ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Gran

plumdog69

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 13, 2006
Carved out a niche for this program. Was unfairly criticized for having to adapt style to injuries. I like Cohen, seems like a nice guy, but frankly he was brought in to recruit quarterbacks and receivers. It has taken a couple years but now this team has no identity at all. This offense is a joke.

Carved out a niche for this program. Was unfairly criticized for having to adapt style to injuries. I like Cohen, seems like a nice guy, but frankly he was brought in to recruit quarterbacks and receivers. It has taken a couple years but now this team has no identity at all. This offense is a joke.

Tennessee and Mizzu have changed coaches is one of the biggest differences. We are still beating Florida, but those other two have likely upgraded. Losing our line coach has probably been the biggest downfall. We wasn't going to keep running our way to big seasons against today's offenses. Skill position recruiting had also tanked .

I'm not sure this pro style attack is the answer either though. You need a pretty good QB to play this way that can complete some deeper throws. Leary just not good with those, and I've not seen too many less talented teams have sustained success trying to play the college game with this style. It is a clock melt system and our head coach has to love that.

LC dipping back over to LA essentially negated everything he got rolling his first year here.

This should be year 3 for him, but really, it's a restart and we have to kind of look at it like year one. No Levis, C-Rod, or really any of that crew. Lost a lot of momentum with recruiting and developing guys within his system.

Can't really fault him for Leary not panning out. We saw what an LC offense can do with a healthy talented QB.

At this point, I think our record would've been about the same with Sherron playing QB and he'd be returning next year with a season under his belt.

Is what it is. Not every portal player is going to toss bombs and end up starting for the Titans.

That's not a knock-on Leary. Brand new team after 4 years somewhere, recovering from injury, OC having to come in and clean house, start from scratch again.

Unless the portal QB is special I think you have to error on the side of playing a kid that's been in the program for a couple years, at the very least has chemistry with the team, isn't recovering from injury, and if it's a rocky year he at least returns next season with some experience.

Reactions: RunninRichie
LC dipping back over to LA essentially negated everything he got rolling his first year here.

This should be year 3 for him, but really, it's a restart and we have to kind of look at it like year one. No Levis, C-Rod, or really any of that crew. Lost a lot of momentum with recruiting and developing guys within his system.

Can't really fault him for Leary not panning out. We saw what an LC offense can do with a healthy talented QB.

At this point, I think our record would've been about the same with Sherron playing QB and he'd be returning next year with a season under his belt.

Is what it is. Not every portal player is going to toss bombs and end up starting for the Titans.

That's not a knock-on Leary. Brand new team after 4 years somewhere, recovering from injury, OC having to come in and clean house, start from scratch again.

Unless the portal QB is special I think you have to error on the side of playing a kid that's been in the program for a couple years, at the very least has chemistry with the team, isn't recovering from injury, and if it's a rocky year he at least returns next season with some experience.
We had a QB the previous two years that could make every throw. Scang and Yenser did a terrible job with that kind of talent..

Gran's time here showed that he could adjust his offense to just about any kind of roster disaster. That is the mark of an excellent offensive coordinator. He ran an excellent, high powered, offense at Cincinnati. I still wonder how much of Gran's failings are due to Stoops interference.

Coen might have something, but so far he hasn't shown much ability to adapt to his current roster situation. Leary was brought in a heralded QB who could thread the tiniest needle, but everyone knew he was a gamble after the injury he took at NCST. We lost on that one. Leary will never be the same QB he was. The injury was too severe. Sharon is evidently terrible, so we are stuck.

Will Coen do better with a QB who has a couple of years to learn the system? Who knows, but the rotating door at OC is kinda suspect.

I like Leary actually. I think the system stinks …. I do think he has a problem seeing the middle of the field. He has great arm. Most of the problems are as I see it, this team can’t get the play In and can’t get lined up….We cant pass block at all. Our receiver are miles overrated, they look like high schoolers out there…..they spent the year trying to feed them, in hind site the TEs should be the first option. If it’s possible the Defense is worse. The LBS Make no plays at all and the D line puts no pressure on the passer.ITS at least possible Grans style helped develop our offensive line.

Last edited:
Cohen lol

Reactions: UKat1
The tempo running game and the read option is my idea. Not that it matters.😀

The tempo running game and the read option is my idea. Not that it matters.😀

We had that. Fans started whining that it wasn't exciting enough. So we ditched an OC and system that won many games we shouldve lost and kept close many otherwise would be blowouts.

We absolutely got an upgrade with coen, but he has to stop trying to show off. Get back to the physical OL and inside zone. Stop being obsessed over deep routes and take what the defense gives you.

We had that. Fans started whining that it wasn't exciting enough. So we ditched an OC and system that won many games we shouldve lost and kept close many otherwise would be blowouts.

We absolutely got an upgrade with coen, but he has to stop trying to show off. Get back to the physical OL and inside zone. Stop being obsessed over deep routes and take what the defense gives you.
We had one of the worst scoring offenses in the SEC then. Mizzu, UT, USCjr, Florida, and Vandy all down. UT and Mizzu have gotten better. We could steal three wins from that group in our better years.

We had one of the worst scoring offenses in the SEC then. Mizzu, UT, USCjr, Florida, and Vandy all down. UT and Mizzu have gotten better. We could steal three wins from that group in our better years.

Case in point. Fans crying over points and excitement.

We won games we should've won. We won games we shouldn't have won. We kept close games when we should've been blown out. Look when we played bama away in an early stoops year. Bama was way better, we were way worse; and we still hung with them much of the game.

Passing the ball is exciting until you're going three and out and the defense is exhausted all game.

Reactions: plumdog69
Tennessee and Mizzu have changed coaches is one of the biggest differences. We are still beating Florida, but those other two have likely upgraded. Losing our line coach has probably been the biggest downfall. We wasn't going to keep running our way to big seasons against today's offenses. Skill position recruiting had also tanked .

I'm not sure this pro style attack is the answer either though. You need a pretty good QB to play this way that can complete some deeper throws. Leary just not good with those, and I've not seen too many less talented teams have sustained success trying to play the college game with this style. It is a clock melt system and our head coach has to love that.
You need a PRO-line to play that style.

Realistically, what is his legitimate play-calling experience ?? He did not call plays for the Rams ...

Coen is a super bright guy that has great concepts and calls great stuff. Problem is he needs guys to fit his system and he isn't used to the talent gap in college.

Then he overthinks things often. Just today on goal line we used shotgun and ran toss when we saw toss a few series earlier go for a 4 yard loss. No way you go back to that in a crucial situation.

The other example of overthinking is all the shifts. Motion is great but shifts waste time. On the 4th down, we shifted just to throw a stick route to a te that was covered (everyone was covered) That was a zone beater against a team that plays almost exclusively man.

Our entire system needs overhauled back to inside zone. We have pipelines to massive earth moving OL vs having to compete with everyone for outside zone OL. Coen can adjust, we saw it before.

Oh and stop the shifts. It's too burdensome in time and in calling the play and it adds nothing

Tenn is on like their 5th coach in the last 10 years. Lol

Stop with making up a narrative Eddie Gran was better than he got credit for. He was OC for 5 years.....Wandale was never coming here if Gran wasn't fired, instead of Levis it would have been Gatewood/Beau Allen and WR would be blockers. He was decent at his peak and was trending worse and worse.

UK is 30pts a game for 53rd this season. Uk was 32 pts a game for 35th in 2021. UK was 19pts a game and 108 in 2020 (Gran final year). THe year before that was the Bowden year which was cool to run QB but ultimately was Gran awful QB development and could not beat good teams with that concept. So I won't try to make up a narrative that Eddie would have been better to keep him...he was a poor OC at the end and rightfully so to move off from him.

As far as Coen, bigblueinsanity has a point....he's way too NFL-ish with so much shotgun and horizontal plays when we need a yard or two. We need to ditch this outside zone nonsense and just live with inside zone run and coach up QBs to throw in that scheme even if makes play action dissipate. He's not coached up the QBs this year IMO....taking way too many sacks and nto getting ball out of hands quicker. Forcing Barion has been all year and simply put...Barion doesn't produce. Another fumble in this game. On the Int....he rounded off an out route and DB just undercut it. Bad scheme to not just throw a ton more to TE all year and hit middle field to with Tayvion/Key. Tons of lower percentage throws outside the numbers when just about every team works the middle just fine.

Coen is a super bright guy that has great concepts and calls great stuff. Problem is he needs guys to fit his system and he isn't used to the talent gap in college.

Then he overthinks things often. Just today on goal line we used shotgun and ran toss when we saw toss a few series earlier go for a 4 yard loss. No way you go back to that in a crucial situation.

The other example of overthinking is all the shifts. Motion is great but shifts waste time. On the 4th down, we shifted just to throw a stick route to a te that was covered (everyone was covered) That was a zone beater against a team that plays almost exclusively man.

Our entire system needs overhauled back to inside zone. We have pipelines to massive earth moving OL vs having to compete with everyone for outside zone OL. Coen can adjust, we saw it before.

Oh and stop the shifts. It's too burdensome in time and in calling the play and it adds nothing
Yes!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The plays were there , just didn’t execute. Watch Van Hiles breakdowns on twitter. Had an obvious TD to the tight end and Leary threw it to the other side of the field. He had a few 20 yard gains if he throws underneath/middle route than forcing out route.

The plays were there , just didn’t execute. Watch Van Hiles breakdowns on twitter. Had an obvious TD to the tight end and Leary threw it to the other side of the field. He had a few 20 yard gains if he throws underneath/middle route than forcing out route.

An intense pass rush causes that even with a guy like Leary who rarely misses any read. LT was owned in several plays not really giving anything a chance. Yet we never ran a single draw, screen, or shovel to slow it down and take advantage of their pass rush

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT