ADVERTISEMENT

Enes to the Celtics for only 5 million per season

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
That seems like a steal to me. Ed Davis is getting the same pay and averaged 5 PPG and 8 RPG compared to Enes's 14 and 10. I mean Mason Freaking Plumlee got over 13 million per year a couple of years ago and has never averaged more than 11 and 8.

I would fire my agent if I were Enes.

Last edited:
He really only has value if you're a team trying to win now that needs scoring and doesn't value defense.

That's a really narrow market criteria, and very few of those teams have money available right now.

His offensive numbers are fine; his defensive numbers are atrocious. take the money and run Enes.

Yeah based on these other contracts, he is way underpaid. I think he is more valuable than Harrison Barnes for one

Reactions: Ky grandpa
For sure, so many fail to understand these numbers and understand how it would affect the normal person.

I am not certain what you mean and while I agree that even 5 million per year is an crazy amount compared to Plumlee it would seem to be extremely low.

Enes has earned $94M for his career so far. He has done well for himself. So he can afford to take a 2yr $10M deal. It's clear he is picking a team that gives himself a chance to win instead of chasing a bigger paycheck elsewhere.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I am not certain what you mean and while I agree that even 5 million per year is an crazy amount compared to Plumlee it would seem to be extremely low.

The poster I responded to was talking about perceptions of what people think is big money. It’s like when people who gamble say that a million dollar lottery isn’t worth betting on.

I thought once Noel told the Thunder to hold on, I thought maybe he could go to Boston and be a nice defensive guy on that team against Embiid like Horford used to be. Love Enes but oh boy in the playoffs.

"Only 5 million".....man, these ridiculous salaries have really changed people's perceptions

How about the way DV and other announcers cry about a coach being fired and getting a few million in severance? Personally, I think they need to be more concerned about someone making $40K a year getting fired and having a family to support.

Just using some rough numbers, $100k is a LOT of money per year for most people. Even at $100k, it would take someone 50 years to make $5 million!

That seems like a steal to me. Ed Davis is getting the same pay and averaged 5 PPG and 8 RPG compared to Enes's 14 and 10. I mean Mason Freaking Plumlee got over 13 million per year a couple of years ago and has never averaged more than 11 and 8.

Per game stats are the flip phones of 2019: you can use them, but you'll look like an out of touch old fart.

Reactions: Chase4UK
Yeah based on these other contracts, he is way underpaid. I think he is more valuable than Harrison Barnes for one

That's a combination of positional value (bigs are a dime a dozen unless truly elite), Harrison Barnes being overpaid since his second contract, and the Sacramento tax.

"Only 5 million".....man, these ridiculous salaries have really changed people's perceptions

For sure, so many fail to understand these numbers and understand how it would affect the normal person.

It’s all contextual. I don’t think anyone here in their right mind would say that 5 million dollars isn’t a LOT of money.

When looking at it with the lens of the NBA it is objectively a fact to say that it’s not a lot of money. It’s hard to have a conversation about NBA salaries if every time you talk about a contract you have to throw in the caveat of, “Oh but that’s a ton of money for a normal person.” Every single contract in the NBA would fit that definition.

We’re not exactly talking about your average joe here, and I think that’s implicitly part of the conversation.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
No, Kanter is solid depth who can play a lot in certain matchups, but not at all in others. If you’re willing to pay Harrison Barnes, he is much more useful.

It’s all contextual. I don’t think anyone here in their right mind would say that 5 million dollars isn’t a LOT of money.

When looking at it with the lens of the NBA it is objectively a fact to say that it’s not a lot of money. It’s hard to have a conversation about NBA salaries if every time you talk about a contract you have to throw in the caveat of, “Oh but that’s a ton of money for a normal person.” Every single contract in the NBA would fit that definition.

We’re not exactly talking about your average joe here, and I think that’s implicitly part of the conversation.

You make a VERY good point! It is contextual and maybe doesn't need to be part of the conversation. However, the flip side is that we do live in a society that has largely ignored and forgotten the fact that many Americans are struggling to have a decent level of living.

My wife listens to the TV preachers and I hear them talking about having enough faith for a new swimming pool or new tea towels and I immediately understand that they are making so much money that they cannot understand what is is like to live the way many of the people who are sending them $20 a month do.

Sorry, but 5mil a year is not anything to sneeze at I dont care if it is NBA we're talking about.
Legends who made the NBA never came close to that money. Acting as if a player is getting shorted is ridiculous.

Reactions: Wildcatfan2381
Sorry, but 5mil a year is not anything to sneeze at I dont care if it is NBA we're talking about.
Legends who made the NBA never came close to that money. Acting as if a player is getting shorted is ridiculous.

Again, no one is suggesting that it’s “not anything to sneeze at.” If you can’t separate normal life from an industry that pays out in millions then sure, you’re going to come to that conclusion.

I’m just saying that’s not a logical approach when talking about NBA salaries, because at that point if the best player in the world is making the league minimum, by your logic it’d be perfectly fine and he’d not be getting shorted a dime.

If your profession, skills, and experience demand $50,000 in salary but you’re only offered $35,000, you’re getting shorted. If your profession, skills, and experience demand $7,500,000 but you’re only offered $5,000,000, you’re being shorted. Is the $5,000,000 salary objectively way better than the $35,000? Yes, but that’s life. Just because you don’t feel sorry for Kanter (which no one is really implying you should be) it doesn’t mean he couldn’t possibly be shorted on salary in his respective profession.

Again, no one is suggesting that it’s “not anything to sneeze at.” If you can’t separate normal life from an industry that pays out in millions then sure, you’re going to come to that conclusion.

I’m just saying that’s not a logical approach when talking about NBA salaries, because at that point if the best player in the world is making the league minimum, by your logic it’d be perfectly fine and he’d not be getting shorted a dime.

If your profession, skills, and experience demand $50,000 in salary but you’re only offered $35,000, you’re getting shorted. If your profession, skills, and experience demand $7,500,000 but you’re only offered $5,000,000, you’re being shorted. Is the $5,000,000 salary objectively way better than the $35,000? Yes, but that’s life. Just because you don’t feel sorry for Kanter (which no one is really implying you should be) it doesn’t mean he couldn’t possibly be shorted on salary in his respective profession.
You're way over doing this. I understand how professional sports and real life work works out.

You're way over doing this. I understand how professional sports and real life work works out.

What am I over doing? We get it, you don’t feel sorry for him. I don’t think anyone here is speaking about it that way. I certainly don’t feel sorry for him. I can still understand how his salary may be a bargain considering the market.

Yeah but Ed Davis does play defense, as does Plumlee but he's overpaid. Ed Davis is good, averaged 12 and 18 per 36 at 62% (though bad at the foul line), Kanter was 20 and 15 at 55%. Both are really good deals. Davis and Kanter have consistently been two of the better rebounders in the league when you look at their per 36s.

Kanter is going to be unplayable against Philly. Embiid will score at will against him. And what if Boston plays Toronto in the playoffs? He won't even be able to travel for the road games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT