ADVERTISEMENT

Fland and Quaintance playing against the World

We'll see how he adapts or recruits to his system. Then we'll see who he gets to recruit. But coaches who promote positionless basketball often de-emphasize the PG spot.

But good coaches adapt to what is needed and Pope's changed things up so I have faith he'll do it, but recruiting is going to slide back a bit--we need to see who he hires but so many thinking Kentucky was going to be in on guys like Dybantsa with Cal gone are not going to like the outcome. Oats would've had a strong chance to land him because he hired a former AAU Coach in Preston Murphy. Oats will be involved here too. But Hurley and crew offered in early March and a lot of buzz is growing with AJ and UConn over that time. Remember he's from New England area and moved to Prolific Prep in CA just this past year.
Oh trust me I'm just now exciting my 5th stage of grief. I'm unsure about this hire and maybe the bad guy here but I'm trying to ho with it because I like the man and what are my other choices as a Kentucky fan.

I have always respected your opinion. I had hoped Z would return after the bs Cal put him through behind the likes of Ugo., but that now seems like a stretch. Some seem to be so on board I feel like they are forgetting you have to have the guys. Especially in an age of such parity. My main question to you is can Pope recruit well enough to put Kentucky back on top in your opinion?

Reactions: ukfan041
I’m not really sure “Cal’s success getting them drafted” is accurate. Calipari did not “get them drafted”. Calipari recruited them, en masse, to come play for Kentucky. He just recruited exclusively freshman for his teams every year.

It’s not like had 10 of them gone to Arizona, or Miami or USC or UCLA or Kansas or Villanova or Auburn or UT or any number of other schools they’d not have been drafted.
You can say what you want about cal, and most is probably accurate.. He helped kids improve their draft stock. Sure some kids are destined no matter where they go but several weren't

I just watched the first quarter. it shows why we would be better off getting players through the transfer portal if they are in the top tier. Yes, Q has talent, can't hit free throws but will be dominated by any decent experienced big man. Same with most although Harper looked very good. Again, none look like they are just that awesome.
Agree. Hope they both start for Ark next year and they get a taste of what we’ve had to deal with. Freshman just aren’t gonna get it done in March anymore if they are a PG or a big man except for rare occasions and neither of them are rare occasions.

and why are we so sure Pope isn't going to recruit 5 stars. When you recruit for a mormon school, not many 5 stars are going to be interested, they just aren't so why waste your resources on them. How did Nate Oats all the sudden start getting 5 stars, he started recruiting them.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Oh trust me I'm just now exciting my 5th stage of grief. I'm unsure about this hire and maybe the bad guy here but I'm trying to ho with it because I like the man and what are my other choices as a Kentucky fan.

I have always respected your opinion. I had hoped Z would return after the bs Cal put him through behind the likes of Ugo., but that now seems like a stretch. Some seem to be so on board I feel like they are forgetting you have to have the guys. Especially in an age of such parity. My main question to you is can Pope recruit well enough to put Kentucky back on top in your opinion?

Buddy look at the final four the last 4 years and look at Kentucky’s results the last 4 years compared to their recruiting classes. It’s going to take a while for all of us to be de-programmed from whatever Cal was turning UK into but it’ll be ok, I promise.

You can say what you want about cal, and most is probably accurate.. He helped kids improve their draft stock. Sure some kids are destined no matter where they go but several weren't
It’s been a long while since cal helped improve his kids draft stock and in fact they have gotten measurably worse. He had three guaranteed early to mid first rounders this year and all 3 fell off the draft boards to late 2nd rounds.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
It’s been a long while since cal helped improve his kids draft stock and in fact they have gotten measurably worse. He had three guaranteed early to mid first rounders this year and all 3 fell off the draft boards to late 2nd rounds.
Where was Reed projected before the season?

Have to reprogram how you view recruiting. You don’t win titles with a bunch of talented freshmen. Maybe one or two, but the rest are from the portal. Popes going to have to do it his way. Remember, getting all these talented freshmen wasn’t working, and it’s not necessarily even because Cal was a “bad” coach. It’s because he was trotting out young men against grown men.

Have to reprogram how you view recruiting. You don’t win titles with a bunch of talented freshmen. Maybe one or two, but the rest are from the portal. Popes going to have to do it his way. Remember, getting all these talented freshmen wasn’t working, and it’s not necessarily even because Cal was a “bad” coach. It’s because he was trotting out young men against grown men.
Exactly

You can't argue with Cal's success getting players drafted. On that, he is the best there is or maybe ever been. At least since Wooden.
That's shortchanging Calipari. I know. The 'einous sin of 'eresy. But his guys excel as pro players. The most ever in the All-Star game this year. Nobody is that good at evaluating HS players. He actually did teach those guys something.

But we needn't talk about Calipari. He's no longer the coach here.

Reactions: NC Weasel
and why are we so sure Pope isn't going to recruit 5 stars. When you recruit for a mormon school, not many 5 stars are going to be interested, they just aren't so why waste your resources on them. How did Nate Oats all the sudden start getting 5 stars, he started recruiting them.
Of course he will go after 5 stars.The only question is will he get them.

To think he's only 17 too. He should be in class of '25 age wise.

You’re one of my absolute favorites Ralph and love your insights, but if this doesn’t perfectly encapsulate everything about the program I don’t know what does. We would’ve had a 17 year old PG and a 16 year old F/C next year 😂. I mean good lord did Cal have no interest in adapting.

You’re one of my absolute favorites Ralph and love your insights, but if this doesn’t perfectly encapsulate everything about the program I don’t know what does. We would’ve had a 17 year old PG and a 16 year old F/C next year 😂. I mean good lord did Cal have no interest in adapting.

They turn 18 and 17 respectively in July

• Wow
Reactions: Ron Mehico
They turn 18 and 17 respectively in July

lol, ok. I believe Wagner was young for his class as well, correct? That seemed to work out well too. Hopefully Pope will, over time, recruit to the current direction and trend of successful programs and not how Cal was doing it.

What's up with DJ Wagner??? What's the scoop with him. Seems kind of quite
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Exact
Exactly. I love both Fland and jq. But they were getting even younger to keep ky afloat lol.

Dybansta is a stud
That ship sailed and docked in Fayetteville.
Moving forward, UK will occasionally be involved with a Top 25 recruit but they'll be few and far between. Freshmen recruiting classes will be smaller and less of an emphasis. More like 1-2 players from top 150 any given year.

We would have Fland 18 which is reasonable. Had JQ 17, then cal wouldn't play him cause he too young excuse. I almost guarantee that. Got him for two years lol. Doesn't mean he plays two years. CAL is dead set play one year and goodbye... most of all the ones not superior ranked played 2 years or transferred lol

Talented people who are about winning are investments. Not all things are the same and Quaintance you'd have had for 2 seasons at minimum-which is worth the investment there alone.

Boogie Fland is on a team, they will improve and win. That's what he's done in his career in every environment and the evaluation is most important.

Nobody said you go that route every year but I'll take a 17 yr Boogie Fland over a 19 year old DJ Wagner every time I can.

I'd take a 15 yr old Jayden Quaintance over that fat BYU kid that has analytic nerds jizzing themselves. Fact he's 16 and will be 17 next year and have 2 yrs of CBB--even better.

Talented people who are about winning are investments. Not all things are the same and Quaintance you'd have had for 2 seasons at minimum-which is worth the investment there alone.

Boogie Fland is on a team, they will improve and win. That's what he's done in his career in every environment and the evaluation is most important.

Nobody said you go that route every year but I'll take a 17 yr Boogie Fland over a 19 year old DJ Wagner every time I can.

I'd take a 15 yr old Jayden Quaintance over that fat BYU kid that has analytic nerds jizzing themselves. Fact he's 16 and will be 17 next year and have 2 yrs of CBB--even better.

What were people saying about Justin Edwards this time last year? How bout DJ Wagner, especially in comparison to Reed? I think having continuity and experienced players and plugging in a freshman here and there is the way to go. And this isn’t directed to you at all, I just think we needed a shift in philosophy to compete in case a freshman didn’t pan out or needed time to come along. But with Cal we were really relying very heavily on these freshmen and there have been too many the last 6/7 years that just haven’t panned out. It’s going to take a total shift in attitude which will take some time for some fans but I think it’s the way to go. Just imo of course

What were people saying about Justin Edwards this time last year? How bout DJ Wagner, especially in comparison to Reed? I think having continuity and experienced players and plugging in a freshman here and there is the way to go. And this isn’t directed to you at all, I just think we needed a shift in philosophy to compete in case a freshman didn’t pan out or needed time to come along. But with Cal we were really relying very heavily on these freshmen and there have been too many the last 6/7 years that just haven’t panned out. It’s going to take a total shift in attitude which will take some time for some fans but I think it’s the way to go. Just imo of course
Justin Edwards was 20 yrs old though. He was an older FR. He also excelled when he was playing PF and team was playing their best basketball with him at that spot. Cal went back to 24/25 yr old Tre Mitchell out of loyalty and moved Edwards back to the position he didn't play well and look what happened?

DJ Wagner is a guy I never thought was the guy everyone else did, so barking up the wrong tree there. Even after they landed him it was obvious from jump in Toronto the best group on the court was Rob/Reed/Reeves. Now look what the HC chose to do?

Putting a roster together requires finding the best TEAM you can find and building a TEAM which is about blending elite HS talent who fits/puts winning ahead of individual stuff and Portal guys. Cal was insisting on staying true to what he wanted to do and it provided an exciting/fun team but flawed team. It also killed the program he didn't play Edwards at PF spot late in year when team really was excelling and the Head Coach chose to put loyalty to player(s) over what was best for the team. That's on him, not the players.

That ship sailed and docked in Fayetteville.
Moving forward, UK will occasionally be involved with a Top 25 recruit but they'll be few and far between. Freshmen recruiting classes will be smaller and less of an emphasis. More like 1-2 players from top 150 any given year.
I don’t care as long as we get recruits that fit our style of play. Recruiting top classes doesn’t mean we will win, we’ve all seen that

Quaintance turns 17 over the summer.

As for what Calipari wants, I have no idea.

I have no clue about who he will. I suggested a guy who made need a job (not sure if he does) that was G-League Team Ignite HC and West Coast guy (worked at USC) former Syracuse PG Jason Hart. He played a yr or so with Pope in NBA. Some have mentioned Saddi Washington who was at Michigan and recruited well for Juwan Howard.

Mark is going to have $ to pay a staff, so I'm sure he's working hard to get this checked off his list as they have to get going on building the roster.
Great call on this Ralph!!

• Love
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Buddy look at the final four the last 4 years and look at Kentucky’s results the last 4 years compared to their recruiting classes. It’s going to take a while for all of us to be de-programmed from whatever Cal was turning UK into but it’ll be ok, I promise.
Where was Reed projected before the season?
Ccc gets no credit here at all. He didn't even want to recruit him, but was basically forced too. He wouldn't even start him even though he was better than Wagner and edwards. He sure helped their stock didn't he!

Ccc gets no credit here at all. He didn't even want to recruit him, but was basically forced too. He wouldn't even start him even though he was better than Wagner and edwards. He sure helped their stock didn't he!
Wheeler should get a little credit, his inability to shoot caused cal to recruit some shooters so that he could not play them together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT