ADVERTISEMENT

engagement rings

Originally posted by ThroughBlue:

My girl and I were going to go to the courthouse and get married then she got preggo. So I have now saved all kinds of money and get major tax refunds for her being a single mom and going to school while living with me. Taking advantage of the liberal president
wink.r191677.gif

When I do finally decide to pop the question I will probably take out a small loan and get her a decent sized ring
Congratulations on bilking the rest of of due to your bastard.

It seems like you're setting up your bastard for a string of successes in life with the examples you're setting.

* When I thought I was ready to get engaged I took her to a jewelry store and had her finger sized and got a general impression for what she wanted as far as the type of band, color, certain cut or whatever.

* Took the time to learn what accounts for the quality of a diamond. I knew what I was willing to spend and I had no problem getting the diamond and ring separately.

* Aimed for a pretty pristine diamond at least 1 carat in size. I shopped around Louisville at *many* jewelry stores to get a diamond meeting my specs. It did not offend me if someone did not have what I wanted at what I wanted to pay. I ended up having one of the dealers call me back on a diamond I wanted and he was willing to bridge a pretty nice price gap and come down to my price. Just do not take the first few negs you get personally while shopping and offering. It is just business.

* Got a nice, traditional band I liked that matched up with what she wanted and had the diamond set. This took a couple of weeks.

* Sure as hell did not spend 3 months salary or anything silly like that and she got a ring & diamond she loved without breaking the bank. She has pretty simple tastes and really is not super invested in such things, but she gets compliments all the time and I know that goes a long way with her.

* Summary: Do not be afraid to shop around and take your time so long as you are realistic about your budget and wants.

This post was edited on 1/22 9:30 AM by 12 Oz. Epilogue

I apparently struck gold with my fiancee - I was told "if you spend more than $100 on a ring, I will beat you about the head with a bat. Those things are a waste of money we could be using on the house, good beer, guns, and any number of other useful things instead of showing off to a bunch of hens"

I'm chalking that one up as a major victory.

Originally posted by dgtatu01:
Unless you work at Kroger 1k is not enough. You need to be above 1 carat on the diamond for any salary between $30000-$50000. Real nice ring and maybe a little bigger stone for salaries above that up to $70000. Between $70000 and $100000 you gotta go 2 carat and real nice ring. Keep sliding up the scale if you make more than that.
sick.r191677.gif

This is what I did OP. I knew my wife liked Tiffany's (very rare I know). So I went to tiffanys and saw their setting, bands, etc. (They basically have one signature "type" of engagement rings vs. Jared and Kay's which have like 250 styles). I then went to Blue Nile and basically got an equivalent ring, set my 4 C's to as high as I could afford, and got the ring I wanted. I spent at third as much as I would have at Tiffany's and its actually a better quality diamond then they showed me, and its something I feel really happy with. Cost about 30% as much as it would have cost at Tiffany's for higher quality, and Blue Nile is legit. Seriously it really is, I know it sounds weird to get a ring from the internet but its really really high quality and a good website, I think you should check it out.

I also think you should get a high quality ring that you are proud of. I know it sucks that it is, but its a bit of a status symbol especially for the girl and when she shows her friends, so get something good, whatever your definition of that is, because she's going to be wearing it for decades.

Anyone who buys an engagement ring from the commercialized B&Ms (Zales, Jareds, etc.) either has cash to blow or is a fng moron.

So many other ways to get a comparable diamond for much much less.

Originally posted by Johns721:
I apparently struck gold with my fiancee - I was told "if you spend more than $100 on a ring, I will beat you about the head with a bat. Those things are a waste of money we could be using on the house, good beer, guns, and any number of other useful things instead of showing off to a bunch of hens"

I'm chalking that one up as a major victory.
Soooo, you are marrying a guy who apparently is abusive. My goodness, you aren't even married to him yet and he's threatening to beat you with a bat.....
laugh.r191677.gif

This thread has spurned all kinds of thoughts for me

1. Some people tattoo their wedding fingers instead of rings.

2. A ring that is solid that can take serious abuse and not be damaged is important, little diamond clusters and such can be fragile

3. If you put 10 or 20 grand on the finger on your your person and wear it everyday it could be dangerous, there are people who rob people, there are probably lots of places you wouldn't want to be seen wearing it.

4. Ever seen that Indiana jones movie where you choose the cup to drink water from the holy grail out of? The expensive golden one with rubies on them made your eyes pop out and your bones disentigrate into dust, the simple plain one led to everlasting life.

