ADVERTISEMENT

Everything wrong with Cal's coaching summed up.

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
It seems relatively easy to sum up the same issue year to year with Cal's coaching. No instructions of what an individual player is to NOT do during a game. I see people here suggesting the issue of the offense going back to the big man mentality. Agree to disagree. Re-watch the game.

It was obvious in the beginning they wanted to get Edwards going in driving to the basket. However, quickly the offense dissolved to one on one versus team play with first shot mentality. Was there any instruction on this? Didn't seem to be. Then insert Dillingham who was a nightmare taking bad shots, trying to play "me" ball (and I read he knew some of the other players from North Carolina) and perhaps was trying to show off. I was screaming for Cal to take him out and coach him. Nope. So now we are behind. Then, for whatever reason, Reed is not even looking for his shot. Was there any coaching on this with the team to screen and get him looks. Nope. Instead again mainly first open look shot mentality. So, similar to last season, we now see some forced shots and bad passes. Insert Bradshaw and Edwards throws him a pass at his ankles. Time out for instruction? Nope.

Last season I kept complaining with Boston not seeming to get any in-game instructions on what to do. Some said how do we know what Cal is instructing or not and others said perhaps the players don't listen. I think that argument is weak when we see the same coaching from year to year. Also, for whatever reason Reeves does not seem to be a crunch time reliable shooter. By now wouldn't a coach know this?

I just don't understand when you see glaring errors being made there never seems in the moment to be any coaching about it. This is now new.

It seems relatively easy to sum up the same issue year to year with Cal's coaching. No instructions of what an individual player is to NOT do during a game. I see people here suggesting the issue of the offense going back to the big man mentality. Agree to disagree. Re-watch the game.

It was obvious in the beginning they wanted to get Edwards going in driving to the basket. However, quickly the offense dissolved to one on one versus team play with first shot mentality. Was there any instruction on this? Didn't seem to be. Then insert Dillingham who was a nightmare taking bad shots, trying to play "me" ball (and I read he knew some of the other players from North Carolina) and perhaps was trying to show off. I was screaming for Cal to take him out and coach him. Nope. So now we are behind. Then, for whatever reason, Reed is not even looking for his shot. Was there any coaching on this with the team to screen and get him looks. Nope. Instead again mainly first open look shot mentality. So, similar to last season, we now see some forced shots and bad passes. Insert Bradshaw and Edwards throws him a pass at his ankles. Time out for instruction? Nope.

Last season I kept complaining with Boston not seeming to get any in-game instructions on what to do. Some said how do we know what Cal is instructing or not and others said perhaps the players don't listen. I think that argument is weak when we see the same coaching from year to year. Also, for whatever reason Reeves does not seem to be a crunch time reliable shooter. By now wouldn't a coach know this?

I just don't understand when you see glaring errors being made there never seems in the moment to be any coaching about it. This is now new.
Send this to Barnhart immediately., he likes a good laugh.

Just want to point out Boston was here 3 years ago, not last season. Did you mean wheeler or Wallace?

I was informed in another thread that Cal has zero responsibility or obligation to do the things you've described. His job is over after they sign. It's up to the players to figure these things out and stay on course during a game.

Good question.
Or Edwards. The kid missed shot after shot all game, including several threes. But the play with about 2 and change to go had Sheppard driving into the lane to kick out to Edwards?!? It was clearly a designed play. Cal is so obsessed with getting his diamond lotto picks out of their funks, he'll gamble all game and design plays for the one guy who is in the bottom tier of 3-point percentage on our team.

That play should have been Shep to Reeves, or Reeves to Sheppard. Edwards had no business standing around on the perimeter waiting to launch another brick.

We dont screen...Cal is getting them ready for the league, its like Red Lobsters create your own platter, you have to be able to create your own shot, next time you see a screen please let me know so I can see it. It really amazes me. Good write up.

h8Vp6iG.png

Good question.
Reeves missed one three pointer yesterday. Certainly was a big one that he missed as would have given us a 1 point lead with 4:30 to go but had also been about a half hour since the first and only other one he took. Reeves went 5-9 yesterday and 1-2 from 3. Pretty strange to pick on him for not performing yesterday. He wasn’t involved in the offense enough, Edwards on the other hand was with his 4-14 (0-5) effort. Cal has to make sure the right people are getting the shots they need to in a game like yesterday. He didn’t do that nor did he do anything defensively to disrupt what they were doing very successfully the last 10 minutes of the game. He continues to earn his appropriate nickname of CCC.

Reeves is a no-show when it matters. Reeves plays terrible on ball defense because he wants to run to the end and shoot. He was horrible on defense Saturday. He allows his man to do whatever he wants and makes very little effort to rebound or hustle for loose balls.

Hmmm interesting. Cal clearly wanted to get Edwards going against an “inferior” opponent. He probably thought it would be a relatively easy game. I was blown away when realizing Edwards took FOURTEEN shots. WOW! 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: KFuqua and jrm693
Hmmm interesting. Cal clearly wanted to get Edwards going against an “inferior” opponent. He probably thought it would be a relatively easy game. I was blown away when realizing Edwards took FOURTEEN shots. WOW! 🤦‍♂️
You didn't realize it during the game when he just kept chucking up garbage?

The three he hoisted when UK absolutely needed a bucket was a "throw the remote" irrational fan move that I thought I had given up on the last 3 years. Shame on me for thinking Cal would EVER change.

The point of my post was not to diss the players. Reeves has looked awesome at time as have all of our team. The issue is that never does there seem to be any in-game coaching about some of the decisions other than substituting. How hard was it too tell the team to slow just a bit down so as not to have unforced turnovers make some truly bad passes, or rush the first open look? How hard was it to tell Dillingham to cut the Me offense or take a seat? How hard was it to tell Reed to actually play more unselfish? All of these I saw in the first 10-15 minutes of the first half.

The individuals need instruction during a game was my point and yes I keep thinking about Boston as one who so glaringly was allowed free reign with seemingly no instruction during a game. So I did mix Wallace as again same story. But, it has been the same story over and over.

There was no excuse to lose to UNC Wilmington. NONE if Cal had simply stopped what was so obvious I think to so many on what we were and were not doing. INSTRUCT!

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You didn't realize it during the game when he just kept chucking up garbage?

The three he hoisted when UK absolutely needed a bucket was a "throw the remote" irrational fan move that I thought I had given up on the last 3 years. Shame on me for thinking Cal would EVER change.
Oh I noticed he took the five 3s. Just didn’t realize he took 14 total shots.

The point of my post was not to diss the players. Reeves has looked awesome at time as have all of our team. The issue is that never does there seem to be any in-game coaching about some of the decisions other than substituting. How hard was it too tell the team to slow just a bit down so as not to have unforced turnovers make some truly bad passes, or rush the first open look? How hard was it to tell Dillingham to cut the Me offense or take a seat? How hard was it to tell Reed to actually play more unselfish? All of these I saw in the first 10-15 minutes of the first half.

The individuals need instruction during a game was my point and yes I keep thinking about Boston as one who so glaringly was allowed free reign with seemingly no instruction during a game. So I did mix Wallace as again same story. But, it has been the same story over and over.

There was no excuse to lose to UNC Wilmington. NONE if Cal had simply stopped what was so obvious I think to so many on what we were and were not doing. INSTRUCT!
He said postgame that he actually had to run plays to get guys to shoot. Lulz yeah, Cal, that’s what a COACH does. 🤦‍♂️

• Angry
Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT