ADVERTISEMENT

EJ Montgomery

I don’t really expect a “surge” in EJ this year, would more likely expect something like that from Richards. Richards is larger and stronger, not to mention more experienced here. So I hope EJ comes back and improves next year.

That baseline 15 footer, tough angle, just a bad efficiency location. If you’re not hitting that at a super high rate, which he hasn’t been, why develop that. Rather see Washington or Travis try a trey. Try to develop a 3 ball, can get away with lower efficiency.

some of its on Cal. Cal hasnt yet learned what to do with big men like this. Poythress, Skal and EJ are strickly perimeter 4s. but there isnt anything in Cal's offense that features their skills.

some of its on Cal. Cal hasnt yet learned what to do with big men like this. Poythress, Skal and EJ are strickly perimeter 4s. but there isnt anything in Cal's offense that features their skills.

A “perimeter” 4 who can’t score or defend efficiently from the perimeter? Poythress and Skal haven’t been much used on the next level either, so maybe it’s not a Cal thing...

Reactions: JC43 and jace2012
Thanks for your worse case.

That’s not a case, that’s how it is at the moment. Until he develops more, it’s not really on Cal to use him to the detriment of the team
in the hope that he becomes a perimeter 4.

Lee or Skal weren’t perimeter 4s either, imo. They did their best when getting offensive outback’s, alley oops and blocks. Not meaning to be critical, maybe I just don’t know what a perimeter 4 is?

That’s not a case, that’s how it is at the moment. Until he develops more, it’s not really on Cal to use him to the detriment of the team
in the hope that he becomes a perimeter 4.

Lee or Skal weren’t perimeter 4s either, imo. They did their best when getting offensive outback’s, alley oops and blocks. Not meaning to be critical, maybe I just don’t know what a perimeter 4 is?
We said the same about Marcus Lee. EJ is better than Marcus. Marcus play got us to the title game with multiple blocks and backdoor oops. EJ can do the same.

Everybody saying EJ is our answer at the 5 next year but my question is what games have you been watching? EJ is a stick who shies away from contact and strictly wants to roam on the perimeter. He is not the answer at the 5 spot. We better hope Richards comes back and improves and we either get a grad transfer or a reclass to back him up.

Everybody saying EJ is our answer at the 5 next year but my question is what games have you been watching? EJ is a stick who shies away from contact and strictly wants to roam on the perimeter. He is not the answer at the 5 spot. We better hope Richards comes back and improves and we either get a grad transfer or a reclass to back him up.

no one is saying that. like no one

Reactions: JC43
I think EJ could be a great player for us with a year or two of development. I hope we see it. Problem is, if he has 2-3 good games in March he’s gone. We all know it. Just takes a guy with potential showing it less than a handful of times late in the year and he leaves.

Kid has the talent, but he was the only one that really looked out of his comfort zone yesterday. I think back to when he was hurt and missed time with the team and wonder did that mess with him gelling with the chemistry of the team, but it was so long ago I doubt it. Not sure what's going on. He will be good, just not sure when. I would have liked to see Nick with his mins. yesterday, but you don't know until he's out there awhile. If he comes back next year he should be an absolute beast. Just seems like his confidence isn't there and not sure why.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Some bigs just take longer to develop and he will come around . You can see he has the skills to become a great player.

I guess the kid can't improve during the offseason?

He's got the talent, he needs to get stronger and better defensively.

Not writing this kid off just because he hasn't had a great Freshman year.

He definitely needs improvement when it comes to his physicality, though, I'll give you that.

I think UK fans have gotten a little spoiled to be honest.

When your comparison is Boogie, AD, Nerlens, and KAT who all had potential to be #1 pick we get a really bad perspective.

Being a big is difficult because easy to get into foul trouble with bad defense by guards. Have to do a lot more rotation and learn to be abused inside. (People often say Skal was used incorrectly, but that's not the case he couldn't play because he fouled too much...and terrible rebounder)

I think EJ has had really good freshman year.

4.2 points, 3.6 rebounds, .4 assists, 1.1 block per games at 14.5 minutes per game. That's really solid to build up on next year. Thats something he can really build up on. Nick is learning too and showing signs more consistently than he did last year.

I hope that EJ and Richards both come back next year, and we will have really SICK rotation at the 5.
But is it really solid to build? Like really solid? To build upon?

I hear you and don't disagree.
But EJ's 'game' is not in the paint. And I suspect his Coach tells him to shoot.

But it needs to be, right?

A stretch 4 isn't supposed to skip the traditional big man part. The jump shot is an added bonus. You're supposed to be able to score around the rim first, and use that shot to keep the defense honest.

He always misses the shot. There's literally no reason for the defense to respect it.

I think a lot of young stretch 4's hurt themselves by trying to show themselves as primarily shooters.

He always misses the shot. There's literally no reason for the defense to respect it. I think a lot of young stretch 4's hurt themselves by trying to show themselves as primarily shooters.
I hear you, and I'm not arguing. Just saying: E.J. was recruited by Cal NOT to be Reid Travis but to be who he IS. And Cal wants him to be this Kid.

Reactions: jace2012
I guess the kid can't improve during the offseason?

He's got the talent, he needs to get stronger and better defensively.

Not writing this kid off just because he hasn't had a great Freshman year.

He definitely needs improvement when it comes to his physicality, though, I'll give you that.
Not saying he can't be a good/great player. I'm saying he is not a 5. He's tall but so is Jaden McDaniels and he is not a 5 either. They are both perimeter players.

no one is saying that. like no one
A LOT of people on this board keep saying we will be ok AT THE 5 spot if Nick and EJ come back. EJ is not a 5. He is a perimeter oriented 4 who happens to be tall. That does nothing for our inside game next year.

I see a guy who rebounds and blocks shots at a similar rate as Nick Richards. For his career at least. Nick has been a little better this year. Hasn’t made a three all year.

I think he can absolutely play as a stretch 5 in the modern game. Rebound, protect the rim, lobs and dunks. Foul line jumper. Hopefully develop out to three point range for a shot or two a night.

Whether or not you want to call that a 5, he can be your primary big on the floor in the modern game and you can be fine. I’m saying with reasonable development and progression.

Would like to see him as more of a facilitator, but that will come as the game slows down and with increased minutes.

Reactions: 1war and uky8unc5
Just want to get the overall thoughts of BBN on EJ so far. I think we can all agree he will be back next year.

Maybe I'm wrong though but wasn't EJ supposed to be our 2nd best player coming in after Keldon?
Prior to the start of the season, Johnson, Monty, Herro were supposed to be OAD.

Only 1 is actually doing well enough to go. The others may, but shouldn’t.

Also depending on which mock you like, Washington and Richards were to be first rounders.

Just want to get the overall thoughts of BBN on EJ so far. I think we can all agree he will be back next year.

Maybe I'm wrong though but wasn't EJ supposed to be our 2nd best player coming in after Keldon?

There was a crucial play in the 2nd half I thought yesterday where he got the ball 1 step in from the 3 point line and launched a horrible shot with about 5 minutes left. Maybe from the lack of minutes he gets he feels the need to shoot whenever the opportunity arises.

What type of player is he going to be going forward I guess is what I'm asking.
Whether Montgomery will be back next year depends on what happens between now and June. Montgomery hasn’t gotten much playing time because he is playing behind Travis and Washington. Right now, Montgomery looks to me like he just needs to see the floor more in order to get comfortable and stop overthinking. Montgomery is much more talented than he has had a chance to show so far. He is talented enough to get drafted. And if UK gets beyond the Sweet Sixteen, he will probably get chances to showcase it. What Montgomery doesn’t have right now is NBA physical strength. He would be better off coming back to UK one more season to work on that, and I hope he does. But lots of bigs get drafted before they are physically ready for the NBA.

I was worried about EJ from the beginning and I still I am. Cal does not typically recruit guys like EJ as they don't fit his style. I think we took EJ because he was available late and we'd missed on a lot of guys. Don't get me wrong he's highly rated and all and I think he is a very talented player. However Cal doesn't like 6'10 creators. He wants 6'10 guys in the post, banging, rebounding, blocking shots. That's just not EJ. EJ wants to play with the ball in his hands. His whole career the offense has flowed through him. He's a great passer and pretty good ball handler for his size. Cal just won't ever use him like that and I think we'll never see the "best EJ" here unfortunately

I think Montgomery has a ton of potential. Don't bother blasting me but I'm not sure Cal knows what to do with him much like SKJ. Honestly he may have been better off at a Michigan or Virginia that uses their bigs differently.

Are you EJ? I think its common knowledge foot on the line or 1 step in from the 3 point line is the worst shot in basketball.
The worse shot in basketball is the one that doesn’t go in. I didn’t think it was a bad shot either. All E. J. needs is more strength and more game time. Might be a two year player! I definitely like his upside.

I think he is inclined toward the perimeter but has some nice inside moves and some shot blocking potential. He is a four that wants to take long jumpers but doesn't trust his range so he is jacking ill advised 17 and 18 footers too often for my tastes.

My advice is get stronger especially your legs and core.
Work on extending your range to where if you are out that deep then nail the 3 but while you do that outside the games let's get a 15 and in game working.
Show you can hit 12-15 like clockwork and contribute a bit of work around the rim on both ends (never show that you are trying to dodge the dirty work) and you get paid.

18 foot misses don't get paid or played and 18 foot makes get coaching to see the above so you can see I'm being pretty glass half full with you.

Is my advice to the kid. I think he can be a stud but it will take more than deep 2 point jumpers for sure.

He needs to be stronger but I like his little inside game, he just always wants to drift outside but isn't quite there yet in that area.

He best listen to Cal and rev up that motor and he can be special.

Not saying he can't be a good/great player. I'm saying he is not a 5. He's tall but so is Jaden McDaniels and he is not a 5 either. They are both perimeter players.

5 men can play on the perimeter and also inside. I think that is the direction Cal wants Montgomery to go in.

Montgomery needs a lot of work on his inside game. He needs to get more comfortable in the post. That adds another dimension to his game.

In the NBA, he will need to be able to do both. The best bigs in the NBA can post you up, take you out on the perimeter and drill the 3, or drive it. That's what Cal is going to ask of Montgomery next season, if he returns.

Raw, but incredible potential.

Good shooter and quick for a guy of his size, has potential to develop into a dominant offensive player.

It's not uncommon for bigs to take an extra year or sometimes two to fully transition into the college level.

He's a future stud.

I'm going to pile on here and say that yes, an 18 foot shot is a bad shot. I don't care who is taking it either. It was a bad shot 25 years ago when Pitino was coach. It's a bad shot today.

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
EJ's game reminds me of someone like Taj Gibson at the NBA level. Someone who can hit the mid range and go into the post if need be. All of Cal's bigs need to perfect the little hook shot like Towns had. That is nearly unguardable in the post. Not sure why we don't see it more in the college game.

Huh? News to me...where you hear that? EJ is a PF, when he fills out and regains his legs I see him being a beast next season. he may still figure it out this season, but expect him to return and dominate as a sophomore

ADVERTISEMENT