5. Oh yeah and sometimes when you see a girl with a big huge diamond ring it makes you think... Yeah she married for the money and when you see
A beautiful girl with a modest ring it makes you think she married for love

6. If you pick it out and she loves it then this shows you know how to lead and give her what she wants, women want you to show them what's best for them, when they try to do things on their own and it doesn't work out as well it shows they need you.

Good Luck hope you figure it out

This post was edited on 1/22 1:11 PM by DUNNSTILLFREENALIVE

Originally posted by Joey Rupption:

My girl and I were going to go to the courthouse and get married then she got preggo. So I have now saved all kinds of money and get major tax refunds for her being a single mom and going to school while living with me. Taking advantage of the liberal president
wink.r191677.gif

When I do finally decide to pop the question I will probably take out a small loan and get her a decent sized ring
Congratulations on bilking the rest of of due to your bastard.

It seems like you're setting up your bastard for a string of successes in life with the examples you're setting.
Keep voting me in a liberal president. Thanks! Your tax dollars taste good on my dinner table every night =)

DUNN with as awesome of a post as I would've expected. Started out with a bang and everything.

Originally posted by d2atTech:
so i'm going to ask my girl to marry me, but i still don't have sense

That sir says it all !!! Cut through the chase dude..........just slit your wrists and get it over with!

Many on here would agree.

Originally posted by jamo0001:
DUNN with as awesome of a post as I would've expected. Started out with a bang and everything.
Strange yet lucid, he brought a rare combo

As for rings, pretty much every man realizes it makes no damn sense and it's financially painful....pretty much the ideal gateway to spending your life with a female.

I agree. Purchasing an expensive as hell ring is the perfect symbol for life with a woman.

...and them bitching for playing too many females on trivia crack

Keep voting me in a liberal president. Thanks! Your tax dollars taste good on my dinner table every night =)
No problem, bud!

I look at is an investment. From the tone of your "plan" I expect your kid to die of a heroin overdose in Fall of 2037.

It might hurt my kid when he's looking for competitive pricing for his gutter cleaning, but at least he'll have one less P.O.S. buying lottery tickets to wait behind at the store!

Thinking this was an awesome troll post just to get people fired up at each other. Has the OP posted since the first couple of posts? I still think this is the guy who was asking for wine advice a few months ago. Either he is moving WAY too fast, or he's trolling (in a great way).

No problem, bud!

I look at is an investment. From the tone of your "plan" I expect your kid to die of a heroin overdose in Fall of 2037.

It might hurt my kid when he's looking for competitive pricing for his gutter cleaning, but at least he'll have one less P.O.S. buying lottery tickets to wait behind at the store!
Are you really this angry? Or is it just a front on an internet message board? If so I see youre kid being beat to death by his/her angry father. xanex should take care of it. Go apply for Kynect insurance and you may be able to get a script FOR FREE! Liberal president for the win!

I'm not angry, just having lunch.

If you really are having a kid under those circumstances, I do expect him to die of a heroin overdose though.

Under what circumstances? A mother that is going to school to become a RN or her dad that works 50 hours a week?

Or are you mad that she was born out of wedlock? I don't think being a Christian is a rule before having kids or did they change that?

I bought my wife a $2500.00 ring when I was young and set it up on payments (with a local jeweler/friend of mine with no interest) and made the last payment the day before the wedding. I had no idea she would even say "yes" and if she said "No" the jeweler would take the ring back with no cost to me. The ring is probably something that would have run $3500ish at a box store and it's nothing special but it was what I could afford. It was important, to me, to have it paid off before we got married. At the time, I was proud of the ring and paying it off.

My wife is pretty succesful. With that said, I have asked to replace it with a bigger/better diamond and she just prefers the original. I believe I chose wisely to begin with(not the diamond but the woman).

Again, not everybody is lucky enough to marry a woman that isn't a gold digger.

This post was edited on 1/22 3:35 PM by bradyjames

Originally posted by Dennis Reynolds:
Thinking this was an awesome troll post just to get people fired up at each other. Has the OP posted since the first couple of posts? I still think this is the guy who was asking for wine advice a few months ago. Either he is moving WAY too fast, or he's trolling (in a great way).
dennis, you are correct, same guy. wine advice girl, ended up being the perfect girl for me. i knew right away that she was the right girl for me (like in the first two hours). we met each other's parents over winter break (she's from south bend, indiana). she already said she wants to marry me (which is a bit unconventional i suppose). i guess i knew she was the right girl when she still decided to date me, despite my winery nonsense (turns out she is quite the wine expert).

per your advice i started looking for the c's. read the article on diamonds on wikipedia for a start and looked at prices on blue nile and zales. that stuff is damn stupid expensive. some of those diamonds go for four million dollars! you could pretty much eat steak at the most expensive restaurant for every meal for the rest of your life for that kind of money. the girl has the following preferences: white gold/platinum > gold; diamond > (white) sapphire; brilliant cut (the round one) >>> other cuts. she doesn't know anything about quality, but i guess that's no reason for me to get a bad one.

will be looking to spend about 2k total for the ring + diamond + equipment time. i'm just a postdoc at the moment, so rather not over reach the payment for the ring. i want to plasma etch a diffraction grating into the facet so that it internally reflects her name. the better the facet, the better quality of the image. however, this process also devalues the diamond to zero, which means i might as well get a smaller high quality stone and etch her name into it. figure 0.5carat might be sweet spot.

Under what circumstances?
Your child will be parented by:

A) A Societal Loser: You are prideful about living off of the dole at the expense of a stable family unit, i.e., you are not a "Man" as defined by 95% of Paddock posters.

B) Poor Planners: You were going to get married, but got pregnant by "surprise."

C) A Delayed Career Track: Your live-in is now going to attempt completion her RN training while being a new mom. At best this will be delayed whereupon she will incur more debt, opportunity costs, and lose academic momentum.

D) Bad Financial Planners: You were going to take out a "loan" to finance an engagement ring. This puts your financial decisions in question, and by association, your live-in's. It is unlikely that she would be with a guy financing a ring if she were in good financial standing.

E) People More Likely to Split: Unwed couples have a 39% change of splitting up compared to 13% for married couples. The tacit ties of shacking up with a baby are no where near as strong as an actual marriage - no matter what the religion.

Marry the mother of your child if you love her, dumbass.

Originally posted by d2atTech:

i want to plasma etch a diffraction grating into the facet so that it internally reflects her name. the better the facet, the better quality of the image. however, this process also devalues the diamond to zero, which means i might as well get a smaller high quality stone and etch her name into it. figure 0.5carat might be sweet spot.
No dog in the hunt here, but you might wanna consider etching YOUR name into the facet if you're gonna go to the trouble of completely devaluing the stone.

Presumably she already knows her own name (so what's the point of her needing to be reminded of it by looking at her ring?). However, by etching your name it constantly reminds her who bought it AND automatically make that stone worthless to her when you divorce in 6.5 years.

I read BradyJames' post and it made me wonder. How many of you really had no clue if your girlfriend (at the time) would say 'yes' or 'no' to your proposal?

At what point do you not know your girl well enough to realize if she won't marry you, but ask her anyway. Ballsy fo sho!

This post was edited on 1/22 4:47 PM by UKAlum07

arent engagement rings a fairly recent tradition in our society, like less than 100 years? think one time someone here posted an awesome historical article about this, like it was a jewelry or precious stone industry marketing creation?

I recommend going to The Castle Jewelry. They really are the best place for jewelry at the lowest prices and the people are great to work with.

I get a good
laugh.r191677.gif
out of the 2-3 months salary shtick. I mean, has anyone actually sat down to calculate this??

If you make $60k, you're doing a well, but you are by no means a baller. Welp, you're in the market for a $10,000-15,000 rock, so you'd better get your s*** together now.
eek.r191677.gif
That's a gd headlamp on your gals digit....for a dude that works entry level at Toyota.

False, Zales. Touching false.

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
arent engagement rings a fairly recent tradition in our society, like less than 100 years? think one time someone here posted an awesome historical article about this, like it was a jewelry or precious stone industry marketing creation?
Pretty much. All of the mystique about engagement rings was invented by De Beers.

OP...where do you live? I'm in Louisville and if you do not know about Melvin, you are missing out. Have bought all of my jewelry through him and very happy. For insurance purposes, I had to have all my jewelry appraised so took it to Gumer's here in Louisville. Appraised for twice as much as I bought it for...every piece. Engagement ring, wedding ring, diamond earrings and other diamond pinkie ring. I have referred at least 20 people to him. Might even be worth your time if not from Louisville. Have friends in Paintsville that have purchased all through him.

If interested, let me know.

laugh.r191677.gif

Has anyone ever in the history of jewelry ever bought a piece of jewelry and NOT had it appraise for more than they bought it for??

You probably got a good deal on a car, too!

I'm glad I don't have a money grubbing wife to deal with. We were just starting out and weren't going to get into debt because of a piece of jewelry. My mom gave me her old wedding ring and we just put the diamond into a new band. Didn't cost me much at all and my wife was happy with it and it was only 1/4 carat. I got her a wrap for the wedding band and it has been just fine for the first 14 years of our marriage. We will probably get an upgrade down the road. I just think it is stupid to get into debt before you even get your life started together. If you have the money in savings to burn and that is what you want to do then so be it. I'd rather put $5,000 into things you need starting off like furniture, appliances, etc.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Under what circumstances?
Your child will be parented by:

A) A Societal Loser: You are prideful about living off of the dole at the expense of a stable family unit, i.e., you are not a "Man" as defined by 95% of Paddock posters.

Im not a man but I work to pay the house off that I have a loan out for while the mother of my child is going to school for a career that she can get a job anywhere or anytime.

B) Poor Planners: You were going to get married, but got pregnant by "surprise."

Poor planners? Did we plan to get pregnant and have a kid? No, but I love her and wouldn't trade anything in the world for her. Im sorry that marriage isn't as big of a deal to me or my "live in" or whatever you called her. I think two people can love each other and be happy without getting married. Marriage is more of a religous thing which we are not.

C) A Delayed Career Track: Your live-in is now going to attempt completion her RN training while being a new mom. At best this will be delayed whereupon she will incur more debt, opportunity costs, and lose academic momentum.

Your president is paying for her school too. So like I said, keep voting in a liberal president. I am a registered republican and I didn't vote for Obama either time but if it's there for the taking she might as well take advantage of it. If a crack whore with ten kids can get all the benefits in the world then I dont see what's wrong about a 21 year old girl who got knocked up but wants a good life for her and her child to take the money that the president is throwing all over the place. At least we didn't take a government paid for cell phone I guess.

D) Bad Financial Planners: You were going to take out a "loan" to finance an engagement ring. This puts your financial decisions in question, and by association, your live-in's. It is unlikely that she would be with a guy financing a ring if she were in good financial standing.

If I were to get married I would take out a small loan or finance as BradyJames said, if I could get lucky enought to find someone to do that for me.

E) People More Likely to Split: Unwed couples have a 39% change of splitting up compared to 13% for married couples. The tacit ties of shacking up with a baby are no where near as strong as an actual marriage - no matter what the religion.

Again, you are assuming we have a religon which I do not. If my daughter decides that she think there is a god that she thinks she needs to worship then I will be for that. I will not however limit her mind to tell her something her whole life and beat it into her head like I am sure you do to your poor kids. I don't know what or who our creator is just as you do not. Thanks for the pointers though, I really do appreciate them. If we decide to get married then I will make sure to let you know the steps we take in preparation for that.

Marry the mother of your child if you love her, dumbass.

I will add that was a very Christian thing for you to do to break down my life.

I'm not a Christian which doesn't make me a bad person and I certainly do not judge people like you. That is something that I will definitely pass on to my child. Hopefully you do the same to yours.

Something else I've learned in this thread:

Moderate to decent engagement ring: Cheap, poor person.
Nice engagement ring: Wife is a money grubbing whore.

Get a loose diamond and have the ring made. There are deals to be made on loose diamonds, just be smart and have the stone looked at and don't discout getting a used ring just for the stone. I got a deal on a loose diamond and knew a jewler who made the ring... even had I not known the jeweler I would have saved tons.

I will add that was a very Christian thing for you to do to break down my life.

I'm not a Christian which doesn't make me a bad person and I certainly do not judge people like you. That is something that I will definitely pass on to my child. Hopefully you do the same to yours.
I will teach my kids to judge anyone who is willfully on the dole as a "loser" from an early age. That way, they'll know who to avoid in life, and why they should set goals in life.

Why would I care if your kind judged me?

How and why would fecal mite judge a Pegasus?

What would be the point of caring about that from either perspective?

I was going to spend a couple thousand on a ring and then my wife decided she wanted to wear her grandmother's ring that was passed down so I ended up spending about $50 to have it resized, cleaned up, and have the diamonds tightened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT