ADVERTISEMENT

Excluding Cawood Ledford, who's your favorite play by play announcer in different sports, past or present?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
I like

College basketball - Dick Enberg
College Football - Vern Lundquist
Boxing - Howard Cosell
NBA - Marv Albert
ML Baseball - Al Michaels

Reactions: deep3
NBA: Dick Enberg

When did Dick Enberg ever do the NBA?

He certainly did a ton of college basketball, but I don’t recall him EVER doing NBA games. What a weird choice.

Last edited:
When the hell did Dick Enberg ever do the NBA?

He certainly did a shit ton of college basketball, but I don’t recall him EVER doing an NBA game. What a weird choice.
He called some games for NBC. I dont remember him doing a lot of them though, but I do remember him calling some.

I enjoyed Tom Hammond calling NBA on NBC games.

Reactions: ruppcat
He called some games for NBC. I dont remember him doing a lot of them though, but I do remember him calling some.

Fair enough. If so, then I must’ve missed or forgotten the few he did.

Marv Albert was always NBC’s main NBA guy, and I also recall Tom Hammond and Bob Costas doing plenty NBA games for NBC. But Dick Enberg was instead always associated with college basketball, not the pros (NBC didn’t even start doing NBA games until the 90s when his career was near its end).

So he seems a strange choice for that category.

College football---Lindsey Nelson
NFL----Ray Scott
NBA---Marv Alpert
Baseball---Jack Buck
College Basketball---Joe Dean
Wrestling---Gordon Soley
Boxing----Don Dunphy

Last edited:
This wont be a popular answer...BUT: Dickie V about "30 years ago." Brought so much energy to each and every broadcast and took college basketball to another level. Loved hearing and watching him back then. But times have changed a bit for sure. But given what he brought to the sport...Hall of Famer very well deserved!! Anyone on here around 60 knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Hookshooter66
Mel Allen -- baseball

I think Tom Leach details the game better than Cawood did, but Leach's screaming is a deal breaker. It's not only excessive, it seems a little faked.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Mel Allen -- baseball

I think Tom Leach details the game better than Cawood did, but Leach's screaming is a deal breaker. It's not only excessive, it seems a little faked.
Not sure about detailing the game part but agree totally on the screaming part. I can’t listen to Leach at all.

Marty Brennaman.

And of course:

bobby-heenan-deathjpg.jpg

Reactions: STL_Cat
I like Leach and the cowboy, and as another poster said Tommy Thrall has grown on me. Dave Lapham and Dan Hoard are awesome, but the best announcer duo is and always will be Lance Russell and Dave Brown

Mel Allen -- baseball
Are you just saying that because of his work narrating the This Week in Baseball TV show?

The Yankees abruptly fired him as their radio guy in the early 60s and he never did play by play again. so I kinda doubt you actually heard him do games. His voice is most remembered for his later work doing the TWIB show.

Are you just saying that because of his work narrating the This Week in Baseball TV show?

The Yankees abruptly fired him as their radio guy in the early 60s and he never did play by play again. so I kinda doubt you actually heard him do games. His voice is most remembered for his later work doing the TWIB show.
You're talking about the only time I ever listened to baseball. 1959-1862. Baseball was the perfect game to listen to while I mowed the lawn on Saturday afternoons.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT