ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Five-star ready to talk to ....

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
There's a lot of chatter linking Jonathan Kongbo to Southern Cal, because of the interesting timing between the Trojans' offer and the five-star JUCO defensive end's decommitment from the Volunteers. I can't say that's unjustified. It does seem interesting and I'd imagine, at the very least, that Clay Helton's program is in good shape on some level.

It's still worth noting that there's some uncertainty regarding Kongbo's last two official visits. It's been reported elsewhere that Kongbo will officially visit Washington after the dead period. I can't confirm that and I've heard conflicting reports on whether that's set / will actually happen.

Kongbo told me this afternoon that the only conversation he has ever had with D.J. Eliot was when Kentucky's defensive coordinator offered him a scholarship recently. So, let that temper expectations. Eliot had tried to get in touch with Kongbo before, and vice versa (apparently), but they missed one another.

On a brighter note, for those of you who want to keep hope alive, Kongbo said he plans to give D.J. Eliot a call later today. So we'll see if anything comes of that. The dead period will only last so much longer and Kongbo's got to start game planning for those last couple of officials. It doesn't often happen overnight. This conversation could well determine Kentucky's chances, and whether they'll at least get a visit or not. Expect Bud Dupree, the need for a pass rusher, and the SEC to be topics of conversation if the two do connect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.