ADVERTISEMENT

Elite PG visit next week??

Maybe one of the reasons players are a bit hesitant to come here is because of the damn near stalking behavior of some of you on this board. Some of you have allowed your obsession of Kentucky basketball to possibly appear threatening to some of the players. It is certainly understandable why some players would wonder if they are even allowed to take a dump without fans wanting to know and post about it. It is understandable why some coaches and players prefer to avoid this fishbowl if they have similar offers elsewhere that allow them to maintain some semblance of normalcy. NOT A SERMON; JUST A THOUGHT.
Assuming 19-23 year olds read a message board is a stretch, I do but I’m stupid. Players don’t come on here. They see what’s on Twitter, which is people attacking them

Reactions: Doodah859
Assuming 19-23 year olds read a message board is a stretch, I do but I’m stupid. Players don’t come on here. They see what’s on Twitter, which is people attacking them
You are being specific, but my point is about the obsession of UK fans demonstrated on whatever media type of their choice. Why would players want to be constantly analyzed by this fanbase if they can go elsewhere and be equally as successful.

36% from three and is an assist factory. What are your reservations?
So was Wheeler. Have we not learned our lesson with a ball dominant guard racking up assists and bricking from behind the arc?

You are being specific, but my point is about the obsession of UK fans demonstrated on whatever media type of their choice. Why would players want to be constantly analyzed by this fanbase if they can go elsewhere and be equally as successful.
With the world today they are gonna get analyzed wherever they go. Our problem is our fanbase is extremely line, Facebook, Twitter, instagram, other spaces, our fans are very active and all those players see it. Out in public talking to the players I don’t think they mind it at all

So was Wheeler. Have we not learned our lesson with a ball dominant guard racking up assists and bricking from behind the arc?
Wheeler was a 28% career three point shooter.

Hawkins is a 38% career three point shooter. He took 4 per game as well. He also is a 2 steal per game guy over the course of his career. Wheeler is a 1 steal per game guy.

With the world today they are gonna get analyzed wherever they go. Our problem is our fanbase is extremely line, Facebook, Twitter, instagram, other spaces, our fans are very active and all those players see it. Out in public talking to the players I don’t think they mind it at all
It is not true to equate UK fans' behavior to those of other programs. Arkansas fans as an example don't give a crap about who they have as a coach or players until the season start. Yeah, we have some who come here but they do it more so to rattle our chain than because they care.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

Hawkins is a 38% career three point shooter. He took 4 per game as well. He also is a 2 steal per game guy over the course of his career. Wheeler is a 1 steal per game guy.
Some of these posters want to be miserable so there is no point in trying to reason with them. They have been hooked on Cal's sizzle even though it doesn't produce any pop. The teams that have been killing it in college basketball are doing it without the typical flashy names. Our fans see it but they still want flash and sizzle.

Last edited:
If you put a V8 engine in a loaded down semi truck and the same thing in a Camaro, which is going to go from 0 to 60 faster? It's impossible to assert that a particular type of guard is going to perform poorly in Pope's system by comparing him to a similar player in Cal's "offense."

Some of these posters want to be miserable so there is no point in trying to reason with them. They have been hooked on Cal's sizzle even though it produced nothing. The teams that have been killing it in college basketball are doing it without the typical flashy names. Our fans see it but they still want flash and sizzle.
Even those not addicted to Cal-Aid or maybe even especially a segment that couldn't stand him have always been ambivalent at best with anything less than about a 40% three regardless of any other abilities and outright hostile to any player below 35% that isn't a big.

You are actually impressed with a 5'9 point guard?WOw.

• Haha
Reactions: UK-chulo
He's a strange player to watch in that he'll come out on fire.....you think he's elite and then you have moments where you wonder WTF is going on. They had several games where they'd be up big and blow the lead--Missouri and Iowa games stand out as they went 0-3 against both teams and were a 19-16 NIT team. He's not a good defensive player on the ball-he'll dig and get a few steals but he gambles.

Our nickname up here was "Draft Kings" because he's going to get his stat and effects winning but for which team in a given Half/Night?
I had commented in another thread, but I had thought he was a pretty good defensive player. I’ll assume I was wrong.

If you put a V8 engine in a loaded down semi truck and the same thing in a Camaro, which is going to go from 0 to 60 faster? It's impossible to assert that a particular type of guard is going to perform poorly in Pope's system by comparing him to a similar player in Cal's "offense."
Wheeler would have been terrible in both offenses. Another short PG who gets tons of assists because he has the ball all the time is a risk, especially if he can’t shoot over defenders.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Maybe one of the reasons players are a bit hesitant to come here is because of the damn near stalking behavior of some of you on this board. Some of you have allowed your obsession of Kentucky basketball to possibly appear threatening to some of the players. It is certainly understandable why some players would wonder if they are even allowed to take a dump without fans wanting to know and post about it. It is understandable why some coaches and players prefer to avoid this fishbowl if they have similar offers elsewhere that allow them to maintain some semblance of normalcy. NOT A SERMON; JUST A THOUGHT.
I agree with your thoughts. When some fans start tracking planes i think it is a little over the top. I hope Pope and staff keep a lot of their recruiting close to the vest and surprise us when they commit. And then you would have a lot of fans say they are not happy with the new guy. Trust the Staff !

Reactions: LmdCat
You forgot Wheeler.
You forgot Tyler Ulis and Travis Ford. See how it works?
Ford was great until he was on the same floor as the Fab 5. Then 5’9” was real bad.
What was real bad was Mashburn fouling out. What was real bad was going up against the 6'8" point guard, the likes of which college basketball has not seen since. What was real bad was going up against the Fab five in a second season. What was real bad was having no answer for Chris Webber down low, Dale Brown getting injured, a complete no show from Rodrick Rhodes, and a stupid foul by Mashburn in overtime. But if you want to oversimplify things down to a 5'9" point guard, I'm not sure anyone can stop you.

Travis Ford was fine against the 6'3" Sam Cassell earlier in that same tournament. But let's treat his height disadvantage as a universal weakness.

Additionally, why no mention of Ulis if shorter point guards are to be universally shunned because we have PTSD caused by Wheeler?

You forgot Tyler Ulis and Travis Ford. See how it works?

What was real bad was Mashburn fouling out. What was real bad was going up against the 6'8" point guard, the likes of which college basketball has not seen since. What was real bad was going up against the Fab five in a second season. What was real bad was having no answer for Chris Webber down low, Dale Brown getting injured, and a stupid foul by Mashburn in overtime. But if you want to oversimplify things, I'm not sure anyone can stop you.

Travis Ford was fine against the 6'3" Sam Cassell. But let's treat his height disadvantage as a universal weakness.

Additionally, why no mention of Ulis if shorter point guards are to be universally shunned because we have PTSD caused by Wheeler?
We can't have it both ways.We bashed the hell out of Cal for getting poor shooting guards and were happy with Pope because he's an offensive coach.But suddenly it's okay.

Reactions: JFCats22
We can't have it both ways.We bashed the hell out of Cal for getting poor shooting guards and were happy with Pope because he's an offensive coach.But suddenly it's okay.
Hawkins isnt a poor shooter. Are you slow?

And 36% from deep and 79% from the line isn’t good for you?)
He’s not elite. I can’t believe that’s even an argument that anyone is trying to sell.

He’s 5’9, 150 pounds and a terrible defender. We have reached banana land stuff if this guy is someone to get excited about.

Reactions: Mike-D and track42
Some of these posters want to be miserable so there is no point in trying to reason with them. They have been hooked on Cal's sizzle even though it produced nothing. The teams that have been killing it in college basketball are doing it without the typical flashy names. Our fans see it but they still want flash and sizzle.

Or we just don't think he's elite, because he's not.

He’s not elite. I can’t believe that’s even an argument that anyone is trying to sell.

He’s 5’9, 150 pounds and a terrible defender. We have reached banana land stuff if this guy is someone to get excited about.
Joe Tipton called him elite …so holler at him but saying he’s not a good pg is crazy.

2nd in the nation in assist. If anything is elite it’s his assist numbers.

Considering a pg job is to pass the ball sounds like a nice fit to me.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Joe Tipton called him elite …so holler at him but saying he’s not a good pg is crazy.

2nd in the nation in assist. If anything is elite it’s his assist numbers.

Considering a pg job is to pass the ball sounds like a nice fit to me.

We did the Wheeler experiment a couple years ago. Undersized guard that can distribute the rock. Yes, this kid shoots it better, but he's still a career 40% shooter from the field.

Reactions: track42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT