ADVERTISEMENT

Find a way to hire jalen rose

Let me put it this way.... top 5 players out of high school elite .. if a new assisant can’t land those. Then they can also land the KJ’s and IQ’s.

Like I said before I wasn’t bashing those guys.. they just aren’t mega stars like wall cousins Davis towns etc
How can you say not elite, just because of rankings (which are skewed based on physical attributes social media)
KJ and IQ have played 5 games for us, give them time.

So why did they keep recruiting him up until 3 days ago?

Cal was really bummed out after wiseman announced for Memphis during that one interview.... funny he’s harder on himself than you are on Justus

He invested so long in him you had to keep trying but he was signed, sealed, delivered once Penny took that job. To think otherwise is keeping your head in the sand. Ironically, that is where your boy TJ has been over the past few years in the recruiting world.

How can you say not elite, just because of rankings (which are skewed based on physical attributes social media)
KJ and IQ have played 5 games for us, give them time.

when they get to elite then I’ll call them elite. I’m not a psychic .... players can turn out and sometimes they don’t so I’ll just go by what they are right now ... I’m rooting for them and hope they turn into top 3 players.

He invested so long in him you had to keep trying but he was signed, sealed, delivered once Penny took that job. To think otherwise is keeping your head in the sand. Ironically, that is where your boy TJ has been over the past few years in the recruiting world.

Only so many minutes in the day. If it was sealed to Memphis 10 months ago.... you go after a Stewart or someone else hard and spend that time and effort making them the new priority.

Whichever it is... cal will learn from it...

First off. Not bashing IQ or KJ but neither are elite players .... so yeah... getting rid of Justus for someone that can get the elite players would not only get guys like IQ and KJ but they could also get the top 5 players too.
I like your thinking!

So why did they keep recruiting him up until 3 days ago?

Cal was really bummed out after wiseman announced for Memphis during that one interview.... funny he’s harder on himself than you are on Justus
What was Cal supposed to do regarding Wiseman? Announce that he’s no longer recruiting him? It was obvious where Wiseman was going and I think out of respect for Cal and Justus, Wiseman announced early to give us a chance to go after other big men. It’s awful easy for someone like you sitting on their azz in St Louis to talk smack about the coaches and players. You have no clue.

This!

I say good Idea and maybe even see if Mohammed, Walker,Mashburn interested etc.. One of our former guys that had a good NBA carrer. You get Mohanned or Walker you can have Chicago probably locked up. It seems an Elite comes out of there every few years.

Matt Jones. People heard him mention a couple times he believed in the past Rose would be on the staff at some point and believe everything that comes out of his mouth.

It comes from thinking of solutions to our recruiting troubles. Yes we have recruiting troubles. Not gonna succeed in the OAD without getting the elite 5* players and when I say elite 5* I’m talking top 2-3 draft picks, multiple top 7-10 picks. Cal has a system going right now that would be great if we had upper classmen who have been in the system mixed in. How many we have this year? I’ve seen mocks with 1 UK player drafted period.

It comes from thinking of solutions to our recruiting troubles. Yes we have recruiting troubles. Not gonna succeed in the OAD without getting the elite 5* players and when I say elite 5* I’m talking top 2-3 draft picks, multiple top 7-10 picks. Cal has a system going right now that would be great if we had upper classmen who have been in the system mixed in. How many we have this year? I’ve seen mocks with 1 UK player drafted period.
Why can't all the fans understand this!

Reactions: UK2KJAG
?
All I said was he had heard Rose would be here some day and that hasn't happened. It wasn't his random "thinking" of ways to improve the staff. Don't misconstrue my post. He's said it for years and it hasn't happened. Rose is not going to leave his job with ESPN IMO.

Last edited:
Who gives a shit about reading comprehension Cal needs to get top 5 guys or we aren't making it back to the final 4 bottom line!
lol

tenor.gif

The sunshine pumpers need to admit they were wrong and we do have a recruiting problem. There’s a difference between being a fan and blindly following the program. You can criticize and still be fans.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Same old Jalen Rose crap every year....

Again recruiting is not name recognition.... why not get Stephen A Smith he’s actually more known.

Rose was the 3rd best player on a college basketball team that had everything erased from 1991.

Kids we are recruiting now we’re born in 2002 and 2003...

Also college assistants must be tied into the AAU circuits.

Rose and Penny are not close in any respect, especially not this one.

And Rose did nothing in the NBA, not even close to Penny.

Also disregard all the racist and dumb shit comments Rose has made which will be used against us.

And to think Rose would work 365 days kissing up to teenagers isn’t going to happen.

Every single year this comes up, no idea why.

Rose makes $3 million a year as a host of a morning show on weekdays that started this year. He's an in-studio analyst for the NBA and has a 30 minute show televised podcast with his buddy David Jacoby. ESPN has made him one of their highest paid personalities. I don't see him leaving ESPN any time soon and would suggest thinking of alternatives for those on the Rose train to Kentucky.

What was Cal supposed to do regarding Wiseman? Announce that he’s no longer recruiting him? It was obvious where Wiseman was going and I think out of respect for Cal and Justus, Wiseman announced early to give us a chance to go after other big men. It’s awful easy for someone like you sitting on their azz in St Louis to talk smack about the coaches and players. You have no clue.

I have more of a clue than you because i follow what the recruiting gurus say. They all say it was open to U.K. up until the last month meaning there is blame to be had for not landing the kid

You know Carey and Stewart were also Justus guys.... not even in the running anymore.

If you want to keep Justus then we need to change our style and approach because as it is right now we need those top 5 elite high schoolers to win a title

Last edited:
Same old Jalen Rose crap every year....

Again recruiting is not name recognition.... why not get Stephen A Smith he’s actually more known.

Rose was the 3rd best player on a college basketball team that had everything erased from 1991.

Kids we are recruiting now we’re born in 2002 and 2003...

Also college assistants must be tied into the AAU circuits.

Rose and Penny are not close in any respect, especially not this one.

And Rose did nothing in the NBA, not even close to Penny.

Also disregard all the racist and dumb shit comments Rose has made which will be used against us.

And to think Rose would work 365 days kissing up to teenagers isn’t going to happen.

Every single year this comes up, no idea why.

Hold on a min. I put rose name out there this time and qualified it by saying or someone like him that is a household name who played in the league. Don’t be short sighted here and throw the entire argument out based on rose or it having to be someone recruits watches play. The biggest factor for these kids decisions...you ready??? THEIR PARENTS!!! You miss this when you discount a camby or a jalen rose in their living room. I’m sure there is a nice pool of candidates who meet my criteria that are tied into aau ball.

Let me put it to you like this too. Rod Strickland did not hurt us. He met those qualifications and helped land some big time players even though they never watched him play. We need another like Strickland who has a nice well known nba career.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
except there’s plenty of teams right now that are succeeding and winning titles without getting these magical “top 5 guys”...just in Cal era there’s UConn, UL, unc, Villanova.......Butler and Gonzaga have made title games. How many top 5 guys did those teams have ?

Hold on a min. I put rose name out there this time and qualified it by saying or someone like him that is a household name who played in the league. Don’t be short sighted here and throw the entire argument out based on rose or it having to be someone recruits watches play. The biggest factor for these kids decisions...you ready??? THEIR PARENTS!!! You miss this when you discount a camby or a jalen rose in their living room. I’m sure there is a nice pool of candidates who meet my criteria that are tied into aau ball.

Let me put it to you like this too. Rod Strickland did not hurt us. He met those qualifications and helped land some big time players even though they never watched him play. We need another like Strickland who has a nice well known nba career.
I liked having Rod during his time here at UK and have been blasted in the past here for suggesting his return since he left. I wouldn't count on his availability anytime soon though since he was hired as the manager of the G League’s Professional Path Program.

Last edited:
What about Rex? Is that too much of a stretch? Why the hell can we not get Slice or O back anyway?

Not sure about Jalen or if he'd even want to do it.

Here’s how out of my mind I am. What about Tim Duncan? What is he doing these days? What about a retired dirk ? How about Jamal Magloire???

Some get more joy from playing message board defender than U.K. winning.

When Matt Jones who defended tubby until the end admits something is wrong with recruiting ... then these people are just blind or cult worshipers of everyone at U.K. no matter what
Missed what M. Jones said. Do you have a link?

Takes me back to the pre-Cal days when the 5 stars were beating our doors in to hand deliver their LOI's. Thanks for the memories.

Well it shouldn’t bc I paired Cal with UK in my post. Players ultimately come for the combo. Cal needs his assistants to do a better job selling him, playing for him, having him use his league connections, etc. Nice try though

I’m a little different than Matt ... I think a guy like cockburn is all you need... just let him rebound and get put backs and go 4 out 1 in.... not need an elite big but you need someone that can clean up the glass and score garbage pts at least. I mean look at that 2008 Memphis team... big boy down low wasn’t elite but he was a glass eater and dunker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT