ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN layoffs

This has nothing to do with them doing a good job or not. It's just diminishing revenue...so expense cuts needed to offset.

Hate to see anyone lose their job for something other than performance.

It will have a little bit to do with performance. They sure aren't planning to lay off their best talent.

Reactions: BlueBomb
Doesn't matter. Fans would accuse the next in line to be Uk biased.
This is a thing. There are alot of annoucers against UK but are biased for duke unc and even ku. Dook vitale and the like. It brings into remberance how dookie V chastised us for using 3 goggles and playing tough, but the next week thomas robinson makes a dunk on a guy and stares him down all the way down the court mean mugging him, but that is playing with passion, even though he made terrance jones out to be a thug saying "there is no place for that in college basketball" The very next week for doing the same.

I have a very hard time hoping anyone loses their job. I've been there before, not fun.

I seriously if anyone cut by ESPN will have THAT much trouble landing another job. I would guess they have been working at a salary much much higher than the national average and will get a generous severance package. Now, when someone making $40K loses their job, I do have a lot of empathy. But, I really don't when they are making tons of money but I don't know what these people make, to be honest. Just talking out loud....

Reactions: WildcatDJ
So we're celebrating real people losing real jobs because they're part of a network that we feel has an over-arching bias against UK?

Is it the same network that just did a behind the scenes look at our program two years ago and an entire two-hour documentary on our coach, or a different one?

Some of you guys are dangerous.

So we're celebrating real people losing real jobs because they're part of a network that we feel has an over-arching bias against UK?

Is it the same network that just did a behind the scenes look at our program two years ago and an entire two-hour documentary on our coach, or a different one?

I agree. There is no bias just people who hate people because of a different opinion. Pretty poor form rooting for anyone to lose their jobs and more just because you don't like their opinions. But what do you expect from a lot of posters this board?

These people aren't being fired, they are being laid off. It's a changing industry and ESPN has accelerated their decline with their left wing, political nonsense.

I see this posted occasionally on this site.

I primarily watch ESPN for only ball games, "Around the Horn", and "Pardon the Interruption."

When do they espouse this "left wing, political nonsense" ?

Boo freaking hoo Dana. Move to Tobacco Road. I'm sure you will be rewarded for your years of service.

Boo-hoo, sad story—black American dad story · Know that I'm your sister's kid. But it still don't explain the love that you have for me.

b90ca12c2fb97fde6ac68d0a370f7b46.1000x1000x1.jpg

I seriously wonder if dopey ESPN actually understands the reasons why they are hemorrhaging viewers thus leading to massive layoffs.
This is a function of economic reality, nothing more. Aging high priced talent (Chris Berman and Mike Ditka) will go away. Younger talent (Adnan Virk) will stay at lower cost. Many of those being "laid off" will NEVER work at their current salaries for the rest of their professional lives.Throughout "journalism" of all kinds,especially print , countless people have been laid off or transitioned to part time work at half their former salaries. Many people are working two jobs as newspaper writers and TV commentators. It's life in the semi-literate digital age where the emoji replaces the poem.

I don't care if you don't like her for all the criticism about Cal and UK. It's pretty poor form rooting for someone to lose their job. Par for the course for most of you.

Speaking of pretty poor form and par for the course...

Still waiting on a decent post from you that doesn't attempt to give the BBN and this board some backhanded bs comment.

Really? I thought she was terrible. To each their own.

Read her piece on Gonzaga during the Final Four about the bond between Dan Monson and Mark Few and about the origin of creating Gonzaga. It's a very good piece and well written.

Obviously her being against Kentucky skews judgment sometimes.

This isn't Joe down at the steel mill. A lot of these people are self righteous and arrogant pieces of shit journalists. It's one of the worst fields in terms of character.

Reactions: Double Oaked Juice
Long before this ESPN layoff era, I have wondered about the compensation for these ESPN on-air personalities.

I've never been able to find anything.

Do any of you have a link to such information?

A friend of mine told me this morning that Jon Buccigross (sp?) was making $1.5 M per.

Do these people really make that much? He's not a star.

Travis is gonna be an insufferable gloat now that all his predictions of ESPN's collapse over the years are actually coming true.

He's on record as having seen this coming before everyone else, and he's gonna make damn sure we know it.

Was it really such a far-fetched guess though that ESPN had become too big, too political & that it would suffer as more people cut the chord?

ESPN deserves this because they don't practice fair journalism anymore but extremely liberal and PC tabloid muckraking (and I am quite liberal!) speculation and unfounded punditry. They ignore actual news like the UNC scandal but constantly preach about LeBron's views on rap music, his favorite breakfast cereal, what Tom Brady is doing, why everything is racist, and countless other stories that aren't sports related. People have had enough and are cutting the cord for financial and political reasons. The people that work there behind the scenes create and support this nonsense and are ultimately just as responsible as the on-air personalities.

Far more interesting than this is what will happen down the line with the money ESPN pours into college sports, the NFL, and the NBA for broadcast rights. ESPN hit its peak, and has nowhere else to go but down. It's inevitable, because you have 10's of millions of people who aren't really interested in sports who are no longer willing to subsidize ESPN via paying a bloated basic cable bill every month. We could be seeing, for really the first time ever, where the ceiling is on the absurd economics of professional and big-time college sports. We could actual see a reduction in salaries within the next 10 years.

So much of the money in sports comes from TV now that it's hard to see how it's sustainable. Turner and ESPN are paying the NBA 2.6 billion dollars this year, which is over 85 million per team. That type of money, on a contract signed relatively recently, was a desperation maneuver by those networks, because live sports is about the only thing left that guarantees viewers.

But what happens when that desperation maneuver proves an unsustainable failure? NBA arenas generally seat 16-20,000. Even if they manage to get an average of $100 per seat per game (which they generally don't), that's still only 80 million dollars from ticket sales for the regular season, max. Yet the NBA salary cap this year was 94 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT