ADVERTISEMENT

Ernest Udeh

track42

Senior
Feb 18, 2017
Doesn't sound like the Kansas transfer big is a Duke lock after all.Still visiting K State and rumors Bama might get involved.

Reactions: bookerfan66
What I am hearing is it's very similar to the Caleb Love situation with Michigan. Some of his classes at Kansas will not carry over to Duke, so he would have to take those classes over again. I don't know why things like that wouldn't be checked into before you go through all the trouble of setting up visits, making offers, ETC.

Supposedly he was all in for the transfer to Duke until this came up.

He's good. Former 5 star. A little raw, stuck behind a good small ball center. Seems likely to break out this year or next. Probably more of a role player this year.

What I am hearing is it's very similar to the Caleb Love situation with Michigan. Some of his classes at Kansas will not carry over to Duke, so he would have to take those classes over again. I don't know why things like that wouldn't be checked into before you go through all the trouble of setting up visits, making offers, ETC.

There seems to be a lot of run to this theory. Word is, he was ready to commit on his visit to Duke, but was told to wait before he announced so that they could see if his academic credits worked out, all to avoid a Caleb Love like embarrassment.

I wonder, as these schools will have to accept more and more transfers how big a problem this will be in the future.

Because now these days it all about the money !

There seems to be a lot of run to this theory. Word is, he was ready to commit on his visit to Duke, but was told to wait before he announced so that they could see if his academic credits worked out, all to avoid a Caleb Love like embarrassment.

I wonder, as these schools will have to accept more and more transfers how big a problem this will be in the future.
Yeah, that's what I heard also that he committed while on his visit, but then the transferring of credits issue came up. I tried to do some research on this issue and what I got out of it is that some schools do not feel like the class a player took at another school is as tough or stringent as the same class at their school, so they won't recognize it, and the player has to take the course again at the new school. I believe this was the exact same issue Love had.

Because now these days it all about the money !
Yeah but a lot of money is wasted on the visits if you don't even know if the kid will be eligible in the first place. Actually, i misspoke when I said not eligible. If I understand it correctly, Udeh "can" go to Duke, but he would have to retake some classes that he has already taken at Kansas. I think that's right anyway.

Udeh has the athleticism, hands and agility to be really really good. He also has zero back to the basket post moves and fouls a lot. Long term could be great but I’m not sure I see it in The next year or two unfortunately.

Oh yeah- same thing happened with Ricky Price, Trevon Duvall, etc. 😂

STFU

I don't know why things like that wouldn't be checked into before you go through all the trouble of setting up visits, making offers, ETC.
Because the school they are transferring from has no interest/desire to help (quickly) with that. The kids and "handlers" are clueless. And the school transfering from probably needs to receive info from the other school quickly (see my point #1) in order to assess.

Udeh is going to be a beast in college. He showed flashes of his athleticism last year. Still very raw, but most of what he is lacking will prevent him from succeeding in the NBA, not at the college level. Not sure he will every be a 18/10 guy, but he he could easily be a 12/12 guy with plenty of blocks.

He's good? Udeh didn't do squat at Kansas. 2.6 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Self rarely plays underclass bigs in the regular rotation. the last freshman big that was a regular was Cliff Alexander in 2014.

He played more than this former 2nd team AP All American did for Self as a Freshman.

TotalsShootingPer Game
SeasonAgeCollegeGMPFGFGA3P3PAFTFTAORBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSFG%3P%FT%MPPTSTRBAST
2016-1717KANSAS11142223500112913482218153155.629.37912.95.04.40.2

Or this guy that would spend the next 5 years in the NBA..
TotalsShootingPer Game
2015-1619KANSAS27202335800152717681723173881.569.5567.53.02.50.0

Self rarely plays underclass bigs in the regular rotation. the last freshman big that was a regular was Cliff Alexander in 2014.

He played more than this former 2nd team AP All American did for Self as a Freshman.

TotalsShootingPer Game
2016-1717KANSAS11142223500112913482218153155.629.37912.95.04.40.2

Or this guy that would spend the next 5 years in the NBA..
TotalsShootingPer Game
2015-1619KANSAS27202335800152717681723173881.569.5567.53.02.50.0
Those charts you posted for Kansas players are really impressive.

Here's mine:

2.6 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Udeh is 6-11, 250lbs. He 'played behind' dudes 5 inches shorter than him. That doesn't mean Udeh wasn't an instant impact guy. It means Udeh wasn't any good. It's okay to call it what it is.
I am not a Udeh fan.

But what you are saying is not correct. Maybe KU simply wanted to play smaller, have quicker defenders, a 5/C who could bring his defender away from the basket.

Those charts you posted for Kansas players are really impressive.

Here's mine:

2.6 ppg and 1.8 rpg.
How about these stats:
2.7 ppg & 2.2 rpg
3.5 ppg & 2.8 rpg
Those were the stats of a past SEC C/5 his first 2 seasons of college ball.

His last 2 seasons:
17.4 ppg & 8.7 rpg
18.3 ppg & 10.1 rpg

So stats alone do NOT tell the whole story. And this is coming from a Statistician.

Reactions: jmmcgr02
I am not a Udeh fan.

But what you are saying is not correct. Maybe KU simply wanted to play smaller, have quicker defenders, a 5/C who could bring his defender away from the basket.
That's a plausible theory. Another plausible theory is that for whatever reason Udeh wasn't any good at Kansas, because he wasn't any good KU went out and nabbed HD [a taller, slower defender] out of the portal, and because Udeh wasn't any good at KU he relented that he couldn't beat out HD for playing time and entered the portal. That's a plausible theory as well.

Having said all that, I'm among those who hopes Udeh transfers to K-State to join forces with Jerome Tang and the Purple People Beaters. To me that would likely be a nice fit all around, and maybe Udeh could be become a thorn in the side of the Jayhawks for a few seasons. As far as potentially landing in Lexington, I don't foresee Udeh making any significant improvements under the tutelage of the toxic jerk that currently is John Calipari.

Reasonable minds can differ.

Last edited:
He would be a welcome addition starter or backup... maybe a guy we keep around for a couple years. He'll definitely be motivated.

He can go to UNCheat---No Problemo

Is a great lob finisher but has zero post moves. Good feet, is developing into a good defensive player. That being said, would of loved for him to back up Hunter next season. Wherever he ends up is getting a good kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT