ADVERTISEMENT

For those who have seen both play: How does Travis Perry stack up to Reed ?

Seen Shepperd multiple times last year, only seen Perry twice. Based on my observations there is really no comparasion, Reed is a complete player in every area of the game with a extremely high IQ. Perry is not a high level ball handler or assist or the defensive force, the one area that he may be equal is his shooting, has a quick shot with unlimited range. Another big difference is Reed is a much better athlete and about 3 inches taller, Perry has a really stron upper body and solid frame. I think if Perry goes to UK he will be a role player not necessarily a difference maker, that being said I still hope he goes to UK, Ithink there is something to be said about having local kisds on the team, it just seems to mean more to them and can inspire their teammates.

Seen Shepperd multiple times last year, only seen Perry twice. Based on my observations there is really no comparasion, Reed is a complete player in every area of the game with a extremely high IQ. Perry is not a high level ball handler or assist or the defensive force, the one area that he may be equal is his shooting, has a quick shot with unlimited range. Another big difference is Reed is a much better athlete and about 3 inches taller, Perry has a really stron upper body and solid frame. I think if Perry goes to UK he will be a role player not necessarily a difference maker, that being said I still hope he goes to UK, Ithink there is something to be said about having local kisds on the team, it just seems to mean more to them and can inspire their teammates.
Thanks for the info

Pretty much agree with this except for, Perry is an ELITE shooter. I would say the best Kentucky high school shooter since Chris Lofton. I know Reed and love him but he is a little behind Perry as a shooter. So is practically everyone else. Reed knows Perry and they talk some , Reed himself will tell you that when it comes to just shooting…..Perry has got him .

I've seen Perry several times and I agree completely with you posted there.

My only disagreement is the "seems to just mean more" statement. I'm not sure he's even a UK fan.

It seems like a large portion of kids now don't even watch college basketball. The NBA is a lot more attractive to the younger crowd. I've heard interviews from elite players say that they don't even like watching basketball games, only highlights. It's probably the depleting attention span of the generation.

My only disagreement is the "seems to just mean more" statement. I'm not sure he's even a UK fan.

It seems like a large portion of kids now don't even watch college basketball. The NBA is a lot more attractive to the younger crowd. I've heard interviews from elite players say that they don't even like watching basketball games, only highlights. It's probably the depleting attention span of the generation.
Something that really surprised me . I asked Jeff what Reed said when he watched some of Jeff’s UK games and Jeff said Reed had never watched one . That was back in Reeds Junior year so maybe he has now , but I was really surprised.

• Wow
Reactions: Fox2monk

Basketball is a job for some of these kids. Watching other guys play might not be enjoyable.

We still need this kid....

Reactions: bigbluedon
If he chooses another school, wish him luck in every game they play except against UK, then Voodoo him all week before the game.

Perry is not a UK level player. Sorry. Maybe he can go somewhere else, get better and join the team when he’s a senior. But no more CJ Frederick types.

Reactions: Catman100
We know what Reed is, already a very good D-1 player right from the get go. I have not seen Perry play and any input from those who have seen both ?
He had a great game against Reed’s Hs team but that’s high school comp. We seem Reed preform with the best of the best for years. No clue how Perry does in AAU but he is a 4 star right?

It’s crazy to think someone who plays basketball didn’t like to watch it. I agree with the attention span.

Perry is not a UK level player. Sorry. Maybe he can go somewhere else, get better and join the team when he’s a senior. But no more CJ Frederick types.
the same was said about most of the Kentucky kids that went to Vandy. They supposedly weren't Ky caliber, but UK seemed to always have trouble stopping them

the same was said about most of the Kentucky kids that went to Vandy. They supposedly weren't Ky caliber, but UK seemed to always have trouble stopping them

Who?
And would you rather have the Kentucky kid or who we actually landed?

I still wonder if Perry comes to UK. Playing time may really come into play. Maybe a different school with a different system might work in his favor.

I played with Mills in High school. He had a full ride to Georgia. Solid minutes on the table. He chose UK even though Rick said it was a long shot. His story turned out well

No we don't . Who is he going to defend? How is he going to get his shot off against 6'4 guards? He isn't quick enough to beat them off the dribble, he's just an average leaper. He would do well at Murray or EKU.
I've seen him play several times against top notch competition and also poor competition he's very consistent against all. He want wow anyone athletically but does most everything well and his BB IQ is extremely high. I do believe he will be a consistent player that contributes where ever he chooses to go.

No we don't . Who is he going to defend? How is he going to get his shot off against 6'4 guards? He isn't quick enough to beat them off the dribble, he's just an average leaper. He would do well at Murray or EKU.

Yeah he isnt starting over boogie or shep next year so I assume he wants to start and ole miss for some weird reason has promised him that.

He “may not “ be UK level…..but he’s better than that level.

Reactions: CalCat57
I get the "not athletic enough" criticism of Perry. He reminds me of Kyle Macy, and Macy was definitely "not athletic enough" by today's standards. Macy played about 10 years in the NBA.

If Lyon County wins the All A State title this season, I believe Perry will have had the best high school career of any player in KHSAA history. If Perry doesn't get Mr. Basketball this year, they should stop giving the award. He should have won it as a Sophomore.

He has already led Lyon County to the Sweet Sixteen Quarterfinals twice. Lyon County had only been to the S16 once before Perry, and that was about 70 years or more ago. They lost by 4 to GRC last year, and GRC only lost by 4 to Warren Central in the Championship Game. Lyon has all five starters back. They could win the Sweet Sixteen, not just the All A.

That's what sets Perry apart from Dontaie Allen, who just scored a bunch of points. Perry's teams win head scratching upsets against teams they "aren't athletic enough" to compete against. I really think Perry and Sheppard would complement each other well. But I don't think Perry will come to UK. What could have been...

Last edited:
Here's some AAU highlights of Perry playing against guys he clearly isn't athletic enough to compete against. Lyon County lost by 1 point to Indiana 5A champion Indianapolis Cathedral the summer after Perry's sophomore year. That's when Cal offered.

Reactions: bevcat and G-PIP
You are so right bnewt. Cox, Goheen, Draud, and the biggest was probably Chris Lofton at Tennessee. Thay all played like all-americans against us.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
I get the "not athletic enough" criticism of Perry. He reminds me of Kyle Macy, and Macy was definitely "not athletic enough" by today's standards. Macy played about 10 years in the NBA.

If Lyon County wins the All A State title this season, I believe Perry will have had the best high school career of any player in KHSAA history. If Perry doesn't get Mr. Basketball this year, they should stop giving the award. He should have won it as a Sophomore.

He has already led Lyon County to the Sweet Sixteen Quarterfinals twice. Lyon County had only been to the S16 once before Perry, and that was about 70 years or more ago. They lost by 4 to GRC last year, and GRC only lost by 4 to Warren Central in the Championship Game. Lyon has all five starters back. They could win the Sweet Sixteen, not just the All A.

That's what sets Perry apart from Dontaie Allen, who just scored a bunch of points. Perry's teams win head scratching upsets against teams they "aren't athletic enough" to compete against. I really think Perry and Sheppard would complement each other well. But I don't think Perry will come to UK. What could have been...

The article linked above states that Perry is currently ranked as the No. 70 overall player, the No. 6 point guard, and the top prospect in Kentucky for the 2024 class, according to 247 Sports. When you consider (1) that those rankings are often based quite a bit on how the ranking service perceives future upside (potential) and in some cases based on NBA draft projections, rather than current translatable skill level or effect on winning basketball games; and (2) Perry is, relatively speaking, just a decent athlete and somewhat undersized – then his ranking seems pretty impressive, and suggests a guy who can just play. Add to that the fact that he is the state of Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer in high school basketball, his teams win games they probably shouldn’t win due largely to him, and it becomes hard for me to discount his potential to be a very good future piece for UK.

But honestly, if Perry had any idea in the back of his mind about playing for UK (a mature and wise decision for his life beyond basketball, I believe), then playing a couple of years somewhere else where he gets lots of minutes against good competition while his body and game mature, and then transferring to UK, might not be a bad plan. It worked for Macy, the player you compare him to, right?

The article linked above states that Perry is currently ranked as the No. 70 overall player, the No. 6 point guard, and the top prospect in Kentucky for the 2024 class, according to 247 Sports. When you consider (1) that those rankings are often based quite a bit on how the ranking service perceives future upside (potential) and in some cases based on NBA draft projections, rather than current translatable skill level or effect on winning basketball games; and (2) Perry is, relatively speaking, just a decent athlete and somewhat undersized – then his ranking seems pretty impressive, and suggests a guy who can just play. Add to that the fact that he is the state of Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer in high school basketball, his teams win games they probably shouldn’t win due largely to him, and it becomes hard for me to discount his potential to be a very good future piece for UK.

But honestly, if Perry had any idea in the back of his mind about playing for UK (a mature and wise decision for his life beyond basketball, I believe), then playing a couple of years somewhere else where he gets lots of minutes against good competition while his body and game mature, and then transferring to UK, might not be a bad plan. It worked for Macy, the player you compare him to, right?
Totally agree on all fronts. The chance to play at UK is there if Perry wants it. There have been no reports of Cal pulling the offer. Maybe Cal hasn't recruited him as hard as he would have liked. I don't know about that.

He is a four year college player no matter where he goes, imo. I don't know what Ole Miss has as far as a depth chart, but there is no certainty he will start there next year either. Come to UK and back up Boogie for a year, then see what happens. The NIL opportunities at UK would have to be lucrative.

He dropped Purdue, but he might take the Patrick Sparks path to UK. Dominate at WKU, then go to UK. His "ceiling" is Macy, but his floor is Sparks, imo. Sparks was a pretty darn good player too.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP and teli
Here's another neat statistic about Perry's high school career. When he was in the 7th grade at Lyon County, he averaged 20.6 ppg on a 21-10 team that made the 2nd Region Tournament. The year before, Lyon County went 8-19.

That's a crazy fact. I don't even know how that's possible.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
As mentioned, looking at life after basketball and what this state could do for him. Practicing and playing with pro's for multiple years can only help you be the best you can be in a short amount of time. This new offense of playing faster and shooting more 3's seems to fit his style well. More support from fans, friends and family here. Will be a LOT to give up.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
That's a crazy fact. I don't even know how that's possible.
Yeah, if he had decided to quit playing basketball after the 7th grade, he still would have had a better high school career than 99.9% of all the guys to ever play high school basketball in Kentucky, myself included.

Reactions: G-PIP
From what I read above sounds like Perry is somewhere between Lofton and Farmer.
Perry's game is nothing Like Chris Lofton. Lofton was a cold blooded assassin with his shot. Perry is a straight up scorer. He cuts hard constantly moves and drives to the bucket extremely hard.

Also though Lofton was a very good athlete, Perry and Shepard are more bouncy than he was in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT