ADVERTISEMENT

Fly Fishing/ Fishing in general Thread

80 and I are taking another crack at Hatchery Friday. I think we have a better plan and certainly better weather. Spent a couple hours on Friday out there with my 5 year old which consisted mostly of me untangling his line. Only hooked one, which tossed the hook right at the bank.

I was just at the beach thursday and it seems to be getting better. Didn't see any dead fish. Last week I saw several including a huge loggerhead. FWC were everywhere documenting the loggerhead. I will probably go this week as soon as it warms up and can let you know more

Been catching jacks and whiting in the surf. Jacks aren't much for eating, but put up a helluva fight. Walked out to our neighborhood pond the other evening ahead of a cold front and caught 8 largemouth and missed 7 others in a little over an hour on flukes. We bought a couple of kayaks recently. Been sticking to the Indian River lagoon so far. My wife isn't too keen on getting on the small lakes with the gators. I'm looking at adding stabilizers to them in hopes that will ease her mind. You have a spill on the lagoon, you get wet and it's a PITA to get where you can get back in. You have a spill in a small lake or inland canal/river system, you could be in a heap of trouble.

Been catching jacks and whiting in the surf. Jacks aren't much for eating, but put up a helluva fight. Walked out to our neighborhood pond the other evening ahead of a cold front and caught 8 largemouth and missed 7 others in a little over an hour on flukes. We bought a couple of kayaks recently. Been sticking to the Indian River lagoon so far. My wife isn't too keen on getting on the small lakes with the gators. I'm looking at adding stabilizers to them in hopes that will ease her mind. You have a spill on the lagoon, you get wet and it's a PITA to get where you can get back in. You have a spill in a small lake or inland canal/river system, you could be in a heap of trouble.
IRL is some of the best fishing in Florida when the water is in good shape. I have spent many days on the water there. Those Jack are a blast to catch. Fight like crazy!

^Those bigger jacks will leave you with a sore arm.

The water temp is starting to warm up and the big girls (snook) will be out on the beaches and passes soon. Can’t wait

Fly fishing is worth the effort to learn tho it takes some patience. Sight fishing for Reds and Specks on the Texas flats is a blast. Rocky Mountain trout rivers and streams are the best for me. You bass fishermen want a real rush ya gotta experience a largemouth exploding on a hopper at the end of a fly rod. That's a real eye opener you'll never forget.

Fly fishing is worth the effort to learn tho it takes some patience. Sight fishing for Reds and Specks on the Texas flats is a blast. Rocky Mountain trout rivers and streams are the best for me. You bass fishermen want a real rush ya gotta experience a largemouth exploding on a hopper at the end of a fly rod. That's a real eye opener you'll never forget.
I'm working on it. Reading, watching, and listening to every resource I can find. I'm in for the long haul but damn I spend a lot of time undoing tangles.

Going for reds later this month in the low country.

Any books, shows, or podcasts you recommend?

I'm working on it. Reading, watching, and listening to every resource I can find. I'm in for the long haul but damn I spend a lot of time undoing tangles.

Going for reds later this month in the low country.

Any books, shows, or podcasts you recommend?
Keep doing what you're doing. Get some good fly gear applicable to what you'll mostly fish for and practice practice practice! If you're able do a fly fishing guide trip and you'll pick up a lot with many pointers that are pure gold.

Low country of South Carolina?

Keep doing what you're doing. Get some good fly gear applicable to what you'll mostly fish for and practice practice practice! If you're able do a fly fishing guide trip and you'll pick up a lot with many pointers that are pure gold.

Low country of South Carolina?
Yep.

I enjoy fishing but mainly deep sea fishing on a party boat, just show up and fish, they provide the bait and tackle and I get to enjoy the boat ride out and back. Last trip was out of Gloucester, MA a few years ago, may do another this summer.

I enjoy fishing but mainly deep sea fishing on a party boat, just show up and fish, they provide the bait and tackle and I get to enjoy the boat ride out and back. Last trip was out of Gloucester, MA a few years ago, may do another this summer.
I love bottom fishing. Easily the best way to catch really good eating fish. Plus, you can drink without much concern.

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
Red tide has gotten better. We’ve had a strong east wind blowing the past week which should blow most of it back out offshore.

-Got out near Pine Island yesterday on some trout, water was clean and clear. A little slow but didn’t fish too hard anyway it was more about the cold beer.

Last edited:
Got to fishing spot at noon and stayed only two hours because it got windy. Had 5 strikes and hooked 2 and landed them. Below is a picture of them and part of Rattler pond which you can see a hill just above the pond. Over that hill is the FT. Sill OK live fire hand grenade range which with the name Rattler and the grenade range most people don't like fishing there. Perfect for me because it keeps many a good amount of bass in the pond. I have pulled some 5 and 6 pounders out of there. The first bass was about 2 1/2lbs and the second a little over a pound.

Seriously considering a fishing kayak for some of the smaller lakes in the area. Anyone have recs/positives/negatives etc?
Bigger kayaks are better in the wind but a pain to haul. If money isn’t an issue get a pedal drive. I love my kayak on anything less than a 200 acres. As long as you find one that’s comfortable and tracks well you won’t go wrong.

Seriously considering a fishing kayak for some of the smaller lakes in the area. Anyone have recs/positives/negatives etc?
As Blue-2 eluded to tracking is important. Read up on those that track well and are stable.

Nice^

I got the yak out last weekend on the full moon tide and busted some snook 20-25inch and a solid red 26in on rapala x-rap white twitch bait. Water was nice and clean and no sign of any red tide. It was blowing 15-20mph this weekend or I would have got out again.

Been fishing for stripes, down at the foot of Kentucky Ave here in Paducah, the last 2 weeks. Been tearing them up on night crawlers. Going to start going after Blues and Flatheads starting tomorrow morning.

Reactions: 80 Proof and JDHoss
Warrior, that lake looks exactly like a pit I fish. Had to zoom in since the shorelines match up so much.

august, check the regulations where you fish and see if you can use small stripes that you catch for bait. We’re allowed to here and catfish tear them up. Couldn’t tell you how many over 30 lbs I’ve caught using a stripe cut in half.

Nice^

I got the yak out last weekend on the full moon tide and busted some snook 20-25inch and a solid red 26in on rapala x-rap white twitch bait. Water was nice and clean and no sign of any red tide. It was blowing 15-20mph this weekend or I would have got out again.
You ever fish the mangroves around Tiger Beach on Marco Island? We walked through there one late afternoon heading to the beach and there were fish breaking on top everywhere.

Warrior, that lake looks exactly like a pit I fish. Had to zoom in since the shorelines match up so much.

august, check the regulations where you fish and see if you can use small stripes that you catch for bait. We’re allowed to here and catfish tear them up. Couldn’t tell you how many over 30 lbs I’ve caught using a stripe cut in half.

I don’t think we can. Gonna throw out 3 lines, shrimp, cut bait, and worms and hope for the best. Maybe scoop up a fresh Asian Carp and use the bladder if we are lucky.

Reactions: 80 Proof
You ever fish the mangroves around Tiger Beach on Marco Island? We walked through there one late afternoon heading to the beach and there were fish breaking on top everywhere.
I don’t get down there much but the beaches on Marco are great for snook in the summer. I mostly fish Estero Bay/Bonita and Pine Island.

Reactions: JDHoss
Caught one of these once but had to throw it back.
screen-shot-2015-07-23-at-4-19-13-pm.png

Flyrod with poppers on any pond or lake will keep you entertained all day long. Not to mention the thrill of when a 5lb bass grabs the bluegill you have on the line.

Caught a couple of Blues, 1 Flathead, a Perch and a Drum this morning. My buddy also “caught” an Asian Carp,that swam up to the bank, with his grabbers. Cut the bladder out to use as bait. Fun morning.

Reactions: 80 Proof and JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT