ADVERTISEMENT

Ewe Tea adding "talent fee" to ticket prices

Like I said in the other thread, crazy how quickly this went from let them sign some autographs to adding talent fees to tickets. I didn’t have an issue with the original premise of NIL, but we are far from that original model now.

To make matters worse, I saw an article earlier that said that “the governor of Georgia has signed an executive order prohibiting the NCAA or any conference or organization from enforcing NIL rules or taking “adverse action” against Georgia schools for facilitating or offering NIL compensation to athletes. “ I can see a lot of states doing the same. So now they won’t even need to make these little fees. They can just literally drop it off at their front door. The NCAA is a dead man walking at this point and college has turned pro.

The NCAA at this time.....

Weekend At Bernies Hello GIF

Like I said in the other thread, crazy how quickly this went from let them sign some autographs to adding talent fees to tickets. I didn’t have an issue with the original premise of NIL, but we are far from that original model now.
Exactly this. Schools should have never been allowed to be involved in this. If athletes got paid to do commercials or make for profit IG posts and such on their own time, thats up for them to secure. The schools putting their hands in it have made college sports pay for play. It's only going to get messier until a better solution is in place.

Teams with the biggest purse strings that is loose with the money will get the kids.
HS players here in Memphis are already making NIL money before stepping on campus. Things have sure changed since the Emery incident.

Just wait until the collectives get more organized and competitive. There will eventually college programs with annual salary outputs surpassing $30 million for football, and $10 million/year for basketball.

It will only climb over time.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
College athletics will soon be dead. Athletes should be able to broker deals where they make money but outright receiving a “salary” for playing at a school is not palatable to me. I’m losing interest. I still care and I still want to tune in but I am approaching a “take it or leave it” position.

If they extend the fee to every ticket, and assuming UT sells out all of their home games each season, that's seven home games and an extra $5.7 million towards their NIL each year.

I bet that number doubles within three years.

If they extend the fee to every ticket, and assuming UT sells out all of their home games each season, that's seven home games and an extra $5.7 million towards their NIL each year.

I bet that number doubles within three years.
Yep and they will start to increase those tickets as time passes especially if they are selling out. The businesses never take the hit it’s always the consumers! You want a competitive team as a fan you will get it but guess what as a fan you will pay for it! They might as well just make them professionals and not even make them go for an education. It’s really going to become a joke on the amount of money these players will be taking in! When it gets to that point those players will always look real nice on my 70” big screen every game.

Reactions: BBUK
Indeed, I knew this NIL thing would spin out of control, but it was crazy how fast it happened. Like virtually instantly.

There really was no period of time where this worked the “original premise” way they first told us it would.

Teams with the biggest purse strings that is loose with the money will get the kids.
As much as I hate to admit it, Tennessee is ahead of the game here. It might also be why they have landed 2 of the top 3 OTs in this football class. And not to mention, a player who gets paid in Tennessee won't have to pay state income taxes.

Schools with money always get the top talent anyway, but this will be about managing your NIL budget the best and still getting players who have the desire to play/win/improve over those who get lazy once they get their bag dropped.

We all knew they were semi-pro getting paid under the table before any of this was legal anyway. Assistant football coaches who were the best at hiding their illicit payments to recruits were the ones who were getting ridiculous raises because that was part of their slush budget.

If fans have to pay a talent fee as part of the cost of their season ticket cost, do they get a credit back the following year if the "talent" didn't perform well on the court?

OR, what if a team had a bunch of draft picks on the roster but only won, let's say...nine games. The talent was there, so will the coach be required to reimburse fans?

Just spit ballin'

If fans have to pay a talent fee as part of the cost of their season ticket cost, do they get a credit back the following year if the "talent" didn't perform well on the court?

OR, what if a team had a bunch of draft picks on the roster but only won, let's say...nine games. The talent was there, so will the coach be required to reimburse fans?

Just spit ballin'

Well obviously the answer is no but what you mentioned is one of the main reasons I'll never pay a penny to NIL.

People pay NIL and get nothing in value in return. I mean look at A&M big spenders in football. They don't win anything that matters and probably never will. Same with our football team and yet the fans continue leading the donate monthly to NIL cause.

Basketball we have enough Richie riches to pay for a dozen guys a season so again idk why any normal person should be expected to donate. If the team doesn't make the final four or win the title was the money spent even worth it? Even if they do win a title, do the NIL donates get a mythical championship ring? More likely just the same bragging rights the rest of us have always had.

Again, 100% get its the world we live in and never going back. Schools have to play the game but some of us fans don't have to.

Indeed, I knew this NIL thing would spin out of control, but it was crazy how fast it happened. Like virtually instantly.

There really was no period of time where this worked the “original premise” way they first told us it would.
That is a good point. Some programs tried to keep it within the rules, while others pretty much let their boosters run wild.

Just spit ballin'
Along these lines, if we’re going down this rabbit hole, let’s make things REALLY interesting and turn college sports in to pay for performance. You win, you get compensated. You lose, well, not so much.

Should produce some spirited effort in every matchup!

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Professional players have to have tax accountants keep up with their income taxes when they play in a venue with a state and local income tax. Colleges and Universities are generally tax exempt institutions but if this goes universal then watch various governments require the athletes to pay on their income for the games in their purview.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Exactly this. Schools should have never been allowed to be involved in this. If athletes got paid to do commercials or make for profit IG posts and such on their own time, thats up for them to secure. The schools putting their hands in it have made college sports pay for play. It's only going to get messier until a better solution is in place.

There won't be one. Courts keep striking down any rules and regulations.

Just spit ballin'
nine games seems oddly specific

There's no other option. Every time the NCAA tries to limit this they get taken to court and lose. The only way to actually limit this now is for players to collectively bargain and agree to restrictions. Absent that the NCAA cannot legally put restrictions on it unless Congress passes a law.

As much as I hate to admit it, Tennessee is ahead of the game here. It might also be why they have landed 2 of the top 3 OTs in this football class. And not to mention, a player who gets paid in Tennessee won't have to pay state income taxes.

Schools with money always get the top talent anyway, but this will be about managing your NIL budget the best and still getting players who have the desire to play/win/improve over those who get lazy once they get their bag dropped.

We all knew they were semi-pro getting paid under the table before any of this was legal anyway. Assistant football coaches who were the best at hiding their illicit payments to recruits were the ones who were getting ridiculous raises because that was part of their slush budget.
Pro sports suck

I don’t like it anymore than the rest, but it is here to stay and we should embrace and try to be on the forefront of this stuff at UK. Like it or not, this is a savvy move by UT and it will pay dividends in recruiting. Personally, I don’t mind to pay a 10% fee for tickets that I purchase if I know it’s going directly to recruiting. Much better than all of it just going into the universities pockets.

This is just my opinion people I know disagree and I get that. Just feels like the more hesitant we as a fan base are to accept this new world gives our athletic dept license to continue to fall behind what many schools have been doing for a long time now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT