ADVERTISEMENT

Injury University

Skyguyb27

Junior
Feb 12, 2008
Like many of you I am tired of the constant injuries UK has. I think I heard from the Mitch statement UK hasn’t had a full healthy roster all year? It sure seems like injuries are more prevalent at UK than most places. Has anyone ever actually took the time to look into this? Is there any merit to UK has an issue with this or Cal uses injury as an excuse to hide other problems? I was wondering if there is any real tangible evidence or just a feeling as fans we get.

Like many of you I am tired of the constant injuries UK has. I think I heard from the Mitch statement UK hasn’t had a full healthy roster all year? It sure seems like injuries are more prevalent at UK than most places. Has anyone ever actually took the time to look into this? Is there any merit to UK has an issue with this or Cal uses injury as an excuse to hide other problems? I was wondering if there is any real tangible evidence or just a feeling as fans we get.
We think that because we know everytime any of our players are injured. When the 5th-9th man is put for other teams we never know about it unless we are playing then. That's why it seems that way. Injuries happen everywhere.

We think that because we know everytime any of our players are injured. When the 5th-9th man is put for other teams we never know about it unless we are playing then. That's why it seems that way. Injuries happen everywhere.
I agree it happens, these guys push themselves so hard. But it’s almost March and not a game played with a complete roster due to so many injuries seems extreme.

I mostly agree, but it’s crazy that no one has a season ending injury and we still haven’t played a game with the full roster.

I grew up in an era where people didn’t miss games unless their limbs were falling off.

Jeff Sheppard suffered a high ankle sprain in ‘98 that barely slowed him down en route to SEC and NCAA titles.

The load management era has hampered the quality of the the game, imo. Started in the NBA, and has trickled down to college, despite guys only playing twice a week.

Reactions: ruppcat
I grew up in an era where people didn’t miss games unless their limbs were falling off.

Jeff Sheppard suffered a high ankle sprain in ‘98 that barely slowed him down en route to SEC and NCAA titles.

The load management era has hampered the quality of the the game, imo. Started in the NBA, and has trickled down to college, despite guys only playing twice a week.
I wonder just how many promising careers were cut short throughout history by players playing hurt, playing when they shouldn’t have been? I suspect this is part of what happened to Ulis’s NBA career. He was playing pretty hurt here at UK towards the end. He was begging to play quite well in the NBA and then he was hurt badly enough he never got another shot.

Reactions: Zissou87
I think the issue is a number of things really.

Athletes today are in many ways protected bc we are aware of more than ever before. Injuries back in the day, that were treated with rub some dirt on it mentality, are treated differently today. Players are protected at all costs. Long term health has overtaken playing hurt to help the team. 20 years ago Keith Bogans limped around to try and help his team get to a final 4. Today, he would be shelved for 4-6 weeks with no chance of playing. Furthermore, coaches protect like never before for fear of being labeled a certain way. The Bobby Knight era of coaching is over and the Stuart Smalley positive self help era is in full swing. No coach wants to be viewed as playing a guy hurt. The NBA has become a joke of load management and resting guys so they don’t get overworked. That mentality creeps down to this generation and they are ok with sitting out bc the pros do it. That’s ultimately what they see themselves being and the climate invites it.

Now roll all of that together with THIS head coach???

That’s why dudes sit. Some injuries probably aren’t that bad but Cal will protect at all costs. I think in a way he enjoys it bc he sure mentions it after bad losses. It’s like a built in excuse for a coach who is currently massively underperforming.

A perfect storm. Some hurt… some hurt a little… some could play… some couldn’t… none of it matters.

Cal is ALWAYS going to sit guys… been doing it for years.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I can't speak for other programs, but IMO, our staff takes an overly cautious approach to injuries. I don't disagree with the logic. But I, and just about everyone, sure hate it on game day. A lot of the frustration and circus is fan driven, but that's because Cal has created reasonable doubt with not being transparent (at least enough in our opinions) and due to a history of players refusing to play.

Anyway, everyone has injuries. We're very cautious as a staff, and I also think we're seeing some degree of a 'load management' mentality trickling down from the NBA.

I wonder just how many promising careers were cut short throughout history by players playing hurt, playing when they shouldn’t have been? I suspect this is part of what happened to Ulis’s NBA career. He was playing pretty hurt here at UK towards the end. He was begging to play quite well in the NBA and then he was hurt badly enough he never got another shot.
Some, maybe. But the product is garbage now.

Larry Bird’s career was probably cut short by playing injured. Think he would trade his rings and MVPs for more rest days if he could?

There are times I can barely stand up out of a chair. That’s all due to basketball, basically. But I don’t regret it, because I loved playing.

And I wasn’t playing for any stakes, really.

Some, maybe. But the product is garbage now.

Larry Bird’s career was probably cut short by playing injured. Think he would trade his rings and MVPs for more rest days if he could?

There are times I can barely stand up out of a chair. That’s all due to basketball, basically. But I don’t regret it, because I loved playing.

And I wasn’t playing for any stakes, really.
I am on the opposite side of this. I can’t say which side is correct. Depends on personality and perspective. I played hockey and I rollerbladed a lot. I would absolutely go back and not abuse my body as much.

Not playing with full roster "all year" isn't injury related. 50% of that was Z inelligibility.

He didn't do all that for regular season games. And it very much slowed him down for the SEC tournament. He missed the SEC championship game. He admits he wasn't hurt bad and worked through the ncaa tourney games we didn't need him in.

Delk, Chapman, Derek Anderson all missed games. Rightfully. PJ put on gutsy effort in 2019. Derek willis came back in time for SEC Tourney. Mintz played all year with plantar fascitis. Players aren't gutting it out any less today than"back in the good old days"

Not playing with full roster "all year" isn't injury related. 50% of that was Z inelligibility.

He didn't do all that for regular season games. And it very much slowed him down for the SEC tournament. He missed the SEC championship game. He admits he wasn't hurt bad and worked through the ncaa tourney games we didn't need him in.

Delk, Chapman, Derek Anderson all missed games. Rightfully. PJ put on gutsy effort in 2019. Derek willis came back in time for SEC Tourney. Mintz played all year with plantar fascitis. Players aren't gutting it out any less today than"back in the good old days"
They 100% are gutting it out less than they used to. Are you serious? It’s practically an epidemic.

I am on the opposite side of this. I can’t say which side is correct. Depends on personality and perspective. I played hockey and I rollerbladed a lot. I would absolutely go back and not abuse my body as much.
Fair enough

I agree it happens, these guys push themselves so hard. But it’s almost March and not a game played with a complete roster due to so many injuries seems extreme.
This is true as well. Like Aike said these guys don't play through injuries like they did in the past. NBA created this culture with load management etc. And it's trickled down to college and even high school and AAU.

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT