ADVERTISEMENT

Florida loses top 2 playmakers to injury in UTM win

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
Their best DB, and projected 1st rounder, CJ Henderson, came out on crutches. Kadarius Toney, their shiftiest, fastest receiver, went to the locker room and both are expected to miss time.

Very unfortunate. Both squads will be missing some key guys Saturday.

Those 2 DEs have seen 2 freshmen, first time starter, offensive tackles (Miami), and 2 FCS offensive tackles. They are solid DE's, but I would definitely take into account how good our oline is compared to those lines.
Agreed. I know we’ve gone against MAC competition through 2 games, but Kinnard and Young and owned that MAC competition about as well as you can in pass protection. Florida will be a step up in competition, but I think Young and Kinnard will hold their own

Smith isn't better than Wilson.

But he does look good enough to (hopefully) still get us to a bowl.

If we don't get a bowl that means we lost to 1-1 SC (loss to NC), UF, MSU, UGA, 1-1 Mizzou at home (lost to Wyoming)

And then 2 of: 0-2 UT, 1-1 UofL, 0-2 Vandy, FCS UTM, or 1-1 Arkansas

If that happens, we are bad far, far, far beyond TW. Just stop, the sky isn't falling and we are easily getting a bowl game. Take a deep breath. This isn't your daddy's UK where losing one player means the season is over. Production and yardage wise, TW is very replaceable. He gives us the RPO advantage and rushing advantage that Sawyer doesnt, but Sawyer gives us a throwing advantage which could losen up the rush defense. There's many ways to look at it. It will be rocky, and we may not be as good overall with Sawyer, but TW doesn't make or break anything.

Last edited:
If we don't get a bowl that means we lost to 1-1 SC (loss to NC), UF, MSU, UGA, 1-1 Mizzou at home (lost to Wyoming)

And then 2 of: 0-2 UT, 1-1 UofL, 0-2 Vandy, FCS UTM, or 1-1 Arkansas

If that happens, we are bad far, far, far beyond TW. Just stop, the sky isn't falling and we are easily getting a bowl game. Take a deep breath.

UTM is easy win #3, no doubt.
And I'm sure we can get at least a couple more.

But I don't think it's crazy to be hesitant about declaring a bowl an absolute certainty with a backup QB.

I think we have a better than 50/50 shot of still getting 6 wins.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. Honestly, before Terry went down I was thinking we might go 10-2 in the regular season. Just not sure what to think until I see how things go against the SEC.

UTM is easy win #3, no doubt.
And I'm sure we can get at least a couple more.

But I don't think it's crazy to be hesitant about declaring a bowl an absolute certainty with a backup QB.

I think we have a better than 50/50 shot of still getting 6 wins.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. Honestly, before Terry went down I was thinking we might go 10-2 in the regular season. Just not sure what to think until I see how things go against the SEC.

You are talking about Sawyer as if he is an inexperienced backup though. Sawyer has game, starter, and bowl experience and had about 350 yards, 4 TDs in a bowl win over a 10 win team.

You are talking about Sawyer as if he is an inexperienced backup thiugh. Sawyer has game, statter, and bowl experience and had about 350 yards, 4 TDs in a bowl win over a 10 win team.

Not trying to diminish him at all. He looked pretty good, and I'm aware of his previous accomplishments.

I'm not one of those "fans" who would rather be right than watch the team or a player win.

I hope we go 12-0 and Smith is the talk of the whole damn college football world.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Agreed. I know we’ve gone against MAC competition through 2 games, but Kinnard and Young and owned that MAC competition about as well as you can in pass protection. Florida will be a step up in competition, but I think Young and Kinnard will hold their own

To be honest, beating two MAC teams (one of which is picked to win the MAC, Toledo, if I'm not mistaken) by double digits > beating a garbage ass ACC team by 4 points (and looking like crap while doing so) and an FCS team in a laugher.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I'm pretty uninformed about football, much more a hoops guy, but I looked at the schedule, and is it just me or is the second half looking way easy outside of the UGA game? The last five appear to be very winnable.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Those 2 DEs have seen 2 freshmen, first time starter, offensive tackles (Miami), and 2 FCS offensive tackles. They are solid DE's, but I would definitely take into account how good our oline is compared to those lines.

100% agree. Our O line is one of the best in the country.

“Per @KassidygHill of Gatorbaitmedia.com, Kadarius Toney will be out 6 to 8 weeks with a shoulder injury.”

From Twitter, not confirmed by UF yet, but would be massive loss. Toney can take it to the house anytime he touches it. The CJ kid who was on crutches, is believed to have a sprain. Unsure about missed time, according to same article.

I don’t wish injuries on anyone, but if these two were to miss the UK game, it would go a long way to us starting a streak of our own.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
6-6 should be the floor if Sawyer stays healthy.

The ceiling may not be much higher but 7-5 seems very doable.

The coaches are comfortable with Smith so that means something. I'm sure Terry can hurt teams more with his running but Smith may be the better passer, we don't know yet. Sometimes Terry's decision making is questionable we will just have to see. I hate it for Terry as hard as he has worked, I didn't think the play looked like that kind of injury but sometimes that happens when you land awkwardly. I hope it's just a sprain and he comes back soon.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Hate to lose any players to injury, be that Terry Wilson or either Gator. Any injury which prevents them from contributing hurts the team. The question is what, or who, can replace them. In the case of UF, the CB loss of Henderson is a big loss due to lack of depth in the secondary. Toney, while an electric playmaker, makes his biggest impact as an athlete. The WR corps as a unit is easily the deepest on the team. There should be little impact at WR.

While there are very many differing opinions on Graham’s play calling the one thing I believe we can all agree on is he does a good job of adjusting the offense to fit the personal on the field and I believe he’ll do just that for Smith

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT