ADVERTISEMENT

Duren

People that’ll benefit are people like Dontaie Allen, Tyler Ullis, Reed Shepherd, Doron Lamb, Meeks, etc. I can see some corny commercial with Jeff Shepherd passing a basketball to Reed Shepherd saying “We’re passing on a winning tradition like who the hell Chevy!” Those mid tier guys or guys with Kentucky roots that less passionate fanbases don’t care about. I think you’re spot on - and I actually think it’ll help us keep these guys that are for some reason leaving after 2 years when they would help us a ton staying. The top tier guys like Wall, Cunningham etc will get paid anywhere.
I love who the hell Chevy

I think there are a lot of layers to this that we won't even realize until you're in the thick of it.

Sure, Nike is going to throw money at the elite kids. They'll try to steer them where they want them. Adidas will. Coke, Gatorade, etc. may all get in on it.

You'll have a lot of local businesses willing to help out.

I assume there's a metric $hit ton of booster money waiting to reel in the biggest fishes.

And this is where Duke will still get top players as they have been paying players for years.

This Nil shit is a bunch of BS
Not if you want guys like Jalen Green, Kuminga, Hardy, and Duren to play in college.

I like having that type of player at Kentucky. So does Cal. He's winning 37.3 games/year when he has a #1 overall pick on the roster. Sample size is four seasons. All four of those teams were #1 seeds, and only one of them didn't make it to the Final Four.

NIL is what it is. It will have its good points and it’s bad points. It will change things and some will hate it and some will love it. It will ruin the game for some and some will absolutely love it. It’s just like everything else in life. I will try to take it in stride. To me sports is a distraction from the real problems of life, so I really don’t care if Johnny is getting paid to play or not, as long as I get to escape my real problems for a few hours while he plays. I really don’t care if the sport is “pure” or if it’s the death of amateurism or any of that. It’s been a farce for many years anyway, so does it really matter?

If you're in Duren's position, you go wherever is going to be the most fun, within reason. Don't go to a dumpster fire like Louisville or LSU where cheating and ugliness is an issue and don't go somewhere where you’re the only good player, weaknesses could get really exposed.

These kids have figured out that they don't need UK. Why go to UK, work your ass off, get yelled at all game long and play in a fishbowl when you can go to a school like Miami and live the life for a year? He's going to make a ton of money in the NBA anyways, so he might as well live it up in South beach.

The kids that need UK, are the uber athletes that aren't polished, have little skill and little bb iq and Cal is more than happy to oblige. He'll put you on a pedestal and make sure you get plenty of playing time to work out your kinks.

Don't count on Duren coming to UK, it would be awesome, but he doesn't need UK or Cal
Actually this statement is the complete opposite. He is all business. He could GAF less about college girls. He is a instant millionaire, he does not have to chase women. it came straight from his mouth "I want someone who can develop me, the money at this point is not the most important thing." "I want to go somewhere a coach has a history of developing big men." In YOUR mind, you may pick beaches and hot girls, but in Jalen Duren's mind, he is either going pro or somewhere he can improve his game.

Actually this statement is the complete opposite. He is all business. He could GAF less about college girls. He is a instant millionaire, he does not have to chase women. it came straight from his mouth "I want someone who can develop me, the money at this point is not the most important thing." "I want to go somewhere a coach has a history of developing big men." In YOUR mind, you may pick beaches and hot girls, but in Jalen Duren's mind, he is either going pro or somewhere he can improve his game.

The question is this: does he really mean what he says or is that just the right answer to give? I really don’t know the kid, but I know that kids sometimes say one thing and mean the other, especially when talking to adults.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and bfawns
The question is this: does he really mean what he says or is that just the right answer to give? I really don’t know the kid, but I know that kids sometimes say one thing and mean the other, especially when talking to adults.
Agree. But IF he reclassifies, and all signs point to it happening, why waste a year ? If he was going to do that, just lay up in Cali for a year, train and chase women. I truly feel if he goes the college route, UK is the place. AD, Boogie, KAT, Bam, and to a lesser extent, Richards, and hell even Jorts got drafted. Duren is a top 5 lock even if he sat out and laid up for a year, but I think he is approaching this with all business and wants to develop and improve for long term career in mind. AD, Boogie, Bam, and KAT all would have been high draft picks no matter what, but what he did with KAT and making him expand his game (He was pretty much a Euro / stretch 4 before he got here. Cal made him go inside and work on a inside game. More recently, Duren knows what Cal did with PJ, no other scholl on his list can match what Cal / UK has for a resume in developing / helping bigs.

Agree. But IF he reclassifies, and all signs point to it happening, why waste a year ? If he was going to do that, just lay up in Cali for a year, train and chase women. I truly feel if he goes the college route, UK is the place. AD, Boogie, KAT, Bam, and to a lesser extent, Richards, and hell even Jorts got drafted. Duren is a top 5 lock even if he sat out and laid up for a year, but I think he is approaching this with all business and wants to develop and improve for long term career in mind. AD, Boogie, Bam, and KAT all would have been high draft picks no matter what, but what he did with KAT and making him expand his game (He was pretty much a Euro / stretch 4 before he got here. Cal made him go inside and work on a inside game. More recently, Duren knows what Cal did with PJ, no other scholl on his list can match what Cal / UK has for a resume in developing / helping bigs.

I hope you are right.

Reactions: westerncat
I smell new troll posing as a UK fan.

Maaaaybeeee.

RJs63Vs.jpg

Tell us a little more about your source. Obviously, you’re new to the board, so please tell us more. You seem to be 100% sure that UK is getting Duren. Also, I would like to know the powerball lottery numbers for Wednesday.

Got my pen all ready and.....*crickets*

Reactions: Ocornett
No, I think my statement is very true.
For one thing, there isn't a power 5 program out there that can't develop a big man. He can literally go anywhere for his one year in college and develop. Ben Simmons, Cade Cunningham and many others have proven this. Heck, Deandre Ayton played for Sean Miller, what does that tell you?
The other mistake you’re making is you're believing what these kids say during recruiting. Saying he wants to go somewhere where he can be developed as a big man, is right up there with "UK is my dream school". Most of what these kids say is just their way of saying what fans want to hear.
However, this kid might actually come to UK. Kids like Duren are why Orlando and Chin were brought in. Lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Why do people keep on thinking that this NIl money will all be local? The kids like Duren top 10 to 15 kids will command national money and attention. That is where the real money will be. A good deal of these national sponsors. Shoe companies, beverage companies, and sports apparel so on and so on are already spending money with pro players in markets like Miami and Memphis. UK has the largest fan base in college basketball they are on national tv constantly, and their players alot of time are future pros. It makes sense from a professional standpoint of the people writing the checks to throw money at a kid going to UK over alot of others. To them it won't be about spending money to influence where they go to school. It will be to spend money where it can produce the best results for them and their product
I think that's where our biggest advantage lies. National advertising.

Nike wants their shoes seen, ultimately. This is all advertising for products. People watch UK. Who else matches us in that regard? Duke maybe UNC, Kansas, IU and probably MSU are up there. None of them match our attendance.

The second tier guys are going to get car dealership commercials (as pointed out, another huge advantage we have over most other schools). The big guys are going to get shoe contracts and Wheaties boxes. The money they can make off of those endorsements could quite honestly be huge compared to whatever the G-League pays them.

Kentucky is in a very very good spot in basketball.

Reactions: TM2013
Tell us a little more about your source. Obviously, you’re new to the board, so please tell us more. You seem to be 100% sure that UK is getting Duren. Also, I would like to know the powerball lottery numbers for Wednesday.

My source is a co-worker who is friends with CC. They went to the same High School!

Da blue and others have pointed out that thinking about this only in terms of endorsements from companies might be missing the biggest streams of revenue.

Lively made a statement about NFTs (which absolutely make no sense to me but people can make tons of money with them) and social media. That is the real way NIL is going to put huge amounts of money in players’ pockets, potentially.

When Cal talks about being out front of something, I really hope they have a team of people mapping this out and thinking ahead. Twitch streaming players playing video games, player YouTube channels, etc. This could open up a whole new level ecosystem for athletes online. It’s going to be interesting.

Da blue and others have pointed out that thinking about this only in terms of endorsements from companies might be missing the biggest streams of revenue.

Lively made a statement about NFTs (which absolutely make no sense to me but people can make tons of money with them) and social media. That is the real way NIL is going to put huge amounts of money in players’ pockets, potentially.

When Cal talks about being out front of something, I really hope they have a team of people mapping this out and thinking ahead. Twitch streaming players playing video games, player YouTube channels, etc. This could open up a whole new level ecosystem for athletes online. It’s going to be interesting.
I kept thinking there's something we're not identifying that will be the thing that busts the doors wide open. I think it's NFT's. Jalen Duren has a monster dunk or gamewinner? Turn it into an NFT and sell it for tens of thousands. Fans will pay for all kinds of silly clips. Boosters can pay up big $$ for these. Seems like a homerun.

Reactions: travisbickle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT