ADVERTISEMENT

EJ Montgomery

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Just want to get the overall thoughts of BBN on EJ so far. I think we can all agree he will be back next year.

Maybe I'm wrong though but wasn't EJ supposed to be our 2nd best player coming in after Keldon?

There was a crucial play in the 2nd half I thought yesterday where he got the ball 1 step in from the 3 point line and launched a horrible shot with about 5 minutes left. Maybe from the lack of minutes he gets he feels the need to shoot whenever the opportunity arises.

What type of player is he going to be going forward I guess is what I'm asking.

EJ is a solid young player with a bright future. He has great bounce and energy and a sweet stroke. He needs to bulk up but I think he gets more minutes as the season goes on and will start and flourish next season - putting himself squarely in 1st round territory after his sophomore season.

EJ has the more natural talent than Travis and PJ, but not ready to take minutes from them.
Next should be his with natural stretch 4 ability. Still need Hurt or JM or both.

I can't blame guys for wanting a big paycheck and playing against the present stars in the NBA but leaving too early will have them sitting on the bench hoping to play against them and stay on the team to boot.

Reactions: DraftCat
He was open, shot didn’t look bad, but we had better options and Tyler, Reid, and KJ all with the hotter hand. With the game that was becoming a slug fest shootout, EJ’s shot from the Range was ill advised. If anything it would have been better EJ to drive or pass off.

Agreed in a vacuum isn't wasn't HORRIBLE.... but lack of rhythm and the game flow made it ill-advised. He was better off driving then taking his 1st or 2nd shot of the game from that spot on the floor.

Reactions: KeepingItReal74
Agreed in a vacuum isn't wasn't HORRIBLE.... but lack of rhythm and the game flow made it ill-advised. He was better off driving then taking his 1st or 2nd shot of the game from that spot on the floor.
I agree with you. It’s part of understanding the game. For some players that young, the stage does not frighten them. I think the hostile environment creates bad judgement or hurried shots like EJ’s. EJ seemed to be indecisive and I bet the crowd had something to do with it. I’m sure he realizes it now or was even spoken to from a coach. He will learn. Just glad in a game where every play mattered down the stretch we still got the W.

Reactions: DraftCat
Just want to get the overall thoughts of BBN on EJ so far. I think we can all agree he will be back next year.

Maybe I'm wrong though but wasn't EJ supposed to be our 2nd best player coming in after Keldon?

There was a crucial play in the 2nd half I thought yesterday where he got the ball 1 step in from the 3 point line and launched a horrible shot with about 5 minutes left. Maybe from the lack of minutes he gets he feels the need to shoot whenever the opportunity arises.

What type of player is he going to be going forward I guess is what I'm asking.
Hopefully he is back with us next season. When he gets to play most of the game he will season pretty fast because of his talent and consistent effort he gives.

EJ has the more natural talent than Travis and PJ, but not ready to take minutes from them.
Next should be his with natural stretch 4 ability. Still need Hurt or JM or both.
Agree. Would love him to be a 2 and done but it’s early, just January, and he could blow up in the SECT and the agents will be in his ear.

Reactions: awf
EJ always looks like he is thinking instead of reacting. That will change when he gets extended minutes.

Unfortunately that probably is next year.
Agree, but I’m hoping the light comes on in March or before. You just never know. It’s all about confidence and confidence leads to better performance.

Reactions: uky8unc5
i didn't think it was a bad shot
It was an awful shot .You can get that shot anytime you want, the game was getting very tight at that point, he hasn't made a shot outside of 2' in like fifty years and there was plenty of time on the shot clock.

Reactions: Cats192
The problem is he keeps shooting it and keeps missing it.

You're nearly 7 foot tall, long, athletic. Stop settling for jump shots.

He's been getting that look a lot, and I can't remember the last time he hit it. I have no faith in that shot. He needs to post up, attack, catch lobs and rebounds for put backs

It was a bad shot. Also one that he takes a lot.

An 18 footer might be ok off of a ball fake and drive. It isn’t horrible on a kick out, although you would prefer a three.

But a couple of perimeter passes culminating in an 18 footer for your 5 guy is a recipe for disaster.

I do think he’s pressing a bit. Gets few opportunities so he tries to prove himself with his jumper.

Almost every single one of his jumpshot is a foot in front of the three-point line. To me, it just seems he is setting up at the wrong spot on the floor while they are Running the offense. I don’t mind the fact that he is taking those shots because apparently he can hit them. Just need to step up another foot or two or take a step back for the three. Before he ever gets the ball.

He shows a lot of promise. While I expected a little more out of him this year, I'm still fairly excited about his future. I wouldn't rule him out of becoming more of a reliable contributor this season but he's not going to warrant starters minutes or even the 6th man position.

Out of all the big men we've had in recent years who look likely to stay (Humphries, Jones, etc.) he's the most exciting to me and has the highest ceiling. I think he'll be very important next year.

He shows a lot of promise. While I expected a little more out of him this year, I'm still fairly excited about his future. I wouldn't rule him out of becoming more of a reliable contributor this season but he's not going to warrant starters minutes or even the 6th man position.

Out of all the big men we've had in recent years who look likely to stay (Humphries, Jones, etc.) he's the most exciting to me and has the highest ceiling. I think he'll be very important next year.

I said early in the year that I would be shocked if he came back. Based on his play, I no longer feel that way, but I do wonder what’s in his head.

I would love to have EJ back next year with just a normal level of progression. Our recruiting issues at the 5 spot would no longer be issues. A sophomore EJ Montgomery could be as good as any big in the country.

I like EJ a lot. I also like JB quite a bit. I think they’ll make significant contributions at times before the season is over.

Next season I look for both to be really good players.

Reactions: crpoore
EJ is a solid young player with a bright future. He has great bounce and energy and a sweet stroke. He needs to bulk up but I think he gets more minutes as the season goes on and will start and flourish next season - putting himself squarely in 1st round territory after his sophomore season.
Great energy? What are you watching?

I haven’t given up hope on the current season yet for EJ. We’ve had a couple of freshmen - Townes being the obvious best example - that looked wholly different in lat March compared to January.

Reactions: Aike
I haven’t given up hope on the current season yet for EJ. We’ve had a couple of freshmen - Townes being the obvious best example - that looked wholly different in lat March compared to January.

I’ll never forget what Marcus Lee did vs. Michigan in 2014. EJ Montgomery is better than Lee. I still expect EJ to be the difference in a game or two before the season ends.

I think UK fans have gotten a little spoiled to be honest.

When your comparison is Boogie, AD, Nerlens, and KAT who all had potential to be #1 pick we get a really bad perspective.

Being a big is difficult because easy to get into foul trouble with bad defense by guards. Have to do a lot more rotation and learn to be abused inside. (People often say Skal was used incorrectly, but that's not the case he couldn't play because he fouled too much...and terrible rebounder)

I think EJ has had really good freshman year.

4.2 points, 3.6 rebounds, .4 assists, 1.1 block per games at 14.5 minutes per game. That's really solid to build up on next year. Thats something he can really build up on. Nick is learning too and showing signs more consistently than he did last year.

I hope that EJ and Richards both come back next year, and we will have really SICK rotation at the 5.

He rushes his play like he knows his minutes and opportunities are going to be limited. So far, he hasn’t shown much during game action to prove otherwise. However since he is more fluid than RT (though nowhere as near as strong, tough, or seasoned) and has more basketball IQ than NR so I expect him to continue to get his chances as he should. With only 4 bigs, he will be needed so it’s important he continues his development.

Seems to me the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Does everything in a hurry especially shooting. When it does the light will come on and he'll play a lot better. In the mean time he needs to rebound, protect the rim and move the ball.

He'll be fine next year. He's just stuck in a logjam behind PJ and Travis. Give him some extended minutes and I think he'll relax and we'll see significant improvement.

I said early in the year that I would be shocked if he came back. Based on his play, I no longer feel that way, but I do wonder what’s in his head.

I would love to have EJ back next year with just a normal level of progression. Our recruiting issues at the 5 spot would no longer be issues. A sophomore EJ Montgomery could be as good as any big in the country.

I do think Cal wasn't using EJ, and Richards for that matter, enough early in the season. It's clear small ball doesn't work against some of the longer teams in the SEC. This may lead to a slight uptick in production as the season goes on as Cal starts to pair one of the bigs with either PJ or Travis a bit more. He's even played them together a bit.

I think part of the issue as well is they are almost always playing with another forward in PJ or Travis who remain the #1 post option. It sorta relegates them to chase offensive rebounds and/or to pull defenses away.

A second year of EJ could be pretty great though. I could see him making a huge leap. I agree, he could be one of the best bigs in the country.

He shoots that shot every game and hasn’t hit one yet. An 18 footer is useless. You should either shoot a 3 pointer or get closer to the rim. 18 feet is no man’s land.
He does shoot that shot a lot and I don't remember him hitting one. But I do think he has a lot of promise as a player and I hope he does come back next year

Nice to see a good honest discussion on EJ... don't think I've seen one this year yet which is why I made the thread.

Appreciate the thread - he’s the one player I know the least about and haven’t seen play very much
South Paw big men come rare. Two of my faves. Keith Lee from old Memphis State and Derrick Coleman. And used to love Wayman Tisdale and Stacey Augman as forwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT