ADVERTISEMENT

Donavan, Drew, Hurley, Oats, Wright; who’s your preference?…

Who do you want to be coach?

• Billy Donavan

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Scott Drew

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Dan Hurley

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • Nate Oates

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • Jay Wright

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Other…

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
I think Billy D and Wright didn’t like dealing with “handlers” or whatever you call them that worked like agents for the top hs kids. They wouldn’t really have too anymore with nil and the portal imo

Reactions: jrpross
Gotta see if Brad Stevens has any interest. Unlikely, but you gotta ask.
As a Celtics fan. I doubt it. He’s a genius when it comes to X’s and O’s and clearly developed players at Butler but I don’t think he’s built for UK.

He kinda folded when things got tough for Boston after Kyrie, Hayward, and Horford left.

I'm just wondering how dead set everyone is on "their" pick to be the next coach?

Everybody wanting Donovan and end up with Oates, how disappointed are you?

There's way too many names being thrown out here on the board, there's obviously no consensus on who the fan base wants.

Instead of naming who I'd want, I just want to know the search is conducted thoroughly. I'm apprehensive about choosing the next coach based on the success that that coach had with his last team. I don't subscribe to the theory that just because a coach had success some where else that he'll have immediate success here.

At Kentucky you're going to be expected to get some top recruits, how will that affect the coaching style of a coach who has won at other programs with less recruiting "names"?

For example, it's one thing to take 3-star recruits and teach them how to be better ball players. How willing are 5-star recruits going to be to listen to their coach? And how willing is the fan-base going to be to accept 3-star recruits? I know I'm generalizing here, but that doesn't mean there's not some element of truth in this.

That doesn't mean that a coach that's had success with another program can't come to Kentucky and have the same success or more. But that's not my sole reason for wanting that coach.

You know he is the forgotten one in this listing. 47 years old and is the current state of the Celtics keeping him interested?
I didn’t include him because of how well the Celtics are doing and how good a fit he seems where he’s at. But I also agree it wouldn’t hurt to call.

Reactions: KMKAT
Question 1: When do you -- the ever-complaining fan -- see yourself as the kid misbehaving in public?

All top coaches should be called. Its up to Mitch to prioritize.

Fact is, he should have had a list he's been updating annually.

1. Hurley
2. Oats
3. Wright
4. Donovan
5. Drew

Put Hurley and Oats over Wright and BD because they're active coaches and could bring players with them. Wright and Donovan have been out of the game for a few years or a decade, so they drop down.

Drew would be a safety net if the first 4 turn us down.

Last edited:
Reactions: know1 and jrpross
I became a fan while Rupp was still coach and every sober coach since has won a championship. Sutton and Clyde
went from functioning alcoholics to non-functioning alcoholics under the spotlight. Any of them that aren't drunks are likely to be an improvement. We need a coach that gets his jollies not from spirits but from crushing other coaches' spirits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT