ADVERTISEMENT

Eight shot including 6 police officers in Allen City KY stand off. Two of the officers are dead.

25 is too old, gramps, but raising the age of majority across the board to 21 is good to me. Let kids get driving permits at 18 and everything else kicks in at 21 (voting, ability to purchase guns and booze, etc).

-i chose 25 for a reason*, hank. It's the correct age...assuming we actually want to make a difference. 21 would be better than 18...but 25 is the age.

*By that age serious psychological problems have usually manifested if they're "in there".

-i chose 25 for a reason*, hank. It's the correct age...assuming we actually want to make a difference. 21 would be better than 18...but 25 is the age.

*By that age serious psychological problems have usually manifested if they're "in there".

Agree to disagree. If person can go to war then they fully deserve the right to purchase a firearm.

I'm too aware of schizophrenia, sadly. Had a great aunt who taped her cupboards shut when she left her housing complex apartment and would regularly throw out the food provided because she was convinced it had snakes, poison, or whatever in it. She was (so I'm told), a lovely and functioning young adult until about 22 or so.

That's also not a huge subset of the population and it is entirely illogical to support 18 year olds in the military but not support civilians being adults until 25.

-not illogical at all, hank. military folks are trained/under constant supervision...and most importantly subjected to regular psychological evaluations.

-I'm pro gun. I lean hard right on nearly all non weed/bedroom issues.

-raising the age to 25 *will* mitigate mass shootings. Especially school shootings...which should be the goal for gun rights folks(myself included) and honest* left wing folks.

*the 2nd isn't going anywhere (thankfully) and confiscation will *never* happen...this is realistic and effective compromise. It's a no brainer.

Reactions: parrott
I'm too aware of schizophrenia, sadly. Had a great aunt who taped her cupboards shut when she left her housing complex apartment and would regularly throw out the food provided because she was convinced it had snakes, poison, or whatever in it. She was (so I'm told), a lovely and functioning young adult until about 22 or so.

That's also not a huge subset of the population and it is entirely illogical to support 18 year olds in the military but not support civilians being adults until 25.

-it's not a huge subset...but it's the one doing the shooting.

Schizophrenia is a nightmare. All dementia is really.

My mom right before she died was convinced the doctors were poisoning her. Threatened to kick me out of the house if I didn’t take her home, and called a home health nurse who helped me get her readmitted for the third time in a month a “b%#$%”. Now my mom had cursed before, but to see her look at someone dead in the eye and say that hurt. And that wasn’t schizophrenia, that was just delusion from brain swelling.

But schizophrenia is wild. It’s both interesting, fascinating and scary. The ability of the mind to do that is beyond fascinating. But some of those simulators are terrifying. Watching TV programs talk to you? Seeing objects boil? The voices? My God. It’s heart breaking. And sadly the side effects of some of the medication is so debilitating.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
-raising the age to 25 *will* mitigate mass shootings. Especially school shootings...which should be the goal for gun rights folks(myself included) and honest* left wing folks.

*the 2nd isn't going anywhere (thankfully) and confiscation will *never* happen...this is realistic and effective compromise. It's a no brainer.
I am sure it would help but there will always be outliers. My daughter teaches in Memphis and about 3 miles from her school an 8th grade kid was driven to school by his parent, who waited outside the school for him to go into the school and shoot a 6th grade kid he had a beef with, then they drove away. I am sure the 13 year old kid got his weapon from the parent who was over 25. So as you said it might mitigate the number of school shootings but nothing will eliminate it I am afraid.

-I don't disagree at all with you guys..."stop" is a politicians word. it is impossible to completely stop these things, all we can do is mitigate.

Of course, hell, Cain murdered Abel, but we don't have to make the means to kill dozens at once easily accessible to anyone with a few hundred bucks in their pocket and an axe to grind.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
-yep...but we can't snap our fingers and make firearms disappear. It's cliche (and I hate bumper sticker quips)...but there were laws in place that *should* have stopped the highland park shooter. The state failed to enforce them.

^raising the age to purchase would've stopped the highland shooting...and *most* school shootings, the gabby Gifford shooting and the batman shooting in Colorado...that's just off the top of my head.

-we can lament/beat our breast about a bunch of stuff that will never change because it is cathartic? or it makes us feel righteous...**or** we can do things that actually address the issue: raising the age to 25 will make a hell of a positive impact.

The article below is an interesting read about the number of young "mass shooters" now compared to the past. I find it interesting that from 1949-2017 only 2 of the 30 deadliest mass shooting involved gunmen under 21 with one being Columbine and the other Sandy Hook. Since then 6 of the 9 have deadliest have been under the age of 21. The article goes on to insinuate that it could be due to online bullying and the need of those being bullied to show they have power and are not "on the bottom". It also mentions what a lot of people say that violent first person shooter games could be contributing as well.

Story here

-yep...but we can't snap our fingers and make firearms disappear. It's cliche (and I hate bumper sticker quips)...but there were laws in place that *should* have stopped the highland park shooter. The state failed to enforce them.

^raising the age to purchase would've stopped the highland shooting...and *most* school shootings, the gabby Gifford shooting and the batman shooting in Colorado...that's just off the top of my head.

-we can lament/beat our breast about a bunch of stuff that will never change because it is cathartic? or it makes us feel righteous...**or** we can do things that actually address the issue: raising the age to 25 will make a hell of a positive impact.
Yeah....all these gang members and demented people will surely abide by a law like that.

Let's not address the real issues in Chicago at all. Good grief.

Are you also for lowering the voting age to 16 like dems want?

You had dems running for office on a defund the police mantra. Chicago is a war zone and nothing is being done about it. Literally nothing. The Mayor there shouldn't bein charge of a lemonade stand, let alone one of the largest cities in the world that has a murder rate like a 3rd world country.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
-listen, i shouldn't have to repeat this but i will in an attempt to edify: I'm talking about school shootings and non "crime related" mass shootings **specifically**...in the majority of these the perp is <25 years old and acquired the weapon lawfully. I dgaf about "CHICAGo11!!!" or whatever you're blathering on about. It is not germane to the topic at hand.

-gang violence is sad...and if you'd paid attention I typed something to the effect of "we can't stop only mitigate" multiple times in this very thread.

^what we can do is work to prevent what we can...and in most school shootings (and others I've listed in this thread) raising the age of purchase would've saved lives.

-why 25? Schizophrenia et al do not "surface" until the early 20s. The human brain doesn't fully develop until then.

-not anti gun at all. I carry and I hunt. I vote accordingly.

-re voting age...if you'd read further in my posts you would've seen me say I'd *love* to raise the voting age to 25...instead you went on a non-sequitur rant about gang bangers or some bullshit. Get yourself together, man.

-listen, i shouldn't have to repeat this but i will in an attempt to edify: I'm talking about school shootings and non "crime related" mass shootings **specifically**...in the majority of these the perp is <25 years old and acquired the weapon lawfully. I dgaf about "CHICAGo11!!!" or whatever you're blathering on about. It is not germane to the topic at hand.

-gang violence is sad...and if you'd paid attention I typed something to the effect of "we can't stop only mitigate" multiple times in this very thread.

^what we can do is work to prevent what we can...and in most school shootings (and others I've listed in this thread) raising the age of purchase would've saved lives.

-why 25? Schizophrenia et al do not "surface" until the early 20s. The human brain doesn't fully develop until then.

-not anti gun at all. I carry and I hunt. I vote accordingly.

-re voting age...if you'd read further in my posts you would've seen me say I'd *love* to raise the voting age to 25...instead you went on a non-sequitur rant about gang bangers or some bullshit. Get yourself together, man.
You seem a little unhinged....you must be under 25. Get help soon

They should have executed him on the spot but the way he surrendered it was impossible to do and he knew that IMO but at least they got a few shots in on his face before they got him inside the car 🍺🇺🇸

Reactions: Cawood86
You should reread what you wrote. It could certainly be read as "I only care about mass shootings that could effect my white family."

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of exploring why a disturbing amount of young men are nihilistic and so devoid of skill and optimism that they resort to annihilation, fine. But you yourself just admitted that your prescription would only work to fix a problem that might conceivably effect you or your family -- i.e., the classical Columbine-style lunatic.

You live in Lexington. There's a drug war going on and young black men are killing each other in record droves. If I could fix one of two problems and those two problems are (1) the national problem of mass shootings that are covered intensely by media or (2) the local problem of predominantly young black kids in Lexington shooting each other, I'm picking fixing number 2 and raising the age of legal firearm purchase to 25 won't do shit to stop problem number 2.

Number 2 barely even gets a headline though, so why discuss it I guess.

• Love
Reactions: Cawood86
-bullshit, hank..."RaSCIst", that's weak as ****, counselor. Red herring , iirc.

-because you can't fix every aspect of a problem...you neglect to do anything about the areas of the problem that can be helped? Again...that is odd thinking.

^broad stroke approach rarely works on anything...yet politicians and apparently you(that makes me sad) think that's the only option...why?.

-raising the age to.25 would help to reduce mass shootings, period.

-bullshit, hank..."RaSCIst", that's weak as ****, counselor. Red herring , iirc.

-because you can't fix every aspect of a problem...you neglect to do anything about the areas of the problem that can be helped? Again...that is odd thinking.

^broad stroke approach rarely works on anything...yet politicians and apparently you(that makes me sad) think that's the only option...why?.

-raising the age to.25 would help to reduce mass shootings, period.
It won't do anything. But you feel better saying it will, and that's really all that matters.

If these folks in chrage really cared they would stop villifying the 2A and the police.

Guns are not the issue. Family deconstruction that was started years ago has played a major part in this.

You think the gangs in Chicago worry about laws on guns? If the Mayor or the Governor of that state really cared there are measures they could take to start eradicating these gangs. Instead they are worried a SCOTUS ruling and being woke. Meanwhile people arw dying while they play politics.

Spare me your righteous indignation and meaningless measure.

-again...why are you talking about chicago?? Holy crap you're dense.

-I'm pro 2a, most police are good.

^I'm not arguing against any of that shit..not sure why the hell you're bringing it up.

-note: it is possible to discuss/address *specific* parts of problems...this isn't facebook.

I have absolutely no idea who Rudd is talking to as it’s someone I have on ignore but just reading one person insulting what sound like dumb points is very entertaining

Reactions: J_Dee and rudd1
-again...why are you talking about chicago?? Holy crap you're dense.

-I'm pro 2a, most police are good.

^I'm not arguing against any of that shit..not sure why the hell you're bringing it up.

-note: it is possible to discuss/address *specific* parts of problems...this isn't facebook.
Chicago is in the news daily, or should be for the killing field it has turned into.

It is the most recent shooting that has occured. That is why am mentioning it.

You can't seem to respond without personal attack. Which means you have no response.

Plenty of ways to address these issues. None of them are being tried. Poor parenting was a huge contributor to this young man becoming a murderer.

His parents should be in hail as well. Nobody wants to touch that. Research some on him.

They all just blame guns. Weak and cowardly. Daise the age as high as tou want, won't matter. His dad helped him get the guns. Yet, nothing is being do e to him that I have heard. He is complicit and should be charged accordingly.

You're just going on about an age requirement that will do little to nothing.

I have absolutely no idea who Rudd is talking to as it’s someone I have on ignore but just reading one person insulting what sound like dumb points is very entertaining
Sounds about right. You must be a "journalist" then.

Just take one point without knowing more and go with it. You'll be on TV in no time.

-the discussion had quite obviously moved to the the suburban Chicago shooting...but yes you are correct the dirtbag in Floyd County was in fact 49. Thanks.
Ahh....so you were discussing Chicago. Hmmm, seems hypocrisy is strong with you.

The weirdo in the Highland park shooting had his family call the Police on him in 2019 because he threatened to kill them all. The police removed 19 swords, daggers, knives. Then a year later he was threatening suicide and the police was called. After all these red flags he was able to go out and buy 5 guns
His dad helped him.

-personal attacks? Lmao...don't be soft. Dense was the *nicest* possible descriptor I could summon.

EDIT: just realized I may have been using some words that are well above your lexile level. You may have been confused and assumed those words were "personal attacks". Apologies. **

**that was a personal attack.

-keep yelling at clouds, cawood86. Godspeed.

Last edited:
So you are opposed to laws prohibiting the Highland Park shooter from buying a gun, but you believe that the shooter's father should be jailed for helping him buy a gun? Where is the logic in that? Or is is pointless to talk about that because of gang violence with guns in inner-city Chicago?

Reactions: GeraldV
So you are opposed to laws prohibiting the Highland Park shooter from buying a gun, but you believe that the shooter's father should be jailed for helping him buy a gun? Where is the logic in that? Or is is pointless to talk about that because of gang violence with guns in inner-city Chicago?
The Highland Park shooters father helped him obtain the weapon, so unfortunately nothing would have stopped him unless his father was flagged as well. Sounds like his dad had to submit a questionnaire for him stating he had no mental issues and no other issues that should prevent him from purchasing a weapon even though he had attempted suicide and had law enforcement called for threatening to kill his whole family. If a person lives in your home, child or not, there has to be responsibility for things they do under your watch. That father needs to be punished severely for his indiscretion.

So any punishment for the law enforcement that approved the gun license? Only the father gets in trouble but they knew just as much about him as the father that should have disqualified him.

Btw , the father helped him get the permit, not the specific weapon used in the shooting.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get in trouble, but there were plenty of negligence all along the way that allowed him to get the guns. I know people that have been in psych hospitals for a few weeks for threats against themselves and others . They have no issues buying guns.

Reactions: rudd1
That's kind of how I feel whenever PTI mercilessly goes after Chief Incel in GYERO after I finally put that guy on ignore. Sort of a fun easter egg, really.

Lots of jokes in this thread, about a horrific situation — but very little conversation about the gun problem in our country. Kind of sums things up.

• Sad
Reactions: J_Dee
The weirdo in the Highland park shooting had his family call the Police on him in 2019 because he threatened to kill them all. The police removed 19 swords, daggers, knives. Then a year later he was threatening suicide and the police was called. After all these red flags he was able to go out and buy 5 guns
America.

The Highland Park shooters father helped him obtain the weapon, so unfortunately nothing would have stopped him unless his father was flagged as well. Sounds like his dad had to submit a questionnaire for him stating he had no mental issues and no other issues that should prevent him from purchasing a weapon even though he had attempted suicide and had law enforcement called for threatening to kill his whole family. If a person lives in your home, child or not, there has to be responsibility for things they do under your watch. That father needs to be punished severely for his indiscretion.

Where I work my wife and kids can't own stock in certain companies due to perceived conflicts of interest. This is not a company rule, it's enforced by the US government. My point of bringing this up is, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE GOVERNMENT ALLOW THE FATHER TO VOUCH FOR THE KID in terms of proof he's mentally fit to buy a high-powered rifle?

Where I work my wife and kids can't own stock in certain companies due to perceived conflicts of interest. This is not a company rule, it's enforced by the US government. My point of bringing this up is, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE GOVERNMENT ALLOW THE FATHER TO VOUCH FOR THE KID in terms of proof he's mentally fit to buy a high-powered rifle?
This is the chicken tikka marsala pizza of arguments -- mismatched and trying way too hard.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
This is the chicken tikka marsala pizza of arguments -- mismatched and trying way too hard.
That's not a mismatch. It's ridiculous to not see how dumb this is.

The US Government:
1) I don't trust your wife enough to not be shady with insider info, therefore she can't own $1,000 of ExxonMobil stock.
2) I do trust you to vouch for your tattoo'd up son who threatened to kill your entire family and makes videos about shooting up schools; sure, he can have an AR-15.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
The “welp, nothing we can do!!” people that keep talking as more and more mass shootings happen EVERY SINGLE WEEK keep sounding more insane and delusional themselves. What a bizarre and out of touch take that seems as time goes by

-correct...and Illinois has "red flag laws" in place and law enforcement was "aware" of the suspect. Massive failure by the government in this case.
That’s why I, and the rest of the 92% of Americans that are for universal background checks, are for them. If you have a history like he has, you should not be able to purchase a weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT