ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite non-UK SEC team

bthaunert

All-American
Apr 4, 2007
What specific SEC team was your favorite non-UK team?

I’m going with the 1991-92 Alabama team with Hollywood Robinson (19ppg), Latrell Spreewell (18ppg) and Robert Horry (16ppg). That was a fun team to watch and the SEC was so damn fun then.

Those FL championship teams had my respect. Have to tip your hat to them.

I liked watching Barkley when he was at Auburn.

I pretty much pull for any SEC team playing out of conference, with the exception of GA lately. I just can't bring myself to do it.
Seems like a million years ago now but UGA winning at Memphis in January was pretty sweet.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Rayshaun Hammonds scored 15 points, Anthony Edwards added 13 as Georgia ended No. 9 Memphis’ 10-game winning streak with a 65-62 victory over the Tigers on Saturday.

I’m going with the 1991-92 Alabama team with Hollywood Robinson (19ppg), Latrell Spreewell (18ppg) and Robert Horry (16ppg). That was a fun team to watch and the SEC was so damn fun then.
Uh, what?

Loved that Bama team. Wish I could find those theee games with Bama vs Arkansas that season. Fantastic basketball.

Definitely Arkansas. Moved to the state 6 years ago and have seen a lot more fan support for them than I would have expected. Even easier to pull for them with Anderson gone.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I probably would go with the old Loyola Marymount team that had Hank Gathers and gang. They were so fun to watch and I was pulling for them and then tragedy struck with the Gathers incident. Team still tried keeping it together but it was not to be after Gathers' death. Just had to love them for going through what they faced after that. They sure could score!!!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I really admired some of those old Tulane teams.

They used to have some classic battles with Sewanee that both teams really got up for.

Hard to beat that in the one and done era.

Reactions: bthaunert
Georgia teams with Dominique Wilkins where exciting to watch, but he never played in the NCAA tourney. The 82-83 team with Vern Fleming, Terry Fair, James Banks, and Gerald Cosby went to the Final 4, losing to NC State. Fun team.

Auburn - The 83-84 team of Barkley and Chuck person was fun.

LSU - 90-91 team with Shaq and Vernel Singleton, TJ Pugh and Harold Boudreaux. But loved watching Chris Jackson, Rudy Macklin, Jerry "Ice Reynolds and those guys also.

Alabama - The 80's teams of Bobby Lee Hurt and Buck Johnson, then later with Derrick Mckey, Michael Ansley, David Benoit, Robert Horry, Melvin Cheatum and James Robinson.

UT - Loved Bernard King, beast. Dale Ellis and Tony White where fun to watch also.

Arkansas - The 90's teams like everyone else. Players Darryl Walker and my favorite Razorback Sidney Moncrief. (Showing my age listing him and Bernard King above)

Non SEC teams

NC State team under Jimmy V with SidneyLowe, Thurl Bailey, Dereck Whittenburg, Lorenzo Charles, Ernie Myers.

Phi Slamma Jamma - Hakeem. Clyde, Michael Young and Larry Micheaux.

UNLV - (favorite team ever) Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Greg Anthony.

Players I loved to watch

Len Bias
Isiah Thomas
Pearl Washington
Walter Berry
Hank Gathers
Darryl Griffith

Will add more individual guys. Listing them has me going back down memory lane.

Bama since I have lived here since 1978. My son is a Bama fan and my daughter is AU. I do have one grandkid out of four who wears UK gear.

Georgia teams with Dominique Wilkins where exciting to watch, but he never played in the NCAA tourney. The 82-83 team with Vern Fleming, Terry Fair, James Banks, and Gerald Cosby went to the Final 4, losing to NC State. Fun team.

Auburn - The 83-84 team of Barkley and Chuck person was fun.

LSU - 90-91 team with Shaq and Vernel Singleton, TJ Pugh and Harold Boudreaux. But loved watching Chris Jackson, Rudy Macklin, Jerry "Ice Reynolds and those guys also.

Alabama - The 80's teams of Bobby Lee Hurt and Buck Johnson, then later with Derrick Mckey, Michael Ansley, David Benoit, Robert Horry, Melvin Cheatum and James Robinson.

UT - Loved Bernard King, beast. Dale Ellis and Tony White where fun to watch also.

Arkansas - The 90's teams like everyone else. Players Darryl Walker and my favorite Razorback Sidney Moncrief. (Showing my age listing him and Bernard King above)

Non SEC teams

NC State team under Jimmy V with SidneyLowe, Thurl Bailey, Dereck Whittenburg, Lorenzo Charles, Ernie Myers.

Phi Slamma Jamma - Hakeem. Clyde, Michael Young and Larry Micheaux.

UNLV - (favorite team ever) Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Greg Anthony.

Players I loved to watch

Len Bias
Isiah Thomas
Pearl Washington
Walter Berry
Hank Gathers
Darryl Griffith

Will add more individual guys. Listing them has me going back down memory lane.

Vern Fleming is one of the all time under appreciated great players in SEC and beyond history. Gold Medalist. Long pro career. If he had played in a large market, he would have been a superstar. They talk about Dom Wilkins and he was a great but I would take Vern Fleming if I was building a team. Sadly his jersey hasn’t been and probably never will be retired from UGA basketball...you probably couldn’t find a dozen people in Athens Georgia that know who Vern Fleming is. He was a great gold medalist and player in SEC history

Vern Fleming is one of the all time under appreciated great players in SEC and beyond history. Gold Medalist. Long pro career. If he had played in a large market, he would have been a superstar. They talk about Dom Wilkins and he was a great but I would take Vern Fleming if I was building a team. Sadly his jersey hasn’t been and probably never will be retired from UGA basketball...you probably couldn’t find a dozen people in Athens Georgia that know who Vern Fleming is. He was a great gold medalist and player in SEC history

Agree and it is a shame he has not had his jersey retired. Maybe start a petition. Banks and Terry Fair where pretty damn good to. What was so great about that team, there was not a player over 6-7. Fair at 6-7 played center and did more than hold his own. Every player contributed, they all rebounded and passed the ball and scored. Fleming averaged DD'sin points all 4 years (9.9 his sophomore year close enough), and 17 and 20 his JR. and SR. years.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Have always had a soft spot for Vandy in both BB & FB.

Non-SEC? Lemons & Penders Texas teams,especially the BMW days under Penders. Love watching Gonzaga under Few, fun to watch. UNLV under Tark were also a fun team to watch.

The 2006-07 LSU team with Big Baby Davis and Tyrus Thomas. Love Big Baby, and I actually won a bet that LSU would beat Duke in the Sweet Sixteen. One of my favorite Duke losses ever!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT