ADVERTISEMENT

Ellen says goodbye

Im randomly going back 9 straght seasons and he wasnt up to UK standards or the $9 million a year we paid him.
The only seasons that weren't standards for UK or Cal were post covid...thats a fact.

Pre Covid 10 seasons:
1 Title Season
1 Runner up Season
4 seasons played in the Final Four
7 seasons played in the Elite 8
8 seasons played in the Sweet 16
1 Missed Tournament

Last 3 seasons before Covid were Elite Eight, Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight

Post Covid 4 seasons:
0 Title Season
0 Runner up Season
0 seasons played in the Final Four
0 seasons played in the Elite 8
0 seasons played in the Sweet 16
3 First weekend Bounce Outs
1 Missed Tournament

Don't let facts affect an opinion though. How many titles have we had since the field wasn't 8 teams like in Rupps day? UK extreme standards of today are "given not earned" so to speak because we haven't even been on Uconn, Duke, Kansas or UNC's level for the past 25 years.

Past 9 years? We keep extending this thing when it just isnt true lol. Yes the past four years have been bad (starting with the COVID year when all the Blue Bloods were horrible), but if you count his last nine tournament appearances that would include:

1 Final Four
2 Elite Eights
1 Sweet Sixteen

Most any other schools would be ecstatic with that in a 9 year period. The last three years specifically were unacceptable, but to act like the guy wasn't as good as any up until the 2020 season is just a falsehood.
Not good enough to win against Bo Ryan when he had two NBA teams against Ryan's 1. That is the power of in-game coaching and Cal does not have it. Look at this years roster management, he's either lost it or paid to lose. Not remotely acceptable whatsoever, not even close.

Yeah they do both give off vibes that its something they just have to do now because they went so far with it. They don't seem overjoyed.
I can't get over how she keeps calling him her roommate that's basically like saying I'm ready to divorce this asshole over this whole thing I'm just not going to say exactly how bad it is

Not good enough to win against Bo Ryan when he had two NBA teams against Ryan's 1. That is the power of in-game coaching and Cal does not have it. Look at this years roster management, he's either lost it or paid to lose. Not remotely acceptable whatsoever, not even close.
I never said Cal was the best coach in the game and I believe it was time for both parties to move on. All I am saying is it is factually incorrect that the guy wasn't getting it done for 9 seasons. He only lost it AFTER Covid.

I was pretty much a Cal darksider after Wisconsin. It was clear to me then that his second title wasn’t going to happen. I never turned on him at a personal level, but it felt like Tubby 2.0 from there and if you look at Cal’s last nine years and Tubby’s last nine years, there’s considerable overlap in accomplishments.

That being said, both of their videos made me very sad. It made me reflect my last 15 years.

Reactions: MO_Blue
No Final Fours in his last 9. None. Count em up.
And are Final Fours the standard at Kentucky? After Rupp we had been to 7 Final Fours in 37 years for an average of a Final Four every 5.3 years. We went to 4 Final Fours in 15 years under Cal like that stat or not for an average of a Final Four every 3.75 years.

Unreal expectations run abundant with our fanbase and I don't say that because I wanted Cal to stay...it was his time to go.

And are Final Fours the standard at Kentucky? After Rupp we had been to 7 Final Fours in 37 years for an average of a Final Four every 5.3 years. We went to 4 Final Fours in 15 years under Cal like that stat or not for an average of a Final Four every 3.75 years.

Unreal expectations run abundant with our fanbase and I don't say that because I wanted Cal to stay...it was his time to go.
Its not unreasonable to want better results the last 9 seasons. I didnt make him leave. I was on board for next year. John chose to call the Hogs himself and thankfully so.

I thought it was extremely important that she was still selling KY. From the wife position, she was very honored to pass the torch to the next miss. Actually I think they both did. Sharing feelings that bodes well.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Yep. I think that was a brain fart. It was 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights.

Final Fours (4): 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2014-15

Elite Eights (7): 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2016-17, 2018-19

Sorry about that. Thanks for catching that.
No offense but I hate when people double dip with the stats like that. If you make a F4 then you shouldn't count E8, S16, etc., with it. I know they do it with F4's during title game years. Just a pet peeve of mine. I prefer to say it like this.

1 Title
1 Runner Up
2 F4
3 E8
1 S16
2 Second Rounds
2 First Rounds
1 NIT
1 No Tournament

That's exactly what he ended with. Now if someone said how many times did he get at least to the E8 then I would say 7. Just looks like he (all coaches) get credit for a lot more if you count them all.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
No offense but I hate when people double dip with the stats like that. If you make a F4 then you shouldn't count E8, S16, etc., with it. I know they do it with F4's during title game years. Just a pet peeve of mine. I prefer to say it like this.

1 Title
1 Runner Up
2 F4
3 E8
1 S16
2 Second Rounds
2 First Rounds
1 NIT
1 No Tournament

That's exactly what he ended with. Now if someone said how many times did he get at least to the E8 then I would say 7. Just looks like he (all coaches) get credit for a lot more if you count them all.
I hear you KyCatFan. I have some pet peeves of my own. Just ask my wife. 🤣

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT