ADVERTISEMENT

Early Look at Mich St

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
UK plays Mich State in the Champions Classic on Nov 15 in Indianapolis

Mich State is coming off a 23-13 and a 2nd round loss to Duke in the NCAA-T

Starters lost: 3
Gabe Brown 6-8 215 Forward (top scorer, 38% 3fg, 3.8reb)
Max Christie 6-6 190 Guard (#2 scorer)
Marcus Bingham 7-0 230 Center (#3 scorer, top rebounder)

Other key players lost: 1
Julius Marble 6-9 245 Center (transferred to TX A&M)

Probable Starters
G AJ Hoggard 6-4 210 Jr 7pts, 4.8ast, 22% from 3
G Tyson Walker 6-0 175 Sr 8.2pts, 4.2ast, 47% from 3
G Jaden Akins 6-4 180 So 3.4pts, 2.4reb 38% from 3
F Malik Hall 6-8 225 Sr 8.9pts, 4.6reb, 43% from 3
C Mady Sissiko 6-9 235 Jr 1pts, 1reb

Bench
F Joey Hauser 6-9 230 Sr 7.3pts, 5.3reb, 41% from 3
G/F Pierre Brooks 6-6 225 So (played sparingly last season)
C Jaxon Kohler 6-9 250 Fr
G Tre Holloman 6-2 175 Fr

2022-23 Outlook
According to various sources I've read, the off-season for Mich State went about as poorly as it could have gone. Gabe Brown and Marcus Bingham both had another year of eligibility remaining (due to Covid) but both decided to forgo the extra year and enter the NBA draft. To make matters worse, up and coming would-be sophomore guard Max Christie (who ended up as #2 in scoring on the season) decided to test the NBA waters as well and ended up signing with an agent, ending his eligibility. To add insult to injury, their presumed would-be starter at center, Julius Marble, decided to enter the transfer portal and ended up at TX A&M. (we'll see him later in the season)

Most prognosticators expect Mich State to be at best a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this season and possibly could end the 24 year streak for the Spartans making the NCAA-T. That streak is tied for the 3rd longest in NCAA men's basketball history and is the 2nd longest active streak. Izzo's teams aren't built for early departures and their 2 incoming freshmen aren't expected to be immediate impact guys. They lack dynamic scorers who can create for themselves on this team.

The backcourt looks to be in solid hands for the Spartans this season, as they return their top 2 in assists from last season (Hoggard and Walker). They also have a very potent 3pt shooting team returning, which features 4 players who shoot better than 38% from distance and 3 who shoot better than 40%. These guys will make open shots, so that is clearly a concern.

Having said this, the real issue for Izzo this season is at the center spot. He runs a traditional offense and wants to play inside-out most of the time. But losing Bingham and Marble at center leaves the Spartans turning to Mady Sissiko or true freshman Jaxon Kohler. Both have good size but Sissiko has not proven to be very reliable in his first 3 years and Kohler signed hoping to possibly redshirt this season. Izzo could go small and start senior forward Joey Hauser (I have a feeling he and Malik Hall will be on the floor together pretty often) but that seems unlikely.

Tom Izzo always seems to be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat when needed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that NCAA streak continue. However, in regard to the match-up with UK on November 15, I'd say the Spartans will struggle with Oscar down low (both defensively and offensively) and will not have many open threes to make up for their lack of interior scoring. Mich State will slow down the pace so the Cats won't likely hit 100 in this one, but I think UK wins.

Last edited:
They have one of their best recruiting classes ever coming in after this year. Izzo must have not liked how this off-season went
Yeah, word is that he decided not to fill out his roster using the transfer portal in order to help 2023 recruiting, and it has appeared to help boost that recruiting class. But the down side is that this current team may suffer the consequences.

Michigan State only has 10 scholarship players on the roster and 1 is expected to redshirt. That's pretty thin, especially for Izzo. He could have brought in 2 or 3 transfers, but decided to max out recruiting for next year.

Reactions: BBUK
That’s a lot better breakdown than the writers on that one website did that was posted on here. I don’t think they knew what they were talking about. They had Hall at the 3 spot. In Izzo’s system he seems to be the perfect 4.

I also expect Kohler to start at the 5, if not to start the season, by the end of the season. Sissoko is so offensively challenged. I would go with Kohler or even go small with Hauser before starting Sissoko.

Just my opinion. Everything else I agree with.

Grest job, as usual, IL Wildcat.

That’s a lot better breakdown than the writers on that one website did that was posted on here. I don’t think they knew what they were talking about. They had Hall at the 3 spot. In Izzo’s system he seems to be the perfect 4.

I also expect Kohler to start at the 5, if not to start the season, by the end of the season. Sissoko is so offensively challenged. I would go with Kohler or even go small with Hauser before starting Sissoko.

Yep, you may well be right. I was thinking of that November game between our teams when I said Sissoko would start, and there is no doubt he is offensively challenged. I figured Kohler being a true freshman would hurt his chances to start that game. But I agree Kohler is a much more complete player. Trouble with starting Hauser is that he only has 9 scholarship players and 2 are centers who would rarely see the floor, which makes for a poor long term strategy. I guess it depends on what Izzo sees as most important- winning that particular game or preparing for the remainder of the season. He's gonna have a short rotation, no matter what, but start both of your 4s and it becomes even shorter. Just thinking out loud. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix and BBUK
Yep, you may well be right. I was thinking of that November game between our teams when I said Sissoko would start, and there is no doubt he is offensively challenged. I figured Kohler being a true freshman would hurt his chances to start that game. But I agree Kohler is a much more complete player. Trouble with starting Kohler is that he only has 9 scholarship players and 2 are centers who would rarely see the floor, which makes for a poor long term strategy. I guess it depends on what Izzo sees as most important- winning that particular game or preparing for the remainder of the season. He's gonna have a short rotation, no matter what, but start both of your 4s and it becomes even shorter. Just thinking out loud. 🙂
He may go small with Hauser and Hall and bring Kohler and Sissoko off the bench. That would give them more offensive punch. Got to think Hall and Hauser get around 30 minutes a game each.

Might split it something like this:

PF Hall(30)/Hauser(10)
C Hauser(20)/Kohler(10)/Sissoko(10)

That still doubles Sissoko’s minutes per game average for his first two seasons.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
He may go small with Hauser and Hall and bring Kohler and Sissoko off the bench. That would give them more offensive punch. Got to think Hall and Hauser get around 30 minutes a game each.

PF Hall(30)/Hauser(10)

That still doubles Sissoko’s minutes per game average for his first two seasons.
The hauser kid is reaching perry Ellis territory, he has been in college forever

Probable Starters

Bench

2022-23 Outlook
According to various sources I've read, the off-season for Mich State went about as poorly as it could have gone. Gabe Brown and Marcus Bingham both had another year of eligibility remaining (due to Covid) but both decided to forgo the extra year and enter the NBA draft. To make matters worse, up and coming would-be sophomore guard Max Christie (who ended up as #2 in scoring on the season) decided to test the NBA waters as well and ended up signing with an agent, ending his eligibility. To add insult to injury, their presumed would-be starter at center, Julius Marble, decided to enter the transfer portal and ended up at TX A&M. (we'll see him later in the season)

Most prognosticators expect Mich State to be at best a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this season and possibly could end the 24 year streak for the Spartans making the NCAA-T. That streak is tied for the 3rd longest in NCAA men's basketball history and is the 2nd longest active streak. Izzo's teams aren't built for early departures and their 2 incoming freshmen aren't expected to be immediate impact guys. They lack dynamic scorers who can create for themselves on this team.

The backcourt looks to be in solid hands for the Spartans this season, as they return their top 2 in assists from last season (Hoggard and Walker). They also have a very potent 3pt shooting team returning, which features 4 players who shoot better than 38% from distance and 3 who shoot better than 40%. These guys will make open shots, so that is clearly a concern.

Having said this, the real issue for Izzo this season is at the center spot. He runs a traditional offense and wants to play inside-out most of the time. But losing Bingham and Marble at center leaves the Spartans turning to Mady Sissiko or true freshman Jaxon Kohler. Both have good size but Sissiko has not proven to be very reliable in his first 3 years and Kohler signed hoping to possibly redshirt this season. Izzo could go small and start senior forward Joey Hauser (I have a feeling he and Malik Hall will be on the floor together pretty often) but that seems unlikely.

Tom Izzo always seems to be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat when needed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that NCAA streak continue. However, in regard to the match-up with UK on November 15, I'd say the Spartans will struggle with Oscar down low (both defensively and offensively) and will not have many open threes to make up for their lack of interior scoring. Mich State will slow down the pace so the Cats won't likely hit 100 in this one, but I think UK wins.
Is this from CBS Sports? I read a breakdown last night on Michigan State and also UCLA over on their website. We play UCLA a little later on in the season. I think we win both. UCLA should be a good rest for us, however.

I noticed something crazy when looking at our schedule. IIRC, we play 3 games in 6 days to open the new season. Michigan State on Tuesday, a mid major at home on Friday and then at Gonzaga on Sunday. Gonna be a great week, tater. Can’t wait!

PF Hall(30)/Hauser(10)

Good ole @bucsrule8872! Hardly ever misses an opportunity to give us a roster and/or minutes per game breakdown. Oftentimes, providing us with a bulleted list! 🤣

Last edited:
If UK plays good defense this year ( I think we are capable ) we should beat Mich. St. But Izzo always plays us tuff.

They call him ILL...

😏

Is this from CBS Sports? I read a breakdown last night on Michigan State and also UCLA over on their website. We play UCLA a little later on in the season. I think we win both. UCLA should be a good rest for us, however.

I noticed something crazy when looking at our schedule. IIRC, we play 3 games in 6 days to open the new season. Michigan State on Tuesday, a mid major at home on Friday and then at Gonzaga on Sunday. Gonna be a great week, tater. Can’t wait!

Huh?

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

It's not from CBS, I wrote it, but I will take that as a compliment. 🙂

I read several articles before writing this, and one was from CBS, so both may contain some similar info. The best article I read was from a Mich St homer back shortly after those 4 players left, written back in late May.

Regarding the UK schedule, I don't think it's official yet, but here is what has been reported for the week you're referring to...

vs Michigan State | Tuesday, November 15
INDIANAPOLIS | CHAMPIONS CLASSIC

vs North Florida | Friday, November 18
RUPP ARENA

at Gonzaga | Sunday, November 20
SPOKANE

Probable Starters

Bench

2022-23 Outlook

This sounds like the weakest roster they have had in awhile and they haven’t been that strong lately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT