ADVERTISEMENT

Dukes scout board

Fingers crossed that it comes together at some point, but I don't remember seeing many teams that find themselves at this point in the year.

Kentucky 2013-2014 didn't really come together until the SEC tournament. However, their chemistry issues seemed to be court related. This Duke team, to me, looks like multiple players openly dislike each other personally, and that's causing the awful play.

Don't blame it on trolls. Read the game thread on the Duke Rivals board and you'll see some of the same stuff.

When there's that much talent then things could click at anytime. See UK '14.

Oh no no, certainly not ALL trolls. Lots of Duke fans are seeing hope for a Final Four year (or title year) fading away, myself included... And man, when people get frustrated, it is easy for it to show. But that particular forum is an aggressive mess, with a lot of noise from non-Duke fans. Rivals or DBR are much better representations of how Duke fans feel (which isn't so hopeful!:) )

Yeah, there are some teams that find themselves. But I think they are the minority. Our team this year just doesn't feel like one of those. The chemistry which many of the team spoke about before the year started just doesn't seem to be there, and without that, without that sense of brotherhood, I don't think a team can pull it back. Now, I am definitely a "glass half empty" type, and am just a fan watching from afar and might not see that there IS a bond there, and it could be that they need a spark to make them come together... but I just don't see it:(

Kentucky 2013-2014 didn't really come together until the SEC tournament. However, their chemistry issues seemed to be court related. This Duke team, to me, looks like multiple players openly dislike each other personally, and that's causing the awful play.
2012 UofL looked like total garbage prior to the Big East tournament.

feces_k_zps5thfsw0g.jpeg

Two things:

First, that forum is half trolls now. Just FYI. Ownership changed and they got rid of all moderating, and dozens of folks turned up who pretended to be Duke fans and just said insane stuff. The place is just such a mess that I gave up on it, after 15k posts. A number of those folks are actually trolls.

That said... Yikes, what a season. Tatum has certainly looked like he isn't capable of being that dominant guy whose play enhances the team, but instead is taking away from it... The guard defense hasn't improved, and they are getting beat, and the bigs aren't helping as we would need them to... The issue of too many guards with average foot speed? I never thought Allen would be some NPOY, but man, he has struggled worse than expected, and his whole thing has been such a distraction. We've been really bad in a lot of way a lot of you called over the summer, and it sucks to admit that. Fingers crossed that it comes together at some point, but I don't remember seeing many teams that find themselves at this point in the year.
Good post.
The real issue I see is the lack of a pg. Tatum is definitely an issue, but an experienced pg could fix a lot of his issues. I think that's going to be duke's fatal issue.

But can you weigh in on the coach issue? Who do you see taking K's place when he retires? It's obviously not going to be Capel….. Right?

Has everyone forgotten the fact that Coach K has reportedly been at some of the practices?

Fingers crossed that it comes together at some point, but I don't remember seeing many teams that find themselves at this point in the year.
Julius Randle and Company, lost 3 of last 4 regulars season games. Went to the championship game.

Two things:

First, that forum is half trolls now. Just FYI. Ownership changed and they got rid of all moderating, and dozens of folks turned up who pretended to be Duke fans and just said insane stuff. The place is just such a mess that I gave up on it, after 15k posts. A number of those folks are actually trolls.

That said... Yikes, what a season. Tatum has certainly looked like he isn't capable of being that dominant guy whose play enhances the team, but instead is taking away from it... The guard defense hasn't improved, and they are getting beat, and the bigs aren't helping as we would need them to... The issue of too many guards with average foot speed? I never thought Allen would be some NPOY, but man, he has struggled worse than expected, and his whole thing has been such a distraction. We've been really bad in a lot of way a lot of you called over the summer, and it sucks to admit that. Fingers crossed that it comes together at some point, but I don't remember seeing many teams that find themselves at this point in the year.

Totally get your frustration, but I recall a certain team...loaded with 5 star players...supposed to wipe the floor with everyone in their way...had 6 losses in their league and entered NCAA tournament with 9 losses total...got an 8 seed...and made it it title game, a game they should have won. That team also had issues with a PG taking too many shots, then the "tweak heard round the world" happened and the team made a run. Oh, and the next year, that team went 38-1.

Still have a lot of time to turn it around, but without K there it will be challenging. Can't compare the pieces to that 2013/14 UK team, that was more due to youth than anything. But, anything is possible.

Yes, this Duke team could win it all and in fact I seem to remember in their last championship season them getting blown out in a game or two. You know the committee will give them a good spot no matter their record. But, right now, I am loving it. In fact, I know it might be too early to post, but I was going to anyway on who was the bigger dud, Skal or Giles. At least Skal had a couple games where he accomplished something. Giles was the top recruit, I mean numero uno (Vitale).

Yes, this Duke team could win it all and in fact I seem to remember in their last championship season them getting blown out in a game or two. You know the committee will give them a good spot no matter their record. But, right now, I am loving it. In fact, I know it might be too early to post, but I was going to anyway on who was the bigger dud, Skal or Giles. At least Skal had a couple games where he accomplished something. Giles was the top recruit, I mean numero uno (Vitale).

To be fair, Giles and his knees are apples to oranges. Skal just sucked.

Maybe Duke needs to re-evaluate the way they recruit.

Next year, they have Trent Jr coming in who is a volume shooter/scorer, Carter, a 6'10" 250 or so PF who was chucking up threes and trying to play guard in the one same I saw him in, and they're going hard after Trevon Duval - best PG in the class, but a guy who has a rep for being selfish and a showboater.

Basically, they're setting themselves up for more of the same next year.

After all the preseason hype and end up in the NIT, then duke will be the laughingstock in all of college basketball.

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

Yikes, what a season. Tatum has certainly looked like he isn't capable of being that dominant guy whose play enhances the team, but instead is taking away from it... The guard defense hasn't improved, and they are getting beat, and the bigs aren't helping as we would need them to... The issue of too many guards with average foot speed? I never thought Allen would be some NPOY, but man, he has struggled worse than expected, and his whole thing has been such a distraction. We've been really bad in a lot of way a lot of you called over the summer, and it sucks to admit that. Fingers crossed that it comes together at some point, but I don't remember seeing many teams that find themselves at this point in the year.

Here.

Edit: wait, now I am confused, I thought I was posting this in the rival fans thread, but now I don't see it? Lemme look back, might be going nuts.

Best part is many of them thought the team turned the corner by beating miami....

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

It should have been 4 losses in a row. I'm not sure who got the bigger gift recently, Duke or Tennessee.

Too bad, that would have put Duke firmly in a tailspin.

Pains me to say it, but Duke can always make a run this year. If you get in the tournament, a Final4 isn't out of reach at all.

Duke can score the basketball in volumes. Tatum Kennard and Allen plus Jefferson can take them to the final four...with our defense it would be ugly if we played
The extent to which our defense is better than Duke's vastly exceeds the extent to which their offense is better than ours. But matchups could lead to a result you wouldn't expect on paper.

Good post.
The real issue I see is the lack of a pg. Tatum is definitely an issue, but an experienced pg could fix a lot of his issues. I think that's going to be duke's fatal issue.

But can you weigh in on the coach issue? Who do you see taking K's place when he retires? It's obviously not going to be Capel….. Right?
I have an issue with all of your issues.

Maybe Duke needs to re-evaluate the way they recruit.

Next year, they have Trent Jr coming in who is a volume shooter/scorer, Carter, a 6'10" 250 or so PF who was chucking up threes and trying to play guard in the one same I saw him in, and they're going hard after Trevon Duval - best PG in the class, but a guy who has a rep for being selfish and a showboater.

Basically, they're setting themselves up for more of the same next year.
I can see Trip Allen and Kennard both coming back. Duke seems to get them to do that. Plus Bolden and Jeter will be back.

They are about as bad as many on here. Duke is a top 15 team IMO but they have zero shot at winning a title as you need 2 things - a great pg and a big man you can give the ball to who gets points. UK has that , Zona has that , UNC has that and maybe 1-2 others. The title will come from that group. Duke is a 2nd or 3rd round loss for sure. On top of that they can't defend. Unlike UK who has improved its D lately Duke is still playing lousy D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT