ADVERTISEMENT

Duren

That’s why I said it depends on his mindset. I agree the NIL money might not be as good, but we don’t know for sure since this is brand new. But if he just wants a fun year in the sun then it’s not a crazy idea.

I'm a UK fan through and through, but if I'm being recruited? My top schools are San Diego State, Arizona State, Georgia, and Miami and I'm not gonna pretend to look anywhere else.

Reactions: Lempface
Would the addition of Duren run anyone else off the team? I understand you take him if he wants to come. Does someone redshirt if he comes?

It’s supposedly a done deal on Duren reclassifying. Some major recruiting people are saying if he goes to college the pick will be Kentucky. With the whole NIL thing, it’s looking like college is a real legitimate option, more and more every day.
Please let this be true and please let it be UK!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm a UK fan through and through, but if I'm being recruited? My top schools are San Diego State, Arizona State, Georgia, and Miami and I'm not gonna pretend to look anywhere else.

If I was a top recruit, I visit those schools, then pick UK. Visits are for fun, but when it comes right down to it, home is where the heart is. The only other schools that I would even consider would be WKU (I live/grew up in BG area) and Vandy (academics and close to home).

Reactions: RunninRichie
I doubt Duren announces reclassification until after the Peach Jam tournament which ends July 25th which would put him at least another month out getting on the court with the current UK guys if he came here. Unless he commits on his visit and blows off Peach Jam it could be a while knowing anything.

I doubt Duren announces reclassification until after the Peach Jam tournament which ends July 25th which would put him at least another month out getting on the court with the current UK guys if he came here. Unless he commits on his visit and blows off Peach Jam it could be a while knowing anything.
Peach jam is a big deal. You’re probably right.

Reactions: bigblue1971
Agreed. Seems like this is the outcome with damn near every recruit these days. Really wish they’d move that event up a little.

If you're in Duren's position, you go wherever is going to be the most fun, within reason. Don't go to a dumpster fire like Louisville or LSU where cheating and ugliness is an issue and don't go somewhere where you’re the only good player, weaknesses could get really exposed.

These kids have figured out that they don't need UK. Why go to UK, work your ass off, get yelled at all game long and play in a fishbowl when you can go to a school like Miami and live the life for a year? He's going to make a ton of money in the NBA anyways, so he might as well live it up in South beach.

The kids that need UK, are the uber athletes that aren't polished, have little skill and little bb iq and Cal is more than happy to oblige. He'll put you on a pedestal and make sure you get plenty of playing time to work out your kinks.

Don't count on Duren coming to UK, it would be awesome, but he doesn't need UK or Cal.

It’s supposedly a done deal on Duren reclassifying. Some major recruiting people are saying if he goes to college the pick will be Kentucky. With the whole NIL thing, it’s looking like college is a real legitimate option, more and more every day.
This is why getting Orlando back on staff was so important. Might not win the recruiting battle but he always had us there with the top guys.

If you're in Duren's position, you go wherever is going to be the most fun, within reason. Don't go to a dumpster fire like Louisville or LSU where cheating and ugliness is an issue and don't go somewhere where you’re the only good player, weaknesses could get really exposed.

These kids have figured out that they don't need UK. Why go to UK, work your ass off, get yelled at all game long and play in a fishbowl when you can go to a school like Miami and live the life for a year? He's going to make a ton of money in the NBA anyways, so he might as well live it up in South beach.

The kids that need UK, are the uber athletes that aren't polished, have little skill and little bb iq and Cal is more than happy to oblige. He'll put you on a pedestal and make sure you get plenty of playing time to work out your kinks.

Don't count on Duren coming to UK, it would be awesome, but he doesn't need UK or Cal.

That works fine until he blows his knee out and never gets paid.

If he goes to UK, he gets some NIL money. If he blows out his knee he still has the money from the Ford dealership commercials, the Maker’s Mark Duren signature series, and the autograph sessions.

If he goes to UK, he gets some NIL money. If he blows out his knee he still has the money from the Ford dealership commercials, the Maker’s Mark Duren signature series, and the autograph sessions.
The only advantages of going to Miami over UK would be beaches, nice weather and the abundance of beautiful, big booty women everywhere. Don’t get me wrong, Kentucky has its fair share of beautiful women, but Miami is just incredible in that aspect. 🤣

The only advantages of going to Miami over UK would be beaches, nice weather and the abundance of beautiful, big booty women everywhere. Don’t get me wrong, Kentucky has its fair share of beautiful women, but Miami is just incredible in that aspect. 🤣

I guess it depends on his priorities and his tastes.

If he wants to stand out in the crowd and have some gorgeous country girls throwing themselves at him, then it should be Kentucky.

If he wants to be another face in the crowd and chase South Beach chicks who won’t care if he plays basketball or not, then it should be Miami.

If he wants to stand out in the crowd and have some gorgeous country girls throwing themselves at him, then it should be Kentucky.

If he wants to be another face in the crowd and chase South Beach chicks who won’t care if he plays basketball or not, then it should be Miami.
Exactly. I agree.

He would still make a lot of money in Miami or Memphis if he's as good as everyone says he is.

Nerlens blew out his knee and he's still playing in the NBA, the reason he isn’t making more money is his own fault.

The amount of money these kids will make off of endorsements is decent, but it’s not going to be so good that the pull to UK is too much to overcome, other schools will find a way to get these kids to make money off their names. I think the UK advantage is being blown up a bit.

Those chicks aren't stupid, once they find out who Duren is, it will be a race to see who gets to be his future wife.
If the athletics department at Miami has any connections at all, Duren will make just as much money there as he will here.

I think the guys that will really benefit from NIL at UK over other schools are… .say it with me… ..the 2nd tier 5* kids and of course, the kids that grew up in Kentucky. The big time, top shelf 5* kids are going to make good money no matter where they go.

Those chicks aren't stupid, once they find out who Duren is, it will be a race to see who gets to be his future wife.
If the athletics department at Miami has any connections at all, Duren will make just as much money there as he will here.

I think the guys that will really benefit from NIL at UK over other schools are… .say it with me… ..the 2nd tier 5* kids and of course, the kids that grew up in Kentucky. The big time, top shelf 5* kids are going to make good money no matter where they go.
This Nil shit is a bunch of BS

This Nil shit is a bunch of BS
I think it is a great way to keep kids away from the GL, but it doesn’t mean UK is going to just start reeling in the big fish, every power 5 school will have local car companies, furniture stores, insurance agencies and restaurants lined up to pay these kids, our advantage will be minimal if there even is an advantage.

People that’ll benefit are people like Dontaie Allen, Tyler Ullis, Reed Shepherd, Doron Lamb, Meeks, etc. I can see some corny commercial with Jeff Shepherd passing a basketball to Reed Shepherd saying “We’re passing on a winning tradition like who the hell Chevy!” Those mid tier guys or guys with Kentucky roots that less passionate fanbases don’t care about. I think you’re spot on - and I actually think it’ll help us keep these guys that are for some reason leaving after 2 years when they would help us a ton staying. The top tier guys like Wall, Cunningham etc will get paid anywhere.

This may be an oversimplification. Having been on both campuses as a young man both have some very attractive coeds. But due to the nature of where they are located Miami has volume UK could never touch. Then couple that with the city of Miami and the rest of SoFla...

I'd never disrespect the ladies at UK as my mother was one of them, but we're comparing an ant to a blue whale if that's what were selling recruits on to come here. We should just stick to highlighting our basketball program as the pitch.

Why do people keep on thinking that this NIl money will all be local? The kids like Duren top 10 to 15 kids will command national money and attention. That is where the real money will be. A good deal of these national sponsors. Shoe companies, beverage companies, and sports apparel so on and so on are already spending money with pro players in markets like Miami and Memphis. UK has the largest fan base in college basketball they are on national tv constantly, and their players alot of time are future pros. It makes sense from a professional standpoint of the people writing the checks to throw money at a kid going to UK over alot of others. To them it won't be about spending money to influence where they go to school. It will be to spend money where it can produce the best results for them and their product

This may be an oversimplification. Having been on both campuses as a young man both have some very attractive coeds. But due to the nature of where they are located Miami has volume UK could never touch. Then couple that with the city of Miami and the rest of SoFla...

I'd never disrespect the ladies at UK as my mother was one of them, but we're comparing an ant to a blue whale if that's what were selling recruits on to come here. We should just stick to highlighting our basketball program as the pitch.

You also have to factor in competition. More population means more ladies, but it also means more athletes.

The girls aren’t going to go after a future pro basketball player when there are Dolphins, Marlins, and Heat players to catch.

And Co-eds (like every other student on campus) at the U will be focused on the Canes football team. Heck, the 53rd football scholarship guy at Miami is ahead of the best basketball player in the pecking order.

In other words, Duren will be just one of many big fish in a big pond in Miami, but at UK he will be the freaking shark in a much smaller pond. He won’t have as many “fish” to feast on, but he will eat first and won’t have to fight off as many other big fish.

Anyway, I think it could go either way. It just depends on what he likes really. He might not want to be the big man on campus. He might prefer to blend in. He might prefer city life and he may find Lexington boring compared to Miami.

But if he is trying to make money now, UK will probably present more opportunities at the local level than Miami just because basketball is king here and in Miami it’s definitely not. The competition for endorsements will be much tougher in Miami. And if you are talking national opportunities, well which would be more nationally prominent, a guy in a UK basketball jersey or a guy in a Miami basketball jersey?

Duren will have to decide that himself, but I hope Cal has a solid pitch, because I think we would all agree that we want to see this kid in blue.

I think there are a lot of layers to this that we won't even realize until you're in the thick of it.

Sure, Nike is going to throw money at the elite kids. They'll try to steer them where they want them. Adidas will. Coke, Gatorade, etc. may all get in on it.

You'll have a lot of local businesses willing to help out.

I assume there's a metric $hit ton of booster money waiting to reel in the biggest fishes.

My source called me this morning and said Duren to UK is a done deal. He will announce it when he announces he is gonna reclassify in July!

You also have to factor in competition. More population means more ladies, but it also means more athletes.

The girls aren’t going to go after a future pro basketball player when there are Dolphins, Marlins, and Heat players to catch.

And Co-eds (like every other student on campus) at the U will be focused on the Canes football team. Heck, the 53rd football scholarship guy at Miami is ahead of the best basketball player in the pecking order.

In other words, Duren will be just one of many big fish in a big pond in Miami, but at UK he will be the freaking shark in a much smaller pond. He won’t have as many “fish” to feast on, but he will eat first and won’t have to fight off as many other big fish.

Anyway, I think it could go either way. It just depends on what he likes really. He might not want to be the big man on campus. He might prefer to blend in. He might prefer city life and he may find Lexington boring compared to Miami.

But if he is trying to make money now, UK will probably present more opportunities at the local level than Miami just because basketball is king here and in Miami it’s definitely not. The competition for endorsements will be much tougher in Miami. And if you are talking national opportunities, well which would be more nationally prominent, a guy in a UK basketball jersey or a guy in a Miami basketball jersey?

Duren will have to decide that himself, but I hope Cal has a solid pitch, because I think we would all agree that we want to see this kid in blue.
I think we both agree either situation would be appealing to a young man.

And I'm not totally sure how the national endorsements would work. I remember how turned off I was by seeing K in commercials. You risk turning off other fan bases by using their rivals in a commercial. Have to see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT