ADVERTISEMENT

Drew will be fine. Will we be okay with ‘fine’?

Imafan4evr_

Junior
Jul 31, 2004
Rupp, Hall, Sutton.

Pitino, Smith, BCG.

Calipari, Drew(?).

It seems we follow a predictable pattern: superstar, solid, drunk.

I think Drew is a great coach. Has the ability to win a title here, but I’m not convinced he’s a multiple Final Four or titles guy. In essence, I think his resume here could resemble Tubby’s. Admittedly, I’m not sure we give Tubby due credit sometimes, especially after seeing what BCG and the last 5 years of Cal have been.

How do we feel if Drew is the guy and he brings us sustained, modest success but doesn’t crack multiple FFs?

(Full disclosure, I’m ‘fine’ with Drew, but was/am hoping for the home run instead of the triple.)

• Haha
Reactions: warrior-cat
Tubby all over again. Not exactly the same, but same blandness. I really didn’t enjoy the Tubby years. I already told myself that I was done with college basketball if Cal stayed or if we hired Scott Drew. He was the one guy who couldn’t get me interested again. Only really hanging around the board hoping to see some different result.

With a hefty NIL boost and boosters all-in now, Drew can make some noise. Not the splash hire, but if he's our next coach, I'm going to get behind him and support him because I have no other choice. Time to get #9

Reactions: University-6
whoever it is , they better be getting UK to the final game of the SECT and landing some #1 seeds.

If people have faith that Drew can do it as much as Hurley then roll the dice.

If they don't, then why is he being offered before Hurley can say no

Reactions: HoneyMoon155
If 14 losses and a second round exit is ok with you you'll be happy. He makes a run once every 7 or 8 years. He won't make it here
He's had double digit losses 15 times at Baylor and has 1 FF. The Covid year when things were wonky.
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I looked at Adam Zagoria's twitter account

All it has that I could find is a post from 12h ago where Hurley is saying it isn't going into the coaching portal

Call Donovan, if he says no which I don't believe he will, then call Pearl. I think Drew is a OK coach but he can't handle this job.A completely different animal here than at Baylor.Hurley ain't coming so It's Donovan or Pearl for me.
I know some don't like Pearl but I'm telling you, if Donovan says no, Pearl is my next and last call.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Tubby all over again. Not exactly the same, but same blandness. I really didn’t enjoy the Tubby years. I already told myself that I was done with college basketball if Cal stayed or if we hired Scott Drew. He was the one guy who couldn’t get me interested again. Only really hanging around the board hoping to see some different result.
Bye

Tubby without the spring board roster to a title

Reactions: Greatestalltime
Call Donovan, if he says no which I don't believe he will, then call Pearl. I think Drew is a OK coach but he can't handle this job.A completely different animal here than at Baylor.Hurley ain't coming so It's Donovan or Pearl for me.
I know some don't like Pearl but I'm telling you, if Donovan says no, Pearl is my next and last call.
Pearl reminds me too much of Cal.

whoever it is , they better be getting UK to the final game of the SECT and landing some #1 seeds.

If people have faith that Drew can do it as much as Hurley then roll the dice.

If they don't, then why is he being offered before Hurley can say no
Legit question. Why do you think we can just snag the back-to-back natty winning coach away from the school he is at?

Donovan can’t be here until next weekend at the earliest. He also has no staff, no recruits, and likely little-to-no recruiting connections. Also, kids probably don’t remember him winning titles in 2006 and 2007, so why do so many of you think he will fill out a winning roster right away?

Rupp, Hall, Sutton.

Pitino, Smith, BCG.

Calipari, Drew(?).

It seems we follow a predictable pattern: superstar, solid, drunk.

I think Drew is a great coach. Has the ability to win a title here, but I’m not convinced he’s a multiple Final Four or titles guy. In essence, I think his resume here could resemble Tubby’s. Admittedly, I’m not sure we give Tubby due credit sometimes, especially after seeing what BCG and the last 5 years of Cal have been.

How do we feel if Drew is the guy and he brings us sustained, modest success but doesn’t crack multiple FFs?

(Full disclosure, I’m ‘fine’ with Drew, but was/am hoping for the home run instead of the triple.)
Drew is a jar of mayonnaise. For Barnhart, Stoops was a "safe" hire ... just like Drew, another "safe" hire. It's all about making Barnhart's job safe and easy and has nothing to do with reaching for excellence. Damned disappointing.

Reactions: dl51344
Legit question. Why do you think we can just snag the back-to-back natty winning coach away from the school he is at?
I have no idea if UK can or not

but why do you think we shouldn't offer before Drew?

they keep showing the records he has in the big 12 at baylor with baylor resources. plus everyone had a fair crack of it when he won during the covid year. It was fews time to win it then and drew beat him.

Drew has been more than fine at Baylor. He'll be better here. And much better than we have had for a decade.

Reactions: sefus12
How do you know UK didn’t reach out to Hurley or his people and got a definitive no?
you're just going in circles now

I think I was pretty clear - UK should go after Hurley first, if he says no, then go after Drew unless Donovan thru back channels commits to the job, and even then Donovan has backed out

But at the end of the day, I don't think anyone has any belief that Drew would perform better than Hurley in a head to head comparison

If it gets out that UK never offered Hurley and went straight to Drew, then every win or loss will not be a referendum on Scott Drew, it will be on Mitch Barnhart

you're just going in circles now

I think I was pretty clear - UK should go after Hurley first, if he says no, then go after Drew unless Donovan thru back channels commits to the job, and even then Donovan has backed out

But at the end of the day, I don't think anyone has any belief that Drew would perform better than Hurley in a head to head comparison

If it gets out that UK never offered Hurley and went straight to Drew, then every win or loss will not be a referendum on Scott Drew, it will be on Mitch Barnhart
I’m not talking in circles. I’m asking how you/we know that UK didn’t reach out to Hurley and his folks to gauge interest, only to be told that Hurley didn’t want to leave? We don’t know that. I’m not Mitch but I’d bet it’s more likely than not that he reached out to several coaches to gauge interest and then proceeded based on responses.

I’m not talking in circles. I’m asking how you/we know that UK didn’t reach out to Hurley and his folks to gauge interest, only to be told that Hurley didn’t want to leave? We don’t know that. I’m not Mitch but I’d bet it’s more likely than not that he reached out to several coaches to gauge interest and then proceeded based on responses.
I agree we don't know that

but why ask the question? If Drew has the offer less than 48 hours after UConn won the national championship then I find it highly unlikely that Kentucky offered Hurley or that Hurley had adequate time to properly evaluate the offer.

All we're saying is offer Hurley first and don't rush to hire Drew because he appears to be the safe choice

Same here. I have watch him and thought how glad I was that he was not ky coach.

Last edited:
Same here. I have watch him and thought how glad I was that he was not ky coach.
You didn't enjoy winning a National Championship or having the winningest team in college basketball for a good portion of Tubby's years? Or all those high seeds and conference titles and tourney titles?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT