ADVERTISEMENT

Ellen says goodbye

I’m not trying to play a therapist, but they don’t seem like people overly joyed at a new start in either video. Gives me further reason to think they really thought Arkansas was a bargaining chip. Then again, I suppose I’m not really an expert in how one should present in such an odd situation.

What a weird situation. Probably the weirdest coaching change in college basketball history…”im gonna leave…but I really don’t want to…I’m gonna coach at Arkansas…but I really don’t want to….im gonna wear red…but I really don’t want to”…I, of course, don’t know that this is how it is…but it sure seems that way

Now that it's over, I think we should all take the high road with all of this. There was a lot of good that came from their time in Lexington. 6 Final Fours and a National Championship are all good. 8 Elite 8s. I wish them well. I hope Cal finds a way to regain his mojo, except for when they play UK, of course.

Edit: pardon my brain fart here. It was 4 Final Fours and 7 Elite Eights.

Last edited:
What a weird situation. Probably the weirdest coaching change in college basketball history…”im gonna leave…but I really don’t want to…I’m gonna coach at Arkansas…but I really don’t want to….im gonna wear red…but I really don’t want to”…I, of course, don’t know that this is how it is…but it sure seems that way

Yes, I keep seeing people saying he was using Arky as a bargaining chip. That doesn't make sense. He had a lifetime deal and wasn't in a position to try and get more after another 1st round loss,

I maintain that this ended just like Tubby - Barnhart told him to get better assistants and instead he left.

Last edited:
Cal and Ellen are rich just tell Arkansas your happy now and walk away. There's a chance you can coach elsewhere later. No need to rush away just to save face, you can make your money later at another school and it doesn't have to be Arkansas.

Reactions: newyorkmets
She didn’t want to leave and probably feels like Calipari ruined them staying (she’s right). I hate it for her. She seems genuine and supportive. Unlike her “roommate.”
I believe she is from that area (lake of the Ozarks) so I am sure she will be glad to be back around a familiar area and family.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I hope some day the entire truth comes out. Mostly for my own curiosity. There just seems to be so much awkward tension based off of the two videos. UK media team always kills it in the video department but these for sure look like Ellen held the camera for both videos.

I’m not trying to play a therapist, but they don’t seem like people overly joyed at a new start in either video. Gives me further reason to think they really thought Arkansas was a bargaining chip. Then again, I suppose I’m not really an expert in how one should present in such an odd situation.
It really seems like he tried to play with the UK administration and got burned. I think they would rather retire.

Yes, I keep seeing people saying he was using Arky as a bargaining chip. That doesn't make sense. He had a lifetime deal and wasn't in a position to try and get more after another 1st round loss,

I maintain that this ended just like Tubby - Barnhart told him to get better assistants and instead he left.
BRAD... We owe Vandy.

It’s obvious she and Cal had no idea the fans turned on them big time until 2 weeks ago

Which just goes to show how out of touch Cal had become.

I truly believe that Cal still considered this his dream job. But after his early years of success, he felt like he had tenure. And that’s just not something you ever have at Kentucky. Even coach Rupp was forced out when it became apparent his fire was gone. Kentucky is the king because of the high standards here. At the end of the day it was too many close but no cigar finishes, followed by too many horribly bad finishes. You can’t have a string like that and survive here. I do feel for both him and Ellen but at the same time, Cal knew the deal when he was hired. If it truly was your dream job, you should have made it more about the team and program success and less about individual success. And the one thing you CANNOT DO is talk down to these fans. These aren’t just any fans here. We know the game. We know how it’s supposed to be played, and we know how it ain’t. We are raised on it like mother’s milk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT