ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

Really interesting The Genius Life podcast out today on GLP-1’s. Yeah they discuss weight loss but the more interesting results they are finding is how lower doses improve cellular regeneration, specifically in the brain.

Currently there’s a real world trial that’s reached stage 3 looking at effects on GLP-1’s on dementia and Alzheimer’s and results are showing a 53% lower risk of dementia, Alzheimer’s and type II diabetes. Though I’m sure big pharma will find a way to bastardize this like they did with semaglutide : ozemptic :: tirzepatide : mounjaro.
It sort of pisses me off because I really don't want to take any medications, but what if this is truly something you should take to have a healthier life?

The data is leaning more and more to the GLP-1’s being fantastic tools for overall health when microdosed on an ongoing basis. It’s honestly kind of astonishing some of the things being discovered about them…

Maybe I'm a cynic, but something that is supposed to be a miracle drug with no downsides that makes Big Pharma billions per month of reliable income just strikes me as something likely to be good to be true.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
It sort of pisses me off because I really don't want to take any medications, but what if this is truly something you should take to have a healthier life?
Peptides are short-chain amino acids, not medicine. Nothing synthetic about them, they're naturally occurring in the body / our food, but over time we don't produce as much or process as efficiently.

They're the opposite of what Big Pharma is offering as peptides can't be patented. So Eli/Pfizer take semaglutide / tirzepatide and add their proprietary ingredients so they can patent the drug, and that is what many of us have warned against, along with dosage, diet and actually exercising vs. just taking the spike -> you don't know what makes up the new compound.

Reactions: CSC81
Yeah, Hank, not to pile on, but generic peptides (of which GLP-1’s are just one class) are the literal complete opposite of what Big Pharma wants. In fact, their lobbyists are behind the most recent push in which the FDA banned several of them. I know of anecdotal cases from friends with connections to the medical industry, and you can also find some interesting podcasts out there about the whole conspiratorial effort by Big Pharma to oust them.

The only way they can really capitalize on it is taking the original amino chain structures and changing them to some patented formula (e.g. Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro, etc.), but the generic forms can be purchased easily and for fractions of the cost of the prescription shit. The generic forms also have less side effects (practically none in some cases; I have friends that have taken generic Semaglutide and literally didn’t experience a single thing other than the weight loss benefits).

People are starting to discover that, and Big Pharma is terrified by it.

Reactions: Bonzo Cat
Trust that several of us have done extensive research over multiple years on peptides and wouldn't be taking them or recommending them (to my mother of all people, after she had major surgery) if we didn't know the pro's & con's, or were affiliated and distributed by Big Pharma. Which, next to journalists, are a plague on the planet.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Trust that several of us have done extensive research over multiple years on peptides and wouldn't be taking them or recommending them (to my mother of all people, after she had major surgery) if we didn't know the pro's & con's, or were affiliated and distributed by Big Pharma. Which, next to journalists, are a plague on the planet.
Hey Bonzo - I might be missing something here - where can I get peptides? I thought this was the Ozempic stuff? Is there a non script option you recommend?

As CSC said, those Big Pharma brands take the peptide and add their proprietary blend so they can trademark. What we've always referenced is the naturally occurring peptide, not the drug.

Hit me up offline Wayne, as there's plenty of places to buy. The key is in everything else -> goals (add muscle, cut, heal, cognitive function) diet, dosage, time of dosage, workout routine, etc.

I hear about 15 commercials a day about GLP-1s you can order from him or hers.com but not sure if that’s what we’re talking about

I hear about 15 commercials a day about GLP-1s you can order from him or hers.com but not sure if that’s what we’re talking about
Yes, semaglutide and tirzepatide are GLP-1's.

Ozempic is a GLP‑1 analog with 94% sequence homology to human GLP‑1. That 6% is where they patent their compound and make it proprietary. Can't find Mounjaro's breakdown, but guessing it's similar to allow Lilly to patent.

On Friday evening a lightning strike next door knocked out our wifi. We didn't get it fixed until Saturday morning and didn't realize that the 8 Sleep hadn't turned back on Saturday night. My normally very kind, loving wife is currently a raging hellbeast of multiple nights of sleeplessness.

I'll donate plasma before I'll give this damn thing up. Word is bond.

She's lovely on vacation (and in general) but we do actually plan to not sleep as well when we are away from home. Unexpectedly going without the thing reinforced that.

At the suggestion of Anth and his iron overlord, switched up the programming to full body workouts with the theory being less is more at this age, rather than annihilating a muscle group and taking days to recover.

First time in 20 years of lifting to give this a try and two days in, change-of-pace is welcomed. Feel like it'll take some getting used to, as in one sense you can push it for each muscle group and feel fresher, but with only one of legs, chest, back, shoulders, tri or bi, you don't get into a groove or a massive pump.

Gonna give this a 6 week run then reassess.

Still eating clean. Feel good. Gut health is definitely improved. No need for kombucha or late night Tums. My weight loss has kinda plateaued, however. Keepin at it and still enjoying an evening cigar (3 a week).

Changed up my supplements. Thorne Men’s +50 supplement, Magnesium Citrate, L-Argenine Plus, Creatine, all added to my B12, D, Zinc regimen. No more ‘Frank Thomas Boner Pills’ (Nugenix Total T). Wife heard me once mention it by the nickname, and balked at reordering.

Grilled Chicken kebabs, Taziki, Cucumber salad meal prep was easy and completely healthy. Doing the same with lamb next.

Reactions: Bonzo Cat
Grilled Chicken kebabs, Taziki, Cucumber salad meal prep was easy and completely healthy. Doing the same with lamb next.

Made lamb kabobs last night with homemade Tzatziki:
  • 2 lb ground lamb
  • 1/2 cup Italian parsley
  • 1/4 cup grated red onion
  • 6 cloves chopped garlic
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp cardamom
Mix all that up, put it on skewers, grill. Delicious.

Bulked up over the last 12 months - gained 30 lbs but clearly it was all muscle as my bench, squat and dead lift went way up. J/K - it was a ton of fat too. Man, talk about that sneaking up on you. I basically kept my diet the same, but added protein shakes, and did less cardio. Rough back of the envelop math in terms of increased calories / reduced calorie burn = the 105K extra calories that got me to where I was. Sad!

Started to address this in July re: working out more. Made 0 difference in terms of weight.

Started food tracking in August. Made a huge difference. Also ran 100 miles last month on top of lifting.

Question that comes to mind when I see all the talk about high protein (non-keto) diets. How do you effectively maintain a calorie deficit if you are eating your weight in protein grams (or more)? Most people only have time to work out an hour or so per day...

Question that comes to mind when I see all the talk about high protein (non-keto) diets. How do you effectively maintain a calorie deficit if you are eating your weight in protein grams (or more)? Most people only have time to work out an hour or so per day...
This 7.5 oz chicken breast I'm eating is 350 calories and 66 grams of protein. Eat that 3x and I've hit my bodyweight in protein at just over 1k calories.

If you get your protein from quality sources, you don't have to eat massive amounts to reach your bodyweight or more and be in a deficit. Your carb intake is what will determine your caloric surplus or deficit.

I have added a 4th burnout set and a full new exercise per workout. Huffing and puffing, keeping HR above 115 for entire session.

<~~~~ sick of hard-boiled eggs.

Avocados and salads that are great for you, but the associated oil is jammed packed with calories… sneaky bastards.

NOT ALWAYS TRUE: After doing a little baseline meal tracking, ya boy Wayne Dougan was GREAT at getting way too many calories from fat.
True, should have added fats as the other variable to determine + / -.

Point being in addressing Dore's question about protein & bodyweight, whole food sources has way less caloric impact on your daily intake as carbs and fat.

Still eating clean. Feel good. Gut health is definitely improved. No need for kombucha or late night Tums. My weight loss has kinda plateaued, however. Keepin at it and still enjoying an evening cigar (3 a week).

Changed up my supplements. Thorne Men’s +50 supplement, Magnesium Citrate, L-Argenine Plus, Creatine, all added to my B12, D, Zinc regimen. No more ‘Frank Thomas Boner Pills’ (Nugenix Total T). Wife heard me once mention it by the nickname, and balked at reordering.

Believe the conventional wisdom says you need to bump calories for a bit as your body has adjusted to the stress of being undernourished. Then you should be able to go on another cut after a few weeks of reverse diet.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
-Was sick as a dog last week. Whoop was not pleased with my increased body temp, RHR, and Resp Rate. Geez, coughing, sweating, fever, headache mess. Lungs are still a mess but closer to 90%. Had the 8 sleep on 62 degrees and still sweating through it.

-I had been thinking about full body workout because I needed a break from M- Back/Sho, Wed - Legs, Fri - Chest/Tri, Sat - Bis/Sho. I always loved full body.

-Being sick helped kick start the cut. ate clean af all week, very little booze intake. Ready to roll. Just need my lungs back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT