ADVERTISEMENT

Escape From Lexington

Myth Buster51

Sophomore
Apr 19, 2011
Hinterland
Starring friggin' Snake Reeves

kurt russell call me snake GIF

Collective embarrassing stupidity is like alcoholism or a gambling addiction. You have to hit bottom before you can recover. The Kentucky basketball fan base must be very close.
Yeah, there's a couple dozen that post here that hit bottom a long time ago. The rest of the fanbase is riding high though. But every ship has to have an anchor.

Reactions: downthehatch
I just wonder what reality people like Chitown Terry live in. Trying to defend the fact that a kid that averaged 6ppg never even considered returning to Kentucky, even in the era of NIL.

I'll be so glad when Cal is gone and "fans" like him can follow him

I don't know if any of those players were predicted to be drafted. I know Whitney wasn't.

Ya not sure either, but wouldn’t it be nice to get some of these fringe players back? How nice would it have been to get Dakari back? Unfortunately they all “escape” first chance they get. Players want out of KY first chance they get.

You have no idea what type of future he will have in the NBA. He is young. He will get stronger. He will improve.

Thats why he had to leave. Can't improve HERE, because he would be forgotten on the bench for at least half of a season maybe more in favor of the potential OAD players. We don't develop anyone. How come people can't see that?

He might as well develop himself full-time someplace that he can get paid to do it.

Thats why he had to leave. Can't improve HERE, because he would be forgotten on the bench for at least half of a season maybe more in favor of the potential OAD players. We don't develop anyone. How come people can't see that?

He might as well develop himself full-time someplace that he can get paid to do it.
He was a one-and-done player. He got plenty of playing time during the season. He did not deserve a lot of playing time at the beginning of the year. He has said that he is pleased by the way he developed under Cal's coaching.

Ya not sure either, but wouldn’t it be nice to get some of these fringe players back? How nice would it have been to get Dakari back? Unfortunately they all “escape” first chance they get. Players want out of KY first chance they get.
Yep. All of these guys left at the first sight of NBA daylight:

Orton - last pick, 1st round
Liggins - 2nd round **
Teague - last pick, 1st round
Lamb - 2nd round **
Goodwin - last pick, 1st round
Johnson - 2nd round
Andrew Harrison - 2nd round **
Aaron Harrison - undrafted
Ulis - 2nd round **
Skal - end of the first round
Humphries - undrafted
Briscoe - undrafted
Gabriel - undrafted
Vanderbilt - 2nd round
Diallo - 2nd round
Montgomery - undrafted
Whitney - undrafted
Hagans - undrafted
Boston - 2nd round
Ty Ty - end of the 1st round
Toppin - will go 2nd round at best
Oscar - will go 2nd round at best **
Livingston - will go 2nd round at best

** I would argue that these five players were the only ones on the list who maximized their potential as a college player while they were at Kentucky.

Doesn't count all the transfers and decommits, obviously:

Dodson
Wiltjer
Harrow
Poole
Lee
Matthews
SKJ
Wynyard
Baker
Juzang
Brooks
Fletcher
Green
Skyy Clark
Hickman
Jeffries
Wheeler
Collins
Ware
Fredrick
Askew
Allen
Hopkins

Reeves?

That's 46 guys, 43 if you subtract the decommits like Skyy Clark. Of those, five maximized their college skill set (Andrew Harrison, Lamb, Oscar, Ulis, and Liggins). That shrinks the list to 38 guys. Of those 38, you expect a few to leave no matter what if they hear the words "late-first-round-pick": so omit maybe three from that category (reasonably conservative estimate).

Even still, you're left with 34 or 35 fringe guys who left the program, who could have went much higher if they returned. I think this is certainly true for Humphries, Goodwin, Briscoe (he starts at the point guard spot with Shai off the ball), Teague, Skal, Diallo, and even a guy who I don't have on the list- Keldon Johnson, who also went in the last two picks of the first round. He returns to Kentucky and he's a top 15 pick.

That's the issue. We lose almost ALL of our fringe guys. The only breaks we've gotten were when Terrence Jones, WCS, and Oscar came back for an extra year.

Last edited:
Yep. All of these guys left at the first sight of NBA daylight:

Orton - last pick, 1st round
Liggins - 2nd round **
Teague - last pick, 1st round
Lamb - 2nd round **
Goodwin - last pick, 1st round
Johnson - 2nd round
Andrew Harrison - 2nd round **
Aaron Harrison - undrafted
Skal - end of the first round
Humphries - undrafted
Briscoe - undrafted
Gabriel - undrafted
Vanderbilt - 2nd round
Diallo - 2nd round
Montgomery - undrafted
Whitney - undrafted
Hagans - undrafted
Boston - 2nd round
Ty Ty - end of the 1st round
Toppin - will go 2nd round at best
Oscar - will go 2nd round at best **
Livingston - will go 2nd round at best

** I would argue that these four players were the only ones on the list who maximized their potential as a college player while they were at Kentucky.

Doesn't count all the transfers and decommits, obviously:

Dodson
Wiltjer
Harrow
Poole
Lee
Matthews
SKJ
Wynyard
Baker
Juzang
Brooks
Fletcher
Green
Skyy Clark
Hickman
Jeffries
Wheeler
Collins
Ware
Fredrick
Askew
Allen
Hopkins

Reeves?

UK players despise playing at UK, because they’re not recruited to play at UK. They’re recruited to play for the NBA, Cal, to maximize their potential for the ne t step, for anything other than Kentucky basketball or it’s tradition.

UK players despise playing at UK, because they’re not recruited to play at UK. They’re recruited to play for the NBA, Cal, to maximize their potential for the ne t step, for anything other than Kentucky basketball or it’s tradition.
And this is precisely why Duke has owned us in almost every head-to-head since the Okafor class: they sell "set for life", academics, and program, on top of the "the brotherhood" NBA stuff.

It works, too. People want to say it was Nike, and that's true to an extent, but Duke started selling multilayered aspects to coming to Duke. The NBA stuff was a given, so Duke started playing up aspects that appealed to the parents of the recruits: academics, "set for life" with all the Duke connections, and a school that will support them for the rest of their lives.

Cal resented that, too, because he knew it was a good pitch. Duke had finally outflanked Calipari at his own game, and Cal - being the stubborn mule of a man that he is - refused to follow Duke's lead for once. He had been the innovator for years, and Duke had followed. Now, instead of taking his opponent's clever tactic and using it against them, Calipari doubled down on the "we don't believe it 'set for life' here, that's up to you; we just get you started and teach you how to fish."

It's cost us a ton of recruitments, too. Duke, even under Scheyer, has whipped our butts on the recruiting trail because of the "set for life" stuff.

And this is precisely why Duke has owned us in almost every head-to-head since the Okafor class: they sell "set for life", academics, and program, on top of the "the brotherhood" NBA stuff.

It works, too. People want to say it was Nike, and that's true to an extent, but Duke started selling multilayered aspects to coming to Duke. The NBA stuff was a given, so Duke started playing up aspects that appealed to the parents of the recruits: academics, "set for life" with all the Duke connections, and a school that will support them for the rest of their lives.

Cal resented that, too, because he knew it was a good pitch. Duke had finally outflanked Calipari at his own game, and Cal - being the stubborn mule of a man that he is - refused to follow Duke's lead for once. He had been the innovator for years, and Duke had followed. Now, instead of taking his opponent's clever tactic and using it against them, Calipari doubled down on the "we don't believe it 'set for life' here, that's up to you; we just get you started and teach you how to fish."

It's cost us a ton of recruitments, too. Duke, even under Scheyer, has whipped our butts on the recruiting trail because of the "set for life" stuff.

I guess. I don’t really think recruiting is a big issue, we always have talent in retrospect, it’s retention. But then look at Wallace’s comments about him and Livingstons “goals” last summer. You think an 18 year old just invented that or was that part of the recruiting pitch? It’s absurd.

Do you EVER add anything productive to the conversation, or do you live to trash your fellow UK fans?
You're the absolute worst.
I haven't trashed even one UK fan ever. But thank thanks for the personal attack from a pious super fan.

But what makes me the worst? Supporting UK? Going to every FF that UK has played in since '78? In just the last year and a half going to Tampa, the Bahamas, London, NY and Nashville?

As compared to you that goes nowhere, doesn't support UK and just sits on here trashing UK with a couple dozen of your immature think alikes that believe you are part of a majority? If that's what you think is productive then you are correct, I want no part of your world. And to be despised by the likes of you is a compliment. I aspire to be the exact opposite of your misery.

Reactions: RuppnRoll

Plus, there is no aggravation of having to go to school ...

• Love
Reactions: Girthang
He was a one-and-done player. He got plenty of playing time during the season. He did not deserve a lot of playing time at the beginning of the year. He has said that he is pleased by the way he developed under Cal's coaching.

Playing the political game is all.

Thank you for the laugh, I needed someone to act stupid to get a laugh.
This is what they do when they know you are right. Cal's players love and support him overwhelmingly. The silent majority of fans also support him and the team. I don't care what the Cal haters say. You can go kick rocks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT