ADVERTISEMENT

Evansville Should Forever More Stand Out When Fans Insist Early Season Games Mean Nothing

I think it's being overblown. Yes, in these stupid rankings like NET, it matters. But when the selection committee sits down to do the bracket, I don't think it will have any impact on where we are put. It was just too much of a fluke loss and Evansville lost their coach mid season. I'm pretty sure 50%+ of our losses we had Khalil as a starter. Wish they would take that into account he was prolly -20 on the court every time he played

Yes, in these stupid rankings like NET, it matters. But when the selection committee sits down to do the bracket, I don't think it will have any impact on where we are put.

You do realize the NET is the only rankings the selection committee actually considers, right? It's the official one the committee uses as its guidepost. So, yeah, it actually does matter.

Agree that all games matter.

I am curious, though, will the committee take into account the scandal and coaching change for Evansville? Sure, they had a few losses and a few wins after the beat us under Walter, but I seriously doubt if Walter was still their coach if they would be on such an awful losing streak. Will this be taken into account at all in evaluating “how” bad this loss truly was for UK? Will any consideration be given to the circumstances?

You do realize the NET is the only rankings the selection committee actually considers, right? It's the official one the committee uses as its guidepost. So, yeah, it actually does matter.
Look at the NCAA seedings last year and compare them to the final AP poll. Very close. If Kentucky finishes strong and is ranked 5-7 in the AP poll, the Cats will be a 2 seed. Drop a couple games and end up 8-12, a 3 seed. You can write it down. Some outlier of a NET ranking, based on a mid-November game with a dinged up lineup will not outweigh everything that has happened since.

EVERY game matters; it is great to improve in late February/March but those early season contests can impact your whole resume. As they should.
Might want to wait until the season ends. This would be a silly thread if we run the table end 26-5 then bring home#9. If big IF we do those things and end up a 2 seed, then Evansville did not matter.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Every game matters but 1 loss even to Evansville isn't a huge deal. What that evansville loss truly means is we can't reach a 1 seed without a TON and I mean a freaking TON of help. So much so that it is smart to say we have no chance at a 1 seed. If we hadn't had that loss we would be a team that wins out and are the 4th or 5th overall seed. Now the best we can do is the 6th or 7th seed.

So does it matter . Yes . Does it matter enough to talk about it like Mike Trout taking a bat to a clydesdale to beat the proverbial horse , hell no . A loss like Evansville has never happened before with Cal and will never happen again so really no point in dwelling on it .All the other losses sans Utah are good losses and Utah is 15-12 so it isn't like they are dogcrap . We lose games like Utah every single year.

Might want to wait until the season ends. This would be a silly thread if we run the table end 26-5 then bring home#9. If big IF we do those things and end up a 2 seed, then Evansville did not matter.
That isn't quite true but it matters in such a small way that there is no need to dwell on it . It is a lifetime ago in season view just like the MSU game. That was an entirely different team then who we are know and anyone with eyes knows this .

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat

But, there are OTHER considerations. For example, last year, Duke was not penalized for losses during Zion's absence. At the same time, UNC was given the benefit of beating Duke twice without Zion in the lineup.

If we were to lose NR in the final seconds of the semi's of the SEC tournament, I have no doubt that we would drop like a rock in seeding even if we win out.

And, just for conversation, isn't it interesting that this method of selection was put in place when UK had the rep of losing early games and coming on strong in the tournament?

Last edited:
It's not just the fans who need to remember this, it's the program itself. Strategic scheduling and execution to position the team to be successful in the tournament should just be a part of the mission to win championships.

No denying the Evansville loss was a bad one. Probably the worst one in the Cal era. It happens. UK is much improved since then.
When the tounrey starts, it won't matter at all.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Maybe because their coach was caught screwing around with cheerleaders and got fired? Nah. That couldn’t be it.

That's not why he was fired. You're buying into bogus rumors.

The issue was him being too grabby with undergrad girls, and continuing even after being warned. Contrary to rumors, it had nothing to do with screwing cheerleaders.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevieJFTW07
When we say this, though, we are implying that the team you see in November is not the same one we will see in March. Not that the games don't matter.

I do agree, we have to win all games. I also think, the NCAA/Media is milking this loss for all it's worth. If Duke lost to Evansville (SFA is a good deal better), they'd have forgotten about it by now.

It was in November with two of our starters hurt and the game was decided as time expired, basically.

Obviously it's a game you're supposed to win, it's just ridiculous to hold it up as indicative of where either team is right now. It wouldn't look *as bad* if the wheels hadn't come off for McCarty, and we're clearly not the same team we were then.

Removing all of that context to just label it with a number is part of the reason why the tournament is such a ridiculous, random mess every year.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Losing to Evansville early hasn’t won or lost any other game we’ve played all year. The most important thing for any College Basketball team, Including Kentucky, is to be playing your best basketball by March!! 100%!!

We would have to win 6 games in a row in the tournament either way and we’re not close to the same team that overlooked someone earlier in the season. It may actually have helped us to never take anyone for granted and to never overlook anyone again! I’ll guarantee you one thing, if we win the championship, no one will care about us losing five games this year or who they were to. Go Cats

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I think it's being overblown. Yes, in these stupid rankings like NET, it matters. But when the selection committee sits down to do the bracket, I don't think it will have any impact on where we are put. It was just too much of a fluke loss and Evansville lost their coach mid season. I'm pretty sure 50%+ of our losses we had Khalil as a starter. Wish they would take that into account he was prolly -20 on the court every time he played

Cal didn't have to start him, if a players not performing start someone else

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I am just saying the committee is smart enough to see that game as a major outlier, so I don't think losing to Evansville will actually impact us.

Reactions: clifm
Good post SteveCat. I agree with every word. The Evansville loss has looked worse and worse because they aren't the same team without their coach. It never should have happened, of course, but think about that game. It was November 12, first of all. Whitney started and played 23 minutes, and got destroyed by Sam Cunliffe again and again. We were missing Montgomery in that game, also. I agree it's overblown. Evansville could have been better overall, but the controversy with McCarty started soon after our game, and they have never been the same.

Cal didn't have to start him, if a players not performing start someone else

He came in as a highly ranked recruit. Cal gave him a chance to show that he could get it done. Anyone with a brain knows that early losses happen because of coaches looking for combinations that work and other factors that are irrelevant later in the season.

I've posted this before (and i think for you)
The NET is only used to determine quads,
The committee is supposed to use the team sheets, and then a little human element
Team sheets include (form 2018): Now, the NET is shown, but not in equation and RPI dropped
1. Team/record
2. Rankings in results-based metrics (RPI, KPI, SOR)
3. Average of results-based metrics (RPI, KPI, SOR)
4. Rankings in predictive metrics (BPI, KENPOM, SOR))
5. Average of predictive metrics (BPI, KENPOM, SOR)
6. Average of all metrics (RPI, KPI, BPI, KENPOM, SOR)
7. Average RPI of the teams beaten
8. Won-lost record (all games)
9. Ranking of winning percentage (all games)
10. Ranking of strength of schedule (all games)
11. Ranking of opponents strength of schedule (all games)
12. Team RPI (all games)
13. Average RPI of the teams lost to (all games)
14. Won-lost record (NC games)
15. Ranking of winning percentage (NC games)
16. Ranking of strength of schedule (NC games)
17. Ranking of opponents strength of schedule (NC games)
18. Team RPI (NC games)
19. Strength of schedule within conference
20. Quads
Now, the NET is shown, but not in equation and RPI dropped

Last edited:
If I were Cal I would be mentioning to everyone out there about our early season struggles with injuries and having a player that ended up quitting on the team leaving us short-handed. Plus about Evansville losing their coach. The media loves to mention when teams have injuries as excuses for their losses but not a single one talks about ours.

It will matter when it comes to seeding and you are choosing between UK and another team with similar records but the other team has a better win and/or no losses as bad as Evansville. We’ve seen it every year when a a good team is a lower s d due to a awful (quad 6 loss).

• I

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT