ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN says Duke #1 smh

I have no problem with it. To me, the #1 should be the one that if all these teams played head to head on a neutral court who would be favored.

I hate Duke. I mean I really hate Duke, but I do see that they would be favored against anyone else right now on a neutral court.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It’s not a conspiracy, it’s reality. Duke is the best team in CBB right now. Can they lose, sure. Can we beat them, maybe. But it doesn’t take much time watching them to see they have the best team.
I assume all this emotion is because we want TN to be ranked 1st when we play them, but be honest. You know what you would do if you had to bet your check on TN vs Duke on a neutral floor?

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
Are you even serious with this? Duke beat a team that no one else has beaten in 2019 so far but you want it based on the 2018 NCAA results?

Some folks really should create their own work out videos with this unique brand of stretching..

Nobody else of substance has beat UVA because they haven't played anyone of substance. Their best win is 19th ranked Wisconsin. They get their lofty ranking by playing the slowest basketball since the four corners and holding mediocre and weak teams to 40s. Bennett has never got his perennially elite teams to the Final Four, even when he has NBA talent. None of this goes to Duke's ranking. I'm simply addressing UVA.

Should not have lost to Syracuse. Would NOT rank Duke #1 even though I believe Duke is the best team, just haven’t earned it yet.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Nobody else of substance has beat UVA because they haven't played anyone of substance. Their best win is 19th ranked Wisconsin. They get their lofty ranking by playing the slowest basketball since the four corners and holding mediocre and weak teams to 40s. Bennett has never got his perennially elite teams to the Final Four, even when he has NBA talent. None of this goes to Duke's ranking. I'm simply addressing UVA.

Huh? Nope, not correct in the least.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/team-net-sheet?team=Virginia

ESPN just positioning Duke for the upcoming games against UNC. Hopefully UVA puts a little kink in that tonite.

Reactions: CBR07TN
Duke SHOULD be ranked #1. Like it or not, they are easily the best team. Most athletic by a mile. You can hate them all you want. It doesn't mean you're unfaithful to your Cats to admit they're the best team.

Sure, you can make a case that Tennessee should rightfully be #1 given the way poll voting usually works. But if there were to play each other, I'd put my money on Duke without thinking twice.

JMO. Feel free to call me an idiot or moron like most do when someone disagrees.
1. Most athletic (freshmen) does not make a team the best team...this isn't the NBA draft...
2. You make the correct argument against yourself...the way the poll usually works; you don't drop and unless you lose or win playing terribly... (unless Duke is involved)
3. There are more Pro-Duke and Pro-Zion posters on this board that call anyone (that disagrees with their glorious assessment of Duke) morons, idiots, homers, etc.
they will not win the NCAAT...book it

Nobody is embarrassing themselves, and I think it’s horseshit for them to jump Tennessee who’s been ranked 1 for weeks because they beat a overrated piece of shit Virginia team who will lose again in the opening weekend of the tournament.

Tennessee hasn't played a ranked opponent in over 2 months. They've played like 3 all year. Some could argue they should have never been #1 over Duke to begin with.

Duke beat the shit out of us and are clearly the best team in the country when healthy, their A game vs anyone else's.

To try to make some sort of overrated claim about them is nonsense.

Who the frick cares? It's February 11, and UK is in the top 5. Win and you get what you want. Don't win, and it doesn't matter what Duke does. Duke has more quality wins than Tennessee anyway. I think Virginia is a top 5 team, but I still do not trust them in the tournament. I think Kentucky can beat Virginia, but Duke has beaten them twice. Virginia does not do well against athletic wings and point guards, and they are great given the talent level. Duke has Lebron and Durant; that's enough to be the best team in the country. I still don't think they're better than the 99' Duke team (I think is K's best team), but they are better than everyone else. I think Kentucky is as good as anyone not named Duke. I give them a 40% chance to beat Duke now.

Tennessee hasn't played a ranked opponent in over 2 months. They've played like 3 all year. Some could argue they should have never been #1 over Duke to begin with.

Duke beat the shit out of us and are clearly the best team in the country when healthy, their A game vs anyone else's.

To try to make some sort of overrated claim about them is nonsense.

True, but Nov 6 has zero to do with these two teams now. The UK team that played on November 6 would be lucky to have a .500 overall record. They almost lost to Southern Illinois. Duke likely beats UK again because of matchup issues, and top-end talent, but the Nov 6 game can almost be thrown out anymore.

Are you even serious with this? Duke beat a team that no one else has beaten in 2019 so far but you want it based on the 2018 NCAA results?

Some folks really should create their own work out videos with this unique brand of stretching..
Who has Vir beaten? If you say VT or FSU, I'll slap you..They are not a top 7 team

Who has Vir beaten? If you say VT or FSU, I'll slap you..They are not a top 7 team

So UVA beating #14 (in NCAA rankings) VA Tech doesn't count but UK beating #15 UL does???

Just want to make sure I got that right.

No they ****ing shouldn’t period. Until Tennessee loses Duke is number 2. You forget that horrible home lose? You all acting like Virginia isn’t overrated baffles me.
I despise it, but bluebomb is right, I can't think of one college team in the country that I would wager anything on that I couldn't afford to lose against Duke. If they didn't have that blamed Tre Jones to make it all work it would fall apart, they are head and shoulders above all others. I am only thankful they didn't go 40-0. Tennessee has earned the top spot due to their record but I dont think they could handle Duke, hope if they meet I am proved wrong.

Duke and UVA are good. Outside that I think the ACC doesn't deserve the hype. I don't have a problem with Duke being #1. That was an impressive win the other night. That being said they are not a clear cut #1. There are at least 2 other teams who could be argued for. It'll all shake out.

Hey. Facts are not welcomed on fan sites. The Only reality is fan opinions

Duke is #1 in Kenpom, #1 in Sagarin, #1 in composite Massey ratings, and #2 in NCAA Net rankings

The morons on here acting like them be ranked #1 in the polls is some sort of crazy travesty are embarrassing themselves.

Meanwhile UK is ranked #7 in KenPom, #6 in Sagarin, #7 in Massey, and #5 in NCAA net rankings and people think the coaches/AP writers are out to get UK with a poll ranking of 5 or 6.

This whole fake media/rankings bias thing continues to show why other fanbases laugh at us.

Come on, be more informed and stop posting nonsense.

Reactions: JFCats22
The fact is, you just don't leapfrog teams simply because you want them to be #1, that's not how this works. Tennessee needs to either lose or have a very ugly win. But they've continue to pass tests, haven't lost since November, and also beat Gonzaga.

So UVA beating #14 (in NCAA rankings) VA Tech doesn't count but UK beating #15 UL does???

Just want to make sure I got that right.
If you think VT is as good as UL then I don't know what to say...But i don't like either one to make any noise.

We win a tough road game and we drop a spot. I mean I got it rankings wise but come on.

Duke beats a team that created an NCAA history moment in a bad way and gets rewarded. *sigh*
One day K will be gone and everyone will say Duke who?
UVA is better than any team UK has beaten this year.

Go ahead and compare UK and Virginia's resume and get back to me..

Here you go:

UVA has beaten (NCAA net rankings Quad 1):
#11, 14, 23, 25, 35, 37 and lost to #2 (twice)

Average Quad 1 win ranking of 24.2
Average loss ranking of 2

UK has beaten :
#9, 15, 20, 29, 29, 41 and lost to #2, 43, 65

Average Quad 1 win ranking of 23.8
Average loss ranking of 36.7

Here you go:

UVA has beaten (NCAA net rankings Quad 1):
#11, 14, 23, 25, 35, 37 and lost to #2 (twice)

Average Quad 1 win ranking of 24.2
Average loss ranking of 2

UK has beaten :
#9, 15, 20, 29, 29, 41 and lost to #2, 43, 65

Average Quad 1 win ranking of 23.8
Average loss ranking of 36.7
I thought i said not come at me with VT.. They are 1-3 vs top 25 and 3-3 vs top 50 .. They suck.. Winning @UL (UL won @VT) is much better than beating VT at home...If Virginia beats UNC tonight, then I'll believe

Duke is #1 in Kenpom, #1 in Sagarin, #1 in composite Massey ratings, and #2 in NCAA Net rankings

The morons on here acting like them be ranked #1 in the polls is some sort of crazy travesty are embarrassing themselves.

Meanwhile UK is ranked #7 in KenPom, #6 in Sagarin, #7 in Massey, and #5 in NCAA net rankings and people think the coaches/AP writers are out to get UK with a poll ranking of 5 or 6.

This whole fake media/rankings bias thing continues to show why other fanbases laugh at us.

Very good post. Refreshing to read a sensible opionon on here. I agree with everything you said.

Reactions: JFCats22
If you can say that UT doesn't deserve to be #1 because they've played a crap schedule so far, but are totally okay with the Zags being ranked high, then you can't think logically. I'd go so far to say you're pretty stupid. Sauce for the goose.

No they ****ing shouldn’t period. Until Tennessee loses Duke is number 2. You forget that horrible home lose? You all acting like Virginia isn’t overrated baffles me.
I agree UVA overrated. They just don't match the top teams athletically imo. Not beating really good teams when it matters.

I’m ok with Duke at 1 but Michigan State and Kansas at 10 and 11? Maybe there are no other teams worthy to put ahead of them but they are both about as average as it gets.

Nah...there are like 350 teams in D1. Average is probably what you consider complete and utter garbage more or less.

Even we pair it down to the top 100-120. Average is going to be the NIT/NCAA bubble.

We have to go all the way down to an at large team to get close to average having any context which means maybe top 35ish at which point they are only rated as a little above average which I guess is fine by me since I'm not prepared to wage war that Florida St, Louisville, or Maryland are clearly better.

I'm not saying there are no good cases to be made, just that I am not motivated nor compelled by the data to make them. This year once you get to maybe the 3 line and definitely the 4 it is going to be some parity to the 6 or 7 area.

UVA is better than any team UK has beaten this year.

They may have the metrics, but UVA is a System team. Perfect for beating the majority of teams but they are going to struggle against more physical teams who can defend them well. Defend UVA well enough and it's a recipe for defeat.

We've seen this story for several years now. UVA wins a lot of games, gets popped in the tournament, because by and large they just aren't a good offense.

I thought i said not come at me with VT.. They are 1-3 vs top 25 and 3-3 vs top 50 .. They suck.. Winning @UL (UL won @VT) is much better than beating VT at home...If Virginia beats UNC tonight, then I'll believe

UVA still suck???

I have no problem with them being #1

But there is a a espn duke bias

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT