did indeed say he played against him in his very first varsity game and was extremely nervous. He looked up to him as a role model.

The quotes about his soul being too gentle for this world makes it sound like suicide but there's no official cause of death yet. Terribly sad regardless

I was thinking that or an OD. Sad. Its weird when players you remember watching, not thay long ago, are passing away.

Reactions: TM2013
Wow. I swear this is true: Last night out of boredom I watched that entire November, 2009 Kentucky-UConn game from Madison Square Garden.

Stanley Robinson had a near-double, double and was a very effective player inside. Some really athletic moves on Cousins, among others.

What a terrible thing. Condolences to his family.

I remember watching that game and thinking to myself “what if Alabama could just keep their bball talent at home?” Just in that game you had Robinson, Cousins, and Bledsoe as starters from Alabama. Courtney Fortson was a star at Arkansas that year as well. That’s a lot of talent from one state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT