ADVERTISEMENT

EA Sports new CFB game to have largest NIL in nation

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001
So glad the game is returning! And the players get their cut.

Per Matt Brown, contracts to all 85 scholarship players on all 134 D1 schools will be sent out. 11,000 players, if they sign they get $600 + a game in the system of their choice. In addition a few select stars will sign bonus deals to help promote and sell the game, prob guys like Beck & Ewers.

Who's gonna be on the cover?

Reminder, David Pollack was fired by ESPN because on the 2022 CFB National Championship pregame he said Georgia had replaced Alabama as the dynasty of today- with guest analysts Nick Saban sitting beside him.

Can't risk losing Saban to Fox Sat morning show instead of Gameday!

So glad the game is returning! And the players get their cut.

Per Matt Brown, contracts to all 85 scholarship players on all 134 D1 schools will be sent out. 11,000 players, if they sign they get $600 + a game in the system of their choice. In addition a few select stars will sign bonus deals to help promote and sell the game, prob guys like Beck & Ewers.

Who's gonna be on the cover?
This is what nil was intended to be

Sucks to be a PWO. Put in the work and get nothing. They going to raise the price of that game? That's $6.6 million and that's not including the loss of revenue from thousands of free games and the star player endorsements. I expect it to have a bunch of micro transactions added to the game. That's how many game developers make their money these days.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Sucks to be a PWO. Put in the work and get nothing. They going to raise the price of that game? That's $6.6 million and that's not including the loss of revenue from thousands of free games and the star player endorsements. I expect it to have a bunch of micro transactions added to the game. That's how many game developers make their money these days.
2K has been paying the NBA players and Madden the NFL players for years and their games are the same price as what you would expect College Football to be. I can see them having different packages and game "series" like you can do with Madden and 2K, but it isn't going to be much different than any other big time sports game on the market today.

EA Sports hasn't sold a CFB game in 10 yrs. Maybe $6M is too much to players. Maybe too little. Nobody knows till it hits the market this summer.

And I have no doubt it will try to micro transaction us to death. Recruit a good QB will cost extra $$, or keep your coach, etc.

EA Sports hasn't sold a CFB game in 10 yrs. Maybe $6M is too much to players. Maybe too little. Nobody knows till it hits the market this summer.

And I have no doubt it will try to micro transaction us to death. Recruit a good QB will cost extra $$, or keep your coach, etc.

In game nil influence on recruiting based on micro transactions. Talk about immersive!

Good question. No doubt Kentucky and the other 133 schools will get compensation for the use of their name, stadium rendering, colors, mascot, fight song. Will be interesting how much.

You know who definitely got a cut. I won't type the name because the one poster will be here praising their existence

How much are the programs and coaches getting for their NIL?
If the game is the same as back in 2014, coaches won’t receive anything. EA didn’t make use of their likenesses. And even if EA decides to start using coaches’ likenesses, the license fee would go to the schools and not the coaches for the most part. Majority of head coaches transfer their NIL rights to the school as part of their contract.

For the schools’ payouts, it would depend upon what tier EA places them in. EA has 4 tiers with different minimum payouts ranging from $105K for Tier 1 to $10K for Tier 4 (at least as of a year or so ago). The actual payouts will likely be a bit higher than the minimums, depending on a few things like how many copies sell, schools’ placement within their respective tier, negotiation with the school’s rights holder, etc.

For example, 10 years ago, the Tier 1 minimum was $75K, but most of the Tier 1 schools were making more than that. Clemson was paid about $85K and Wisconsin was paid nearly $150K. You’ll likely see similar payouts variances with the new version, so top schools may end up getting $250K+ per year.

Not an earth shattering amount for top schools, but a decent amount higher than what the athletes will be paid if $600 is what EA sticks with for the student athletes.

I pray that the game will actually be good. I know it's a different DEV team than Madden so that gives me hope because Madden has been dog shit for years. I havent pre ordered a game in years and plan on pre ordering this one the second I can.

Side note I hope this game is so successful that maybe they end up bringing back NCAA basketball too at some point. Man with all the great players UK has had over the years they would have been fun as hell to play with.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Side note I hope this game is so successful that maybe they end up bringing back NCAA basketball too at some point. Man with all the great players UK has had over the years they would have been fun as hell to play with.
The dropped bball in 2010. Football was just dropped in 14 due to the legal stuff that arose. Basketball didn't sell very well compared to football, and the NCAA games didn't do as good as Madden in sales.
Hopefully where NCAA games have been out of the market for almost 10 years maybe this go around will be more popular. A whole new generation of gamers nowadays.
Regardless I'll buy football and I'll get the bball too if it ever happens.

Reactions: screwduke1
Oh they will survive, and I'd be hilarious. The entire 2024 Texas Longhorns roster is in the game, every name, their numbers even likeness of their faces. But the 2nd string QB is a blank NPC, called "QB #16".

going?

As someone else said, dont see it. College hoops 2k8 was an amazing game presentation wise though. They had a full selection show and everything.

They would also talk about how UK was going for its 8th title (Pre 2012 so we had 7) or 9th if you won the prior year, etc.

2k really does outshine ea in a lot of ways but I'm hopeful for this game. I want to take UK to the playoff and win it all and dominate the new sec.

I'll also do a mtsu dynasty and bring them from cusa to sec. I hate when I play UK in that dynasty though...awkward.

The payment amount to the players is a joke but I am sure these guys are just excited to be included on the game.

$600 is a joke for starting QBs at power programs, their name is worth far more. For the rest of the 11,000 who's names are only known by diehard freak CFB fanatics $600 is more than fair.

Nobody is buying EA Sports CFB for UK's 2nd string left guard. Or Texas Tech 3rd string RB. Or UConn starting safety.

$600 is a joke for starting QBs at power programs, their name is worth far more. For the rest of the 11,000 who's names are only known by diehard freak CFB fanatics $600 is more than fair.

Nobody is buying EA Sports CFB for UK's 2nd string left guard. Or Texas Tech 3rd string RB. Or UConn starting safety.

Don’t dispute, but it is also great PR to be in the game. Kids learn players from the game as much as from watching on Saturdays.

As expected, CFB players signing up almost universally to be in the new game

Just think if they would have gave Obannon a cut of the ncaa game back in the day when he was on the cover... LOL.

Remember, EA Sports wanted to pay the players. NCAA said they couldn't. The OBannon lawsuit was against the NCAA.

Remember, EA Sports wanted to pay the players. NCAA said they couldn't. The OBannon lawsuit was against the NCAA.
O’Bannon sued both EA and the NCAA. However, unlike the NCAA, EA decided to settle the case.

Under the settlement, EA ended up paying about $60 million to the student athletes.

Reactions: hmt5000
O’Bannon sued both EA and the NCAA. However, unlike the NCAA, EA decided to settle the case.

Under the settlement, EA ended up paying about $60 million to the student athletes.
Yep. It's 100% on the ncaa for why we are here.

@ 6 mil, EA needs to sell 100,000 copies of EA College Football at $60 a piece to break even. According to my 5 minutes of Google research, Madden 2023 sold 150,000 copies last year.

This pretty much means microtransactions must be in the game.... Im guessing there is going to be a FIFA-like Ultimate Team feature, which is where EA makes their real money w/ these games.

@ 6 mil, EA needs to sell 100,000 copies of EA College Football at $60 a piece to break even. According to my 5 minutes of Google research, Madden 2023 sold 150,000 copies last year.

This pretty much means microtransactions must be in the game.... Im guessing there is going to be a FIFA-like Ultimate Team feature, which is where EA makes their real money w/ these games.

It’ll be interesting to see how the game does after this first year back. I imagine this first one will be big but as you mentioned, college football just doesn’t hang with Madden sales. Doubtful we will see a college basketball again, which had even lower numbers than college football did sadly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT