ADVERTISEMENT

Fanning Out ?

Is there any connection to this and the opening at Oklahoma State?

I don't normally do this, but I came across Fanning's contract and it appears that it actually expired yesterday, June 30, 2019. So, it seems that UK may have just chosen not to extend him further. Belanger seems to have the same expiration date on his contract.

https://www.uky.edu/legal/sites/www.uky.edu.legal/files/Fanning_2018.pdf

https://www.uky.edu/legal/sites/www.uky.edu.legal/files/Belanger_2018.pdf

I haven't read all of these, but considering that we have heard no news about a contract extension for either of those... it might indicate that we may end up having a full coaching staff overall (except Ming, whose contract is through 2021).

Not the coach I was expecting to not return. Interesting indeed. Replacement is said to be a Miss. St. assistant that Minge used to work with. Will Coggin??

Replacement is said to be a Miss. St. assistant that Minge used to work with. Will Coggin

Seems like a terrible idea to me. I don't know much about Coggin, but he was let go by the new MSU coaching staff after Cohen and, to my knowledge, he failed to land anywhere else. I guess he's been working as an agent since then?

This coaching staff, IMO, needs more quality experience. Mingione, Belanger, and Fanning are/were all young. Guilliams is the older guy, but I think it wouldn't hurt to add another guy with quality experience. Coggin will have to step into the recruiting game with absolutely no connections to any high school players and we expect him to be able to recruit them to UK. That is a tall order, and with a coaching staff on the ropes, it is, IMO, a poor change.

Seems like a terrible idea to me. I don't know much about Coggin, but he was let go by the new MSU coaching staff after Cohen and, to my knowledge, he failed to land anywhere else. I guess he's been working as an agent since then?

This coaching staff, IMO, needs more quality experience. Mingione, Belanger, and Fanning are/were all young. Guilliams is the older guy, but I think it wouldn't hurt to add another guy with quality experience. Coggin will have to step into the recruiting game with absolutely no connections to any high school players and we expect him to be able to recruit them to UK. That is a tall order, and with a coaching staff on the ropes, it is, IMO, a poor change.

Coggin was working for Black Op Sports> have no idea who that is. He was let go after 1 year as recruiting coordinator for Miss. State. This has disaster written all over it.

Coggin was working for Black Op Sports> have no idea who that is. He was let go after 1 year as recruiting coordinator for Miss. State. This has disaster written all over it.

I am not going to hold it against him that he was let go after one year. The reason I am not going to do that is because it came at a weird time. I think what happened was that Mingione left to coach UK, and then they promoted Coggin in June of 2016. Cohen then stepped down in November of 2016 and they hired Andrew C (whatever his last name is) and Coggin stayed on the staff for the 2017 season. After the year, they let him go. So, basically it allowed Andrew C to get the guy he wanted in there. Not necessarily a knock on Coggin.

As far as I can tell, Black Ops Sports is an agent company based out of Lexington. There is a story about how they helped to get Denzil Ware in trouble when they gave him money.

https://www.nationofblue.com/denzil-ware-was-suspended-for-taking-money-from-an-agent/

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I wonder if part of this is the possibility of Mingione knowing/understanding that he is on a short leash and that he could possibly get the ax after next year?

Coggins is presumably already in Lexington given that he works for a company of agents based out of Lex. So, that means he doesn't really have to uproot himself and make any major life changes and can take the UK assistant job and cash in a 12k per month paycheck for the next year. So, the risk for Coggin is somewhat low, and it allows him to get back into coaching, especially in the SEC. Maybe UK doesn't replace Belanger because it is hard to find a coach with experience that is already in town and ready to take over the bullpen duties?

Just spit balling.

^ If that we’re the case CB, there’s probably no reason to change anything. Just renew for a year and let the chips fall.

Must be a disconnect or something for this to occur and maybe it will work out for all concerned. One can only hope.

^ If that we’re the case CB, there’s probably no reason to change anything. Just renew for a year and let the chips fall.

Must be a disconnect or something for this to occur and maybe it will work out for all concerned. One can only hope.

That is true. I just don't know why you'd cut Fanning and not cut Belanger. Especially given that Fanning has a top 10 class (8th) in 2020.

Still, I don't fully know the responsibilities of Fanning. Just recruiting and coaching outfielders? Does he coach the infield as well? Is that part of the problem, the defense was poor? I am not even sure what part of the job I should be judging him on other than recruiting.

P.S. I didn't realize a kid from my HS alma mater is committed to UK in 2020. https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=447091 Rueben Church. I will have to see if I can get out to a game to watch him next spring. I don't follow local sports too much, but I can't say that I have heard his name before.

Ohh... and a kid from Knoxville's Farragut HS, https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=484228, Ryan Hagenow. That means I will have to try to get out to a Maryville/Farragut game. Hopefully the two match up.

Reactions: parrott
If you read his statement, this sorta seemed like a shock to him. I’ll admit, he’s not the first coach I thought would get replaced.

Not good at all and no way to explain it.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Crazy question, but does anybody think Flynn and Coach Madison could come on board and help them for a couple of years in some capacity?

Crazy question, but does anybody think Flynn and Coach Madison could come on board and help them for a couple of years in some capacity?

Im going to go with no. Maybe Madison could do a role like Freddie Maggard did with the football program. But I really see no benefit.

That is true. I just don't know why you'd cut Fanning and not cut Belanger. Especially given that Fanning has a top 10 class (8th) in 2020.

Still, I don't fully know the responsibilities of Fanning. Just recruiting and coaching outfielders? Does he coach the infield as well? Is that part of the problem, the defense was poor? I am not even sure what part of the job I should be judging him on other than recruiting.

P.S. I didn't realize a kid from my HS alma mater is committed to UK in 2020. https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=447091 Rueben Church. I will have to see if I can get out to a game to watch him next spring. I don't follow local sports too much, but I can't say that I have heard his name before.

Ohh... and a kid from Knoxville's Farragut HS, https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=484228, Ryan Hagenow. That means I will have to try to get out to a Maryville/Farragut game. Hopefully the two match up.

Did not realize you lived in Maryville "Comebatatz3. I lived in Knoxville for over 25 years. Knox Halls graduate. I ran the youth athletic program for Knox County for 20 years. Hagenow played in my program growing up. He comes from an athletic family. Brother plays at MTSU. He is really good. Probably will be drafted high & may never see the campus. The Church kid played in a summer league I ran as well. Very good player.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Did not realize you lived in Maryville "Comebatatz3. I lived in Knoxville for over 25 years. Knox Halls graduate. I ran the youth athletic program for Knox County for 20 years. Hagenow played in my program growing up. He comes from an athletic family. Brother plays at MTSU. He is really good. Probably will be drafted high & may never see the campus. The Church kid played in a summer league I ran as well. Very good player.
The way it works @UK

It really is a small world. I have lived in Maryville (outside of going to school) for about 24 years or so. I went to Maryville in the early 2000s back when they were still a 4A school and Knox Halls was in our district. I always enjoyed going to those games, Halls had a pretty unique and rowdy environment.

The way I see it, if you're good enough to be a starting pitcher for Farragut then you have the goods. There is a reason they regularly are winning state, or right there on the doorstep of doing so. He also seems to be a pretty big kid with a projectable frame. Church looks like a future third baseman to me. Haven't seen him play, but that is what his body type looks like to me. Last time a Blount County kid, Trevor Clifton, got a UK offer he decided to go pro, but maybe Church will be different.

Coach Bo asked me to go watch Clifton ( Heritage) & Kole Cottam ( Knox Catholic) in the playoffs a few years ago and give him my opinion. First off, I was flattered that he trusted me enough to give my baseball opinion on two kids UK were involved in. Cottam had a great game & Clifton was good....but had a hard time finding the strike zone. Long story short, both were offered & Cottam enrolled at UK.

I graduated from HS in 1982. We were 24-6 my senior year. Farragut was in our district & beat us in1 of the district games, beat us for district tournament, and beat us to advance to the state that year. Guess who won it in '82/ Farragut.

Coach Bo asked me to go watch Clifton ( Heritage) & Kole Cottam ( Knox Catholic) in the playoffs a few years ago and give him my opinion. First off, I was flattered that he trusted me enough to give my baseball opinion on two kids UK were involved in. Cottam had a great game & Clifton was good....but had a hard time finding the strike zone. Long story short, both were offered & Cottam enrolled at UK.

That is really awesome. I can't say that I have that ability at all. haha. I have met Clifton's sister several times in passing and she basically admitted to me that he didn't have a whole lot of interest in school. So, even before he signed professionally, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't be at UK given that he didn't have the interest in the further education part.

I graduated from HS in 1982. We were 24-6 my senior year. Farragut was in our district & beat us in1 of the district games, beat us for district tournament, and beat us to advance to the state that year. Guess who won it in '82/ Farragut.

I too hate Farragut. haha

That is really awesome. I can't say that I have that ability at all. haha. I have met Clifton's sister several times in passing and she basically admitted to me that he didn't have a whole lot of interest in school. So, even before he signed professionally, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't be at UK given that he didn't have the interest in the further education part.

That is the exact story I heard on Clifton. Staff pretty much knew he wasn't interested in the education bit. Man, that kid threw hard! Low to Mid 90's .

That is the exact story I heard on Clifton. Staff pretty much knew he wasn't interested in the education bit. Man, that kid threw hard! Low to Mid 90's .

That class could have been insanely good had we gotten those three stud pitchers to come to school. Clifton, Green, and Hollon. Heck, if we could have just bagged one of those it would have been really nice.

I don’t have many sources but in this case I do and Coggins will be the new assistant baseball coach.

I don't normally do this, but I came across Fanning's contract and it appears that it actually expired yesterday, June 30, 2019. So, it seems that UK may have just chosen not to extend him further. Belanger seems to have the same expiration date on his contract.

https://www.uky.edu/legal/sites/www.uky.edu.legal/files/Fanning_2018.pdf

https://www.uky.edu/legal/sites/www.uky.edu.legal/files/Belanger_2018.pdf

I haven't read all of these, but considering that we have heard no news about a contract extension for either of those... it might indicate that we may end up having a full coaching staff overall (except Ming, whose contract is through 2021).
Bingo

Reactions: 8484ron
* liked by Mingione even though it looks like a clear shot at him lol

Some of these guys really don’t like the head ball coach.

Pompey, IIRC, was very unhappy with the coaching changes, especially Fanning.

Fanning had a ton of positive energy that the plays really loved. He was always bouncing around and I think he made it fun to go to the ballpark. So, I am sure that many of them are bitter that he is gone. I don’t think it helps that we brought on Coggin, who wasn’t even coaching baseball, to replace him. If we had brought in like Troy Tolowitski (as Texas did), or Matt Holliday (as Oklahoma State did) or just some big time assistant that was established then I can imagine that might soften the blow, but instead, as I said, we brought in a guy that wasn’t even coaching.

That being said, I think the current players may be responding positively to the new staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT