ADVERTISEMENT

Fly Fishing/ Fishing in general Thread

anthonys735

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2004
2015 USBWA GYERO POY
Really odd we don't have one of these threads. Let's get one rolling. Good place to discuss all things fishing be it stories, techniques, gear, trips, whatever.

I'm really new to Fly Fishing, we have any local pros here? Looking for as much advice, resources, and local fishing(Central Ky).

I really want to get into fly fishing, but it has such an intimidating learning curve. I live in SWVA around some of the best trout fishing in the country. I need to just get out there and do it. Thought about paying a local guide.

Here is a beginners mega-thread from Reddit. Reddit gets clowned a lot on here, but the niche subreddits like the one I linked are a wealth of information.

Last edited:
My fraternity little brothers family used to own the Orvis shop here in town. He was one of the instructors for their classes.

Fly fishing is good in the right setting. I'd rather cast a spinning or bait casting rig if I'm on the lake or most rivers though.

I get the that but I want to learn around here so when I'm some place cool I'm not dealing with the learning curve wasting my time out there. Especially since I've been going to Charleston/Antigua more these days. Both have amazing fly fishing options.

The Orvis store here closed I guess. Only one I could find is in Lou.

Went with a Moonshine pole 9' 5wt and Teton Classic reel to get started. Both made in the US although I think a few of the Moonshine materials come from overseas.

Orvis store got sold about 10-15 years ago. New owners that I didn't know ran it for a while, then shit it down.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Come up this spring. We'll cast a few in the Little Miami in the morning, ride the bike trail then hit the river again in the late afternoon.

I've only fly fished it twice and only caught 1 smallmouth, but the conditions were shitty. There are a lot of smallies in there.
I want to catch the frogman.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
I really want to get into fly fishing, but it has such an intimidating learning curve. I live in SWVA around some of the best trout fishing in the country. I need to just get out there and do it. Thought about paying a local guide.

Here is a beginners mega-thread from Reddit. Reddit gets clowned a lot on here, but the niche subreddits like the one I linked are a wealth of information.

Wherebout (Appalachian American for where at?) ? I'm from Big Stone Gap originally and for nearly 30 years. I fished Big Tumbling Creek a few times in Smyth County. Really liked it except for the abundance of copperheads. Now I have to watch for alligators as I fish canals and ponds in the south Florida area.

Definitely intimidating but there's so many resources out there. Mad River Outfitters and New Fly Fisher both have excellent YouTube channels. The Orvis podcast is good as well.

Reactions: Mossip
I'm in Abingdon, but have lived all over SWVA/Eastern KY. Lived and worked in the midwest for almost a
decade, but somehow ended up back here

Edit: Meant to quote @JDHoss

Reactions: JDHoss
I don't fly fish as much as I use to, but if you EVER get a chance to go to the White River in Norfork, Arkansas, Don't miss the chance! I go ever year with a church group out of Greenville Ky. Caught a 20" Brown couple years ago, I saw a 7lb Rainbow Trout caught on one of the trips Coldwater Guide service!!

Reactions: awf and Mossip
Wherebout (Appalachian American for where at?) ? I'm from Big Stone Gap originally and for nearly 30 years. I fished Big Tumbling Creek a few times in Smyth County. Really liked it except for the abundance of copperheads. Now I have to watch for alligators as I fish canals and ponds in the south Florida area.

I grew up in Lee County, Va messing around on the Powell River/Indian Creek on the lower end and have tried to get down that way (Lee/Bell Co) to fish every couple of weeks for the last 6 months or so. Gotta say... it's been good for the soul. Really have gotten into just taking a jon boat to some of the smaller lakes in the area with engine restrictions and hanging with the old man. Largemouth, smallmouth, trout, crappie... whatever.

Last edited:
I grew up in Lee County

I go to court from time to time in Lee County. That drive on Wilderness Road (think that's what it's named -- US 58 maybe?) from Scott County is gorgeous. Always wanted to go over there and just hike around and check it out a little more. Also, I've heard there is a quaint little German place with great food.

Reactions: JDHoss and awf
Nothing better than a tarpon on fly. I used to fly fish some a bit wade fishing here in Florida. I mostly fish from my kayak now so I find it’s a little too difficult to use fly with all the line n such. I just mostly use spin tackle now. grew up bass fishing in KY but never did fly fish, smallmouth on fly would be fun as hell in some of the creeks.

Reactions: JDHoss and awf
Nothing better than a tarpon on fly. I used to fly fish some a bit wade fishing here in Florida. I mostly fish from my kayak now so I find it’s a little too difficult to use fly with all the line n such. I just mostly use spin tackle now. grew up bass fishing in KY but never did fly fish, smallmouth on fly would be fun as hell in some of the creeks.
Nothing like catching a nice Tarpon. I have caught several here around Sanibel

I go to court from time to time in Lee County. That drive on Wilderness Road (think that's what it's named -- US 58 maybe?) from Scott County is gorgeous. Always wanted to go over there and just hike around and check it out a little more. Also, I've heard there is a quaint little German place with great food.

It's been several years since we ate there, but it's really good. BTW, the North Fork of the Holston offers some great smallmouth fishing.

Reactions: Mossip
I grew up in Lee County, Va messing around on the Powell River/Indian Creek on the lower end and have tried to get down that way (Lee/Bell Co) to fish every couple of weeks for the last 6 months or so. Gotta say... it's been good for the soul. Really have gotten into just taking a jon boat to some of the smaller lakes in the area with engine restrictions and hanging with the old man. Largemouth, smallmouth, trout, crappie... whatever.

I've fished the Powell from the Dryden area all the way down to around Arthur, TN. I caught a 4.5 smallmouth in some shoals below the Dryden bridge as a teenager. Caught it on an ultralight Mitchell with 6 lb test on a Heddon Vrazy Crawler. It's still the most exciting catch I've ever made. I flipped that plug in the middle of an eddy where a large tree was down, and it was like a small explosive charge was detonated. Back then, you had to go down to at least Olinger in upper Lee county to fish without sinking up to your knees in coal sludge.

I've fly fished from out west to catching bonefish in exuma. The best place to fly fish east of the mississippi is the cumberland river here in ky. Get a guide, they will float you down, show you the best fly's and you will catch 50 fish a day. My dad used to own a cabin on the river, a mile or so down from the dam. It's turned into an incredible hatchery.

Which kind of fisher bros are you all?

e81eb32d-abd9-47a7-834c-8187a442e5a7_2.fef56e69f8334086acf09558187ab46b.jpeg
or
0eb80b627e7b6f00361652c276f518fd.jpg

I've fly fished from out west to catching bonefish in exuma. The best place to fly fish east of the mississippi is the cumberland river here in ky. Get a guide, they will float you down, show you the best fly's and you will catch 50 fish a day. My dad used to own a cabin on the river, a mile or so down from the dam. It's turned into an incredible hatchery.
Yep. Some monster trout are caught all the way to below Burkesville. I’m not a fly fisherman, but used to catch a few nice ones on the river years ago when I had a boat. Even caught one this spring up a tributary about 3 miles from the river that weighed about 3 pounds.

Reactions: UKRob 73
-did a canoe float down the Cumberland a ways back. Overnight... put in at the dam camped at the rock house. Rainbows on the campfire. I should do that again.
My brother in law and I floated from the dam to Burkesville in a 2 man kayak that he built several years ago. Camped out on the riverbank in the open at Winfrey’s ferry. We stopped at the rock house and ate lunch the second day. Was a blast.

Reactions: rudd1
Be a good one to take the boys on for sure.

Any youtube channels or podcasts?

I've obviously been on Meateater and Das Boat for a bit. Love that crew.

So Fly is pretty good.

The New Fly Fisher is my new obsession. I love this guy. Same as Meateater, you don't even have to like hunting fishing to enjoy this guy. Burn through 2 episodes while on the exercise bike a few times a week.

Orvis podcast with Rosenbauer is a little dry but really informative.

Be a good one to take the boys on for sure.

Any youtube channels or podcasts?

I've obviously been on Meateater and Das Boat for a bit. Love that crew.

So Fly is pretty good.

The New Fly Fisher is my new obsession. I love this guy. Same as Meateater, you don't even have to like hunting fishing to enjoy this guy. Burn through 2 episodes while on the exercise bike a few times a week.

Orvis podcast with Rosenbauer is a little dry but really informative.

It doesn't have much fly info and isn't just limited to fishing but I like the Kentucky Afield podcast.

Fly fished the shallow flats of the Florida Keys for bonefish/tarpon which was a really neat experience. Basically have to hunt/locate them and they fight incredibly hard. Any fish you catch on a fly rod always “feels” like a harder fight vs a spinning rod due to how limber the rod is.

Used to fly-fish the Dix River below Herrington Dam back in the day for trout. Cumberland River is a great place to fly fish for trout if you want a place to get started.

the beaches around Sanibel and Ding Darling Refuge has some great fishing.

Has the red tide gotten any better over there? I’ve been bass fishing mostly lately but want to get back in the salt soon, seems like this is a really bad bloom right now.
I was just at the beach thursday and it seems to be getting better. Didn't see any dead fish. Last week I saw several including a huge loggerhead. FWC were everywhere documenting the loggerhead. I will probably go this week as soon as it warms up and can let you know more

This time of year, where I live in Iowa it is all ice fishing. However, this year the ice just doesn't look appealing to me so far. May get out before the end of winter. Nothing better than crappie, bluegills and walleye through the ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT