ADVERTISEMENT

EA Sports new CFB game to have largest NIL in nation

$600 is a joke for starting QBs at power programs, their name is worth far more. For the rest of the 11,000 who's names are only known by diehard freak CFB fanatics $600 is more than fair.

Nobody is buying EA Sports CFB for UK's 2nd string left guard. Or Texas Tech 3rd string RB. Or UConn starting safety.

Yeah but not sure how you make any money paying roughly 20k D1 scholarship athletes. In comparison the NFL has 1,696 players.

Arch Manning agrees with you anyway who last I heard has opted out to “concentrate and focus on his team.” Dumbest answer and biggest lie ever btw.

You have to wonder if it’s a money thing or its players and their camps concern about their in game ratings potentially hurting them. Don’t laugh, this is a real thing.

For me, I’d just be happy to be “in the game” and to hopefully have the chrome helmets as an option.

Last edited:
Yeah but not sure how you make any money paying roughly 20k D1 scholarship athletes. In comparison the NFL has 1,696 players.

Arch Manning agrees with you anyway who last I heard has opted out to “concentrate and focus on his team.” Dumbest answer and biggest lie ever btw.

You have to wonder if it’s a money thing or its players and their camps concern about their in game ratings potentially hurting them. Don’t laugh, this is a real thing.

For me, I’d just be happy to be “in the game” and to hopefully have the chrome helmets as an option.
EA’s current deal with the NFLPA is paying $100 million per year to NFL players.

The number of athletes isn’t what’s relevant in terms of whether EA makes a profit on this. What’s relevant is how big of a slice of the overall revenue goes to the athletes. The slice going to student athletes is much smaller than the slice going to NFL athletes, so I think EA will do just fine.

Yeah Arch isn't in the game because of the potential harm it does him & his family's name. They don't want us arseholes posting screenshots of Arch in the EA CFB game transfer portal, or replacing Ewers, or having a game with 15-35 0 tds 4 INTs.

It's kind of ironic because the dispute over image in video games vs payment is what really kicked off the NIL crap storm.
Yes it is. The one that really made no sense back in the day was Jeremy Bloom in the early 2000's. Really good player on the football team, but was also an Olympic skier. Was ruled ineligible by the NCAA because he had endorsements for his skiing career. How the hell does that make any sense?

@ 6 mil, EA needs to sell 100,000 copies of EA College Football at $60 a piece to break even. According to my 5 minutes of Google research, Madden 2023 sold 150,000 copies last year.

This pretty much means microtransactions must be in the game.... Im guessing there is going to be a FIFA-like Ultimate Team feature, which is where EA makes their real money w/ these games.
Oh there will no doubt be microtransactions galore. EA are the masters of that.

@ 6 mil, EA needs to sell 100,000 copies of EA College Football at $60 a piece to break even. According to my 5 minutes of Google research, Madden 2023 sold 150,000 copies last year.

This pretty much means microtransactions must be in the game.... Im guessing there is going to be a FIFA-like Ultimate Team feature, which is where EA makes their real money w/ these games.
I’d say your Madden numbers aren’t right.

When EA testified during the O’Bannon lawsuit, they said they were selling 2 million copies of NCAA football per year. I think it’s safe to assume that EA won’t have any problem covering the athlete payments.

If EA sells that many units of the new game at the expected price of $70 per game, then it’ll generate $140 million in retail sales.

That expected sales number is also the reason why people were suggesting that $670 ($600 plus a free $70 game) per athlete seemed a bit low.

At 11,000 athletes, that would cost EA $7.4 million. Which means that, in total, student athletes would receive roughly 5% of the retail sales. That’s low when compared to the percentage paid to athletes for other sports video games. But if college football athletes are happy with $670, then more power to them.

Reactions: hmt5000
I’d say your Madden numbers aren’t right.

When EA testified during the O’Bannon lawsuit, they said they were selling 2 million copies of NCAA football per year. I think it’s safe to assume that EA won’t have any problem covering the athlete payments.

If EA sells that many units of the new game at the expected price of $70 per game, then it’ll generate $140 million in retail sales.

That expected sales number is also the reason why people were suggesting that $670 ($600 plus a free $70 game) per athlete seemed a bit low.

At 11,000 athletes, that would cost EA $7.4 million. Which means that, in total, student athletes would receive roughly 5% of the retail sales. That’s low when compared to the percentage paid to athletes for other sports video games. But if college football athletes are happy with $670, then more power to them.
I'll say this...was surprised they were as low as they were, but couldn't find anything higher.

I'll say this...was surprised they were as low as they were, but couldn't find anything higher.
For other games, 10% to 15% would go to the athletes. The actual amount per athlete would then depend upon how many athletes are part of the deal and how much the players union keeps to fund operations/programs.

For the latest Madden deal, the NFLPA receives an average of $100 million per year from EA over 5 years, but not all of that money goes directly to the players. Last time I saw a number, NFL players received checks for close to $20 thousand per player.

There are way too many college athletes to pay each one of them that much, but giving them $1,200 each would’ve been more in line with other deals. That gets you closer to giving student athletes a 10% cut of retail sales.

EA hasn't sold the CFB game in 10 yrs. no one has any idea the actual popularity or sales this new rebirth will have yet to determine if the players are getting a fair cut or not. If it sells like gangbusters, for good PR I'm sure EA will kick out some bonus cash to the 11k CFB players.

Or, it isn't as popular a buy, and 2025 the payouts go down.

Reactions: hmt5000
It’ll be interesting to see how the game does after this first year back. I imagine this first one will be big but as you mentioned, college football just doesn’t hang with Madden sales. Doubtful we will see a college basketball again, which had even lower numbers than college football did sadly.
Ncaa 14 sold 1.5M copies. NCAA basketball 10 sold 150k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT