ADVERTISEMENT

Ellen says goodbye

Now that it's over, I think we should all take the high road with all of this. There was a lot of good that came from their time in Lexington. 6 Final Fours and a National Championship are all good. 8 Elite 8s. I wish them well. I hope Cal finds a way to regain his mojo, except for when they play UK, of course.
Cal showing a little humility and admitting he failed to live up to expectations and taking responsibility for such would go a long way. “We had a great thing going here, I got complacent, I messed it up. I didn’t put the university of KY basketball first like I should have and that was wrong”. Something along those lines would do for me. Not putting his all into this years team though is just hard to get past.

I’m not trying to play a therapist, but they don’t seem like people overly joyed at a new start in either video. Gives me further reason to think they really thought Arkansas was a bargaining chip. Then again, I suppose I’m not really an expert in how one should present in such an odd situation.
I don't think they WANTED to leave for one second. Buy the writing was on the wall and John saw it.....he absolutely had to leave . Respect for the awareness...it was no longer a good fit for either party . I am forever grateful for those first 6-7 years....it had been a long drought with the Tubby decline and BCG disaster. The Calipari family will forever be part of BBN ....but im relieved this chapter is over .

Which just goes to show how out of touch Cal had become.

I truly believe that Cal still considered this his dream job. But after his early years of success, he felt like he had tenure. And that’s just not something you ever have at Kentucky. Even coach Rupp was forced out when it became apparent his fire was gone. Kentucky is the king because of the high standards here. At the end of the day it was too many close but no cigar finishes, followed by too many horribly bad finishes. You can’t have a string like that and survive here. I do feel for both him and Ellen but at the same time, Cal knew the deal when he was hired. If it truly was your dream job, you should have made it more about the team and program success and less about individual success. And the one thing you CANNOT DO is talk down to these fans. These aren’t just any fans here. We know the game. We know how it’s supposed to be played, and we know how it ain’t. We are raised on it like mother’s milk.
Huh? Rupp was forced to retire by the SEC because they had a mandatory retirement age. Unless I've seen nothing but lies my entire life

She seems pretty emotional. Very classy video.

Her and cal both seem legitimately upset about leaving. Not the normal emotion from a coach heading off to a new opportunity.

Betting we find out down the road there is way more to how this went down. Otherwise no way there is this much sadness about leaving. There would be an appreciation and excitement for what's next

Reactions: UKgal82
Huh? Rupp was forced to retire by the SEC because they had a mandatory retirement age. Unless I've seen nothing but lies my entire life

Actually that’s true. But fans were ready for him to go. And he built the damn thing. That’s the price of success.

Now that it's over, I think we should all take the high road with all of this. There was a lot of good that came from their time in Lexington. 6 Final Fours and a National Championship are all good. 8 Elite 8s. I wish them well. I hope Cal finds a way to regain his mojo, except for when they play UK, of course.
The high road is definitely the one less traveled.

What a weird situation. Probably the weirdest coaching change in college basketball history…”im gonna leave…but I really don’t want to…I’m gonna coach at Arkansas…but I really don’t want to….im gonna wear red…but I really don’t want to”…I, of course, don’t know that this is how it is…but it sure seems that way
I would argue the post-Alford search at UCLA played out more bizarrely, at least to this point. I have a feeling UK will have its guy before church on Sunday.

Six final fours? Eight elite eights? Huh?

She always gave the appearance of being a very classy lady. I find it hard to feel badly for someone who will leave with the money they made while they were here.

Now that they’re gone, my anger is gone. I’m not going to boo Cal, I hope he wears Kentucky gear when he’s retired and floating around Nashville.

It was just the feeling like my program was being held hostage by someone who was unwilling to actually change or to win a different way. It enraged me and I’d wanted Cal gone for years, because I could see the writing on the wall starting around 2018, and by the end of the covid season I was resigned to that we’d never win big again with Cal as coach. I’d get my hopes up and cheer every year, but it was a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom every time they failed each post season.

I’m glad/sad he’s finally gone, it’s the right thing to do for both parties. I hope he has a moderately successful short stint with the Razorbacks and retires considering himself a Wildcat.

Well said

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Mrs Cal was always my favorite Cal.
She sounded actually hurt to make the video if it's not real it's pretty solid acting ...I hate if Cal used Arkansas as a bargaining chip ****if**** he and Ellen really didn't wanna go because admin was going to ride it out and give him a opportunity to fix his shortfalls.
Ellen gives the vibe like she's not happy with Cal trying to bargain when he already had the world in a place they love and pushed it too far and got told thanks but no thanks enjoy Arkansas.

It makes sense with the Cal waiting and not making any contact with UK leadership or putting out anything. I really think he was trying to get a few more million or some donors on board for NIL and he never thought UK admin would just let him walk ..that would be totally out of touch but we are talking about CAL

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
I feel bad she will have roll the trash cans to the back yard so they can burn the trash in Fayetteville. Won't have to get help from her roommate

What a weird situation. Probably the weirdest coaching change in college basketball history…”im gonna leave…but I really don’t want to…I’m gonna coach at Arkansas…but I really don’t want to….im gonna wear red…but I really don’t want to”…I, of course, don’t know that this is how it is…but it sure seems that way
Cause by assuming, I really think Cal feels he done less with more. And cannot turnback Time. Anyone that thinks this guy didn't want to meet his initial goals is delusional. He came here to win and win big. And came extremely close. Simply didn't happen. Of course, behind closed doors. "The wife has to be positive, she knows he wishes what could have been". But he does have positives to atleast feel good about. Compare both goodbye vids. Pretty much eluded to all of this. Kentucky needs new voice. Very telling. Just my 2 cents.

Cal will always be a national champion @ Ky. Anything else is just the basket, with one shining apple in it and a ton of unripe ones. But a few got close.

I’m not trying to play a therapist, but they don’t seem like people overly joyed at a new start in either video. Gives me further reason to think they really thought Arkansas was a bargaining chip. Then again, I suppose I’m not really an expert in how one should present in such an odd situation.
If we know he had interest in the OSU job earlier in the year I don't think he was looking for a bargaining chip. I think he was tired, but wanted to go somewhere on his own time and arky was what came open and he was rushed into knowing we weren't going to deal with another season or Barnhart wasn't going to ket him operate on an island.

It's weird to think if irrelevant SMU doesn't fire their coach this may not Have happened. SMU fires coach, USC coach takes that job, gives Musselman opportunity to go back out west...

Reactions: NC Weasel
Six final fours? Eight elite eights? Huh?
Yep. I think that was a brain fart. It was 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights.

Final Fours (4): 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2014-15

Elite Eights (7): 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2016-17, 2018-19

Sorry about that. Thanks for catching that.

Edit: pardon my brain fart here. It was 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights.

That's been my take the whole time- never got into the name calling and mocking (don't even think I did it in the worst of times). I backed Cal until I no longer could and probably to a fault. He just lost his way and that is a shame. The best thing that could have happened is another title so he was a legacy coach and only 2x champ not named Rupp.

Tough pill to swallow but this should have happened a couple of years ago in retrospect.

I

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I wish it could have been different but at UK if you go 9 years with those results you must walk away to Arkansas.
Past 9 years? We keep extending this thing when it just isnt true lol. Yes the past four years have been bad (starting with the COVID year when all the Blue Bloods were horrible), but if you count his last nine tournament appearances that would include:

1 Final Four
2 Elite Eights
1 Sweet Sixteen

Most any other schools would be ecstatic with that in a 9 year period. The last three years specifically were unacceptable, but to act like the guy wasn't as good as any up until the 2020 season is just a falsehood.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Past 9 years? We keep extending this thing when it just isnt true lol. Yes the past four years have been bad (starting with the COVID year when all the Blue Bloods were horrible), but if you count his last nine tournament appearances that would include:

1 Final Four
2 Elite Eights
1 Sweet Sixteen

Most any other schools would be ecstatic with that in a 9 year period. The last three years specifically were unacceptable, but to act like the guy wasn't as good as any up until the 2020 season is just a falsehood.
No Final Fours in his last 9. None. Count em up.

Man that was much tougher to watch than Coach Cal’s. Classy lady. She should leave that loser and stay in Lexington.

Yeah they do both give off vibes that its something they just have to do now because they went so far with it. They don't seem overjoyed.

No Final Fours in his last 9. None. Count em up.
Randomly choosing 9 to push your point I get it, but I said last 9 tournament appearances because that's the issue everyone has with Cal...tournament performance. Post COVID is when the issue started for Cal....not before, but people will try to push whatever narrative they see fit I guess.

Randomly choosing 9 to push your point I get it, but I said last 9 tournament appearances because that's the issue everyone has with Cal...tournament performance. Post COVID is when the issue started for Cal....not before, but people will try to push whatever narrative they see fit I guess.
I randomly went back 9 straight seasons and he wasnt up to UK standards or the $9 million a year we paid him.

I don't think they WANTED to leave for one second. Buy the writing was on the wall and John saw it.....he absolutely had to leave . Respect for the awareness...it was no longer a good fit for either party . I am forever grateful for those first 6-7 years....it had been a long drought with the Tubby decline and BCG disaster. The Calipari family will forever be part of BBN ....but im relieved this chapter is over .
Had he followed the 10 yr. rule for ky coaches he would be viewed differently by BBN.

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT