ADVERTISEMENT

Early look at 2019..

Apr 9, 2016
A very early look at the 2019 season, and who will/could be playing for the Cats.
Returning... TJ Collette, R Shinn, R Johnson, A Rod, B Combs, C Hill, C Kessler, Z Lewis, M Gei.
Pitchers... Z Thompson, C Coleman, D Harper, J Ramsey, M Hazelwood, B Marshall, A McGeorge, C Bringhurst, T Lockhart.
Sat out 2018.... T Bennett, B Dobzanski, S Harbert ( Delaware POY ), G Hastings (speed), T Johnson (C-OF), B Jordan (Highly Ranked HS), G Macciocchi (2-way player)
May be back.... B Aklinski, T Dawson, C Machamer, A Miller, T Black
These are the likely cast members for next season, along of course with the incoming Freshmen and Jucos. 2019 could find the Cats back in the post season, and we know playing in a new Baseball palace.

Looking at the list of returnees, some solid players will be back. Thompson, Collette, Coleman, Shinn, Johnson, Harper, Ramsey etc.
IF we get Machamer, Aklinski, and Dawson back, we could be pretty solid next season. As far as Black and Miller, I think Black would help us a lot, and Miller as well. Strange Miller was drafted, coming off arm surgery and sitting out this season due to transferring.
We seem to specialize in getting pitchers who have had arm surgery ie. Ben Jordan, and Brad Dobzinski. This is a High risk-High reward kind of thing.
As far as scheduling, I know we return a trip to Texas Tech, and we play 2 against Louisville, and always play Indiana, WKU, Murray St., and usually Morehead and or EKU, Xavier and so on.
I would load up on as many home games as possible, since we will need wins to get to the NCAA's, and SOS doesn't mean as much as wins and SEC wins. All in all, 2019 should be a wild ride, hopefully a good ride, and return the Cats to the post season.

Looking at the list of returnees, some solid players will be back. Thompson, Collette, Coleman, Shinn, Johnson, Harper, Ramsey etc.
IF we get Machamer, Aklinski, and Dawson back, we could be pretty solid next season. As far as Black and Miller, I think Black would help us a lot, and Miller as well. Strange Miller was drafted, coming off arm surgery and sitting out this season due to transferring.
We seem to specialize in getting pitchers who have had arm surgery ie. Ben Jordan, and Brad Dobzinski. This is a High risk-High reward kind of thing.
As far as scheduling, I know we return a trip to Texas Tech, and we play 2 against Louisville, and always play Indiana, WKU, Murray St., and usually Morehead and or EKU, Xavier and so on.
I would load up on as many home games as possible, since we will need wins to get to the NCAA's, and SOS doesn't mean as much as wins and SEC wins. All in all, 2019 should be a wild ride, hopefully a good ride, and return the Cats to the post season.
Of course these ( may be back guys) will be decided yea or nay in the next week or so. Agree with your point of scheduling, the SEC slate takes care of the SOS issues. Load up on winnable home games, get that W-L record looking better.

Last edited:
Yikes, I'm worried that next year could be ugly. I've been critical of Ming for this year's debacle, but admit that last year he took us further than we thought he would. Hopefully, next year will revert back to that...

Dawson was drafted in the 15th round, Machamer in the 16th round, and Aklinski in the 32nd round. They aren't getting guaranteed signing bonuses. How much do you get to sign in those rounds? I know that it gets you started in the minor leagues. I just don't know if it is that much better than the exposure in SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
Dawson was drafted in the 15th round, Machamer in the 16th round, and Aklinski in the 32nd round. They aren't getting guaranteed signing bonuses. How much do you get to sign in those rounds? I know that it gets you started in he minor leagues. I just don't know if it is that much better than the exposure in SEC.

It depends. If someone early doesn't sign then the team has a lot more money to throw at a later pick. So, even those drafted late can get some big money.

It depends. If someone early doesn't sign then the team has a lot more money to throw at a later pick. So, even those drafted late can get some big money.
I think Machamer and Aklinski can improve their draft status by coming back, Dawson maybe should go.

Dawson was drafted in the 15th round, Machamer in the 16th round, and Aklinski in the 32nd round. They aren't getting guaranteed signing bonuses. How much do you get to sign in those rounds? I know that it gets you started in the minor leagues. I just don't know if it is that much better than the exposure in SEC.
Slot money for those rounds is $125,000.

You will love watching Cam play defense. I hope he can hit at this level.

Well, he has started hot in Texas. He went 4 for 4 with another 3 stolen bases last night. Would be leading the league in batting average if he had enough at bats. He's second in stolen bases despite having played in just 3 games compared to other people playing in like 14.

Well, he has started hot in Texas. He went 4 for 4 with another 3 stolen bases last night. Would be leading the league in batting average if he had enough at bats. He's second in stolen bases despite having played in just 3 games compared to other people playing in like 14.
Wow, they cannot get him out, BTW he is hitting lead off for Txark.

I think a big part was just that Ben was ready to go. Might have improved his stock next year, but he was ready to move on and get paid something to play.

Slot value is $125,000. Since he had the leverage of returning to school, my guess is that he got that or more.

I don't think a 32nd round pick has too much leverage. Not trying to argue with you, but doubt he got 100K. Be interesting to know, because I have two teenage boys coming up, both are projected to play college baseball at some level. If that was my kid, I'd want him back in school just to finish his degree and perhaps improve his draft slot.

I don't think a 32nd round pick has too much leverage. Not trying to argue with you, but doubt he got 100K. Be interesting to know, because I have two teenage boys coming up, both are projected to play college baseball at some level. If that was my kid, I'd want him back in school just to finish his degree and perhaps improve his draft slot.

They have plenty of leverage. Teams often use late draft picks in an attempt to get guys who might be on the fence. They risk little and might throw a big number at them so they might sign a year, or 3, early.

The big deal is how much the Phillies can spend. The Phillies have a bonus pool of 9.3 million. This is typically applied to the first 10 rounds and if they exceed 9.3 million on their top 10 draft picks they will be penalized. However, if they are under 9.3million they can apply the savings to picks after the 10th round as a way to entice those players to come to school. Their first pick, Alec Bohm, took about 1 million less than what he was slotted to. So, the possibility is there that they can offer him more.

They have plenty of leverage. Teams often use late draft picks in an attempt to get guys who might be on the fence. They risk little and might throw a big number at them so they might sign a year, or 3, early.

The big deal is how much the Phillies can spend. The Phillies have a bonus pool of 9.3 million. This is typically applied to the first 10 rounds and if they exceed 9.3 million on their top 10 draft picks they will be penalized. However, if they are under 9.3million they can apply the savings to picks after the 10th round as a way to entice those players to come to school. Their first pick, Alec Bohm, took about 1 million less than what he was slotted to. So, the possibility is there that they can offer him more.

Thanks! I guess that makes more sense.

Turns out Aklinski signed for 100K.

UK played a series @UNC to start the 2017 season. I expected a return trip this year...maybe they pushed it to 2019 to open the new stadium?

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
UK played a series @UNC to start the 2017 season. I expected a return trip this year...maybe they pushed it to 2019 to open the new stadium?

Possible, but I thought that was like an emergency type situation. I could be making that up from my crazy imagination though...?

So.... let's play the guessing game (cause I'm bored).

CF: Cam Hill - This is the only one that I am pretty confident in. I think his speed will be too much to keep off of the field. Not to mention a solid bat, a plus glove, and from what I can tell, a solid arm.

RF: Breydon Daniels - He is either playing here or 1B. I am putting him here for now. Stick probably too big to keep off the field.

LF: Ryan Shinn - I was going to go with Shelby here, but I have heard reports that he injured his thumb and will be out for the fall. That being the case, I think that allows Shinny to get ahead of him and take LF.

1B: Dalton Reed - UK will have another Reed roaming around first base. They aren't related, but maybe this new Reed can show signs of being similar to AJ.

2B: Grant Macciocchi - Really excited about this kid. Solid bat with great speed. Also can pitch, but I think (and I could be wrong) that most of his future is here. I could also see Grant going to 3rd. I think we have a very good infield between Schultz, Mac, and Bennett and they might shuffle Mac third to get Bennett into the lineup.

SS: Austin Schultz - I think this kid is a hard worker with speed to burn. Could be a real asset at short. Thomas Bennett will also push hard for this spot.

3B: Elliot Curtis - This was a hard one to pick. ARod has struggled, so I don't think he gets the nod. Curtis did well in the Alaska league, so I am giving it to him.

C: Gei/Johnson - My heart wants Gei here, but he is going to have to put it all together. Staff might go with his experience with a relatively young pitching staff. Johnson also flashed the bat, and amazingly showed a lot of speed for a guy that plays behind the plate. Coltyn Kessler will also try to stake a claim here.

DH: TJ Collett - As long as he can keep those legs healthy he will be hitting. If not, there will be a lot of options based upon who might not be playing. Shinn if he gets beat out, etc.

Pitching:
Friday: Zack Thompson - Easiest pick ever.

Saturday - Jimmy Ramsey - The only righty that will be throwing in the weekend for UK. Ramsey was good at times last year, but struggled later. Needs to develop a bit more if he is going to lock down this spot. This spot is the only one on the weekend that is up for grabs, IMO. Trip Lockhart had a very solid summer and started in the PG League, so he could bounce up here. Daniel Harper also might stake a claim.

Sunday - Mason Hazelwood - This is weird to type. It has been a long time since someone not named Justin Lewis was wearing the Sunday black. I think Hazelwood gets handed the ball.

Closer: Carson Coleman - Needs to keep throwing strikes, but when he does he is just sick nasty. Aaron McGeorge might also stake a claim to this. Had a filthy summer. I think the job is Coleman's to lose, but McGeorge really showed me something with a 0.79 ERA in the PG league.

Ryan Johnson will be interesting to watch out of the bullpen. He dedicated his summer to becoming a pitcher and did all right in the Texas League with a 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings pitched. 6 appearances with 2 starts. 4 runs, 3 earned, on 5 hits. 5 walks and 9 strikeouts. 2-0. He throws hard, but no idea if he has developed anything to actually keep hitters off balance. He will be a great asset if he develops because he can also be a pinch hitter/runner.

Gambino, Cottongame, and Ayers were the only three freshmen drafted in 2018. I don't know how great they are, but I expect at least Cottongame to see time in 2019 because he is a lefty and UK will likely be short on those out of the bullpen.

There are also some question marks regarding the recovery of a few UK guys like Dobzanski. He could make a huge impact if healthy. Came in with a ton of accolades, but didn't pitch this summer and I am unsure what kind of trajectory he is on in his recovery. Ben Jordan is another one. Kid is 6 foot 9 and I am excited to see the big righty on the mound, but he also didn't pitch this summer and we will have to see how healthy that arm is. He also came in with a ton of accolades. Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these two pitching in the midweek if healthy.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree with all except the catcher position. Just not quite sure if Johnson will be in the running. Kessler did well in Texas as a catcher, his hitting was streaky, but he's a solid catcher. He and Hill really took on leadership roles down there. They have, I think 6 catchers? It's going to be an interesting race.
Hope TJ has recovered in time. I know someone mentioned he's on limited activity. Shelby won't be playing in the fall but with a hard and fast rehab he might make it back in time for opening. I think Schultz gets ss. Heard Ben Jordan threw 98, so sounds like he's fully recovered.
With 47 now in the locker room, some people have to go.

Reactions: parrott
I agree with all except the catcher position. Just not quite sure if Johnson will be in the running. Kessler did well in Texas as a catcher, his hitting was streaky, but he's a solid catcher. He and Hill really took on leadership roles down there. They have, I think 6 catchers? It's going to be an interesting race.
Hope TJ has recovered in time. I know someone mentioned he's on limited activity. Shelby won't be playing in the fall but with a hard and fast rehab he might make it back in time for opening. I think Schultz gets ss. Heard Ben Jordan threw 98, so sounds like he's fully recovered.
With 47 now in the locker room, some people have to go.

Thanks for the input. Not sure about catcher. So many possibilities there. Johnson did pretty solid in the perfect game league, but I don't know if he can show that in the SEC. Not sure about his arm and defense, but the fact that he stole 17 bases over the summer really shows that he has some speed. There is a lot of depth there, but hard to say who might emerge.

Jordan throwing 98 is just sick. Hopefully he stays healthy and we can use him this season, at least out of the bullpen. I think, despite losing a lot of guys, that we will have a strong pitching staff this year.

I see 23 on the Roster at UkAthletics.com. I see a recruiting class of 18. I see 6 juco players. Are all of them on campus?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your "guesses". Seems pretty thoughtful. I don't think I have anything to add or subtract from it. A lot of new names, but that's the way it is every year.

CF: Cam Hill - This is the only one that I am pretty confident in. I think his speed will be too much to keep off of the field. Not to mention a solid bat, a plus glove, and from what I can tell, a solid arm.

RF: Breydon Daniels - He is either playing here or 1B. I am putting him here for now. Stick probably too big to keep off the field.

LF: Ryan Shinn - I was going to go with Shelby here, but I have heard reports that he injured his thumb and will be out for the fall. That being the case, I think that allows Shinny to get ahead of him and take LF.

1B: Dalton Reed - UK will have another Reed roaming around first base. They aren't related, but maybe this new Reed can show signs of being similar to AJ.

2B: Grant Macciocchi - Really excited about this kid. Solid bat with great speed. Also can pitch, but I think (and I could be wrong) that most of his future is here. I could also see Grant going to 3rd. I think we have a very good infield between Schultz, Mac, and Bennett and they might shuffle Mac third to get Bennett into the lineup.

SS: Austin Schultz - I think this kid is a hard worker with speed to burn. Could be a real asset at short. Thomas Bennett will also push hard for this spot.

3B: Elliot Curtis - This was a hard one to pick. ARod has struggled, so I don't think he gets the nod. Curtis did well in the Alaska league, so I am giving it to him.

C: Gei/Johnson - My heart wants Gei here, but he is going to have to put it all together. Staff might go with his experience with a relatively young pitching staff. Johnson also flashed the bat, and amazingly showed a lot of speed for a guy that plays behind the plate. Coltyn Kessler will also try to stake a claim here.

DH: TJ Collett - As long as he can keep those legs healthy he will be hitting. If not, there will be a lot of options based upon who might not be playing. Shinn if he gets beat out, etc.

Pitching:
Friday: Zack Thompson - Easiest pick ever.

Saturday - Jimmy Ramsey - The only righty that will be throwing in the weekend for UK. Ramsey was good at times last year, but struggled later. Needs to develop a bit more if he is going to lock down this spot. This spot is the only one on the weekend that is up for grabs, IMO. Trip Lockhart had a very solid summer and started in the PG League, so he could bounce up here. Daniel Harper also might stake a claim.

Sunday - Mason Hazelwood - This is weird to type. It has been a long time since someone not named Justin Lewis was wearing the Sunday black. I think Hazelwood gets handed the ball.

Closer: Carson Coleman - Needs to keep throwing strikes, but when he does he is just sick nasty. Aaron McGeorge might also stake a claim to this. Had a filthy summer. I think the job is Coleman's to lose, but McGeorge really showed me something with a 0.79 ERA in the PG league.

Ryan Johnson will be interesting to watch out of the bullpen. He dedicated his summer to becoming a pitcher and did all right in the Texas League with a 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings pitched. 6 appearances with 2 starts. 4 runs, 3 earned, on 5 hits. 5 walks and 9 strikeouts. 2-0. He throws hard, but no idea if he has developed anything to actually keep hitters off balance. He will be a great asset if he develops because he can also be a pinch hitter/runner.

Gambino, Cottongame, and Ayers were the only three freshmen drafted in 2018. I don't know how great they are, but I expect at least Cottongame to see time in 2019 because he is a lefty and UK will likely be short on those out of the bullpen.

There are also some question marks regarding the recovery of a few UK guys like Dobzanski. He could make a huge impact if healthy. Came in with a ton of accolades, but didn't pitch this summer and I am unsure what kind of trajectory he is on in his recovery. Ben Jordan is another one. Kid is 6 foot 9 and I am excited to see the big righty on the mound, but he also didn't pitch this summer and we will have to see how healthy that arm is. He also came in with a ton of accolades. Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these two pitching in the midweek if healthy.

Thoughts?
Agree with your post for the most part, especially with Schultz, who just looks like a star in the making. Ramsey, who seems to have the tools, needs to show me more consistency. Like you hoping for a Big Year from M Gei, who has certainly waited for his chance !

Agree with your post for the most part, especially with Schultz, who just looks like a star in the making. Ramsey, who seems to have the tools, needs to show me more consistency. Like you hoping for a Big Year from M Gei, who has certainly waited for his chance !

Schultz needs to keep working though. Mentality is "I've got the job wrapped up". Don't be so sure. There are other players that can field that position.

Schultz needs to keep working though. Mentality is "I've got the job wrapped up". Don't be so sure. There are other players that can field that position.

That is definitely a dangerous mentality to have in September. I think that Akilinski developed a 'me first,' mentality part of the way through last year and we really saw his play take a hit because of it. Schultz is young, so hopefully he snaps out of that and keeps working hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT