ADVERTISEMENT

Does UL really deserve a top 25 ranking?

RogerIndy

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2002
We have beaten them 5 years in a row (not counting COVID year when we didn't play), and none of them were close. Have they really come back now with Brohm? (I think that his name). I never understand the writer's love of Louisville.

• Haha
Reactions: rockycard
They have a good team and should do well with their schedule, they were ranked last year so I guess that helps. Not saying you but too many people get caught up in the rankings early in the season and it’s hard for anyone to know about most teams who play a bunch of scrubs. We’ll find out more about ours earlier than most on Sat but as of now my only concern about UL is at the end of Nov in Commonwealth.

A3BA1448-DF7A-4F17-9322-EB3534E25172-481.gif

They can do less than any team and be ranked, how, I don't know. It seems like the pollsters want them to be ranked, so they go ahead and rank them regardless of who they play.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Wouldn't it be fun to dash their playoff hopes if they are in consideration for that at the end of the year? Hopefully we have playoff hopes on the line too. Would make that game HUUUUGE!

Games from 5 years ago are irrelevant in relation to this year.

They beat an FCS by 60. They looked good and did what they were supposed to do. They get the benefit of the doubt because they stacked wins last year. That's important to voters.

We beat a low level FBS team 31-0 in about a half. We looked good and did what we were supposed to do. Plus, we beat uofl last year.

I would say we should be ranked even with what's happened in week 1 in voter's eyes.

Unfortunately, next week, they play another poor opponent and will win by a ton. We will play an SEC school and should win.

Two wins against 2 FBS teams, 1 being SEC should push us up above a 2 win uofl against 2 bad opponents, but voters won't care.

A lot of voters use tradition or last year's results in early season voting. They also don't like to be wrong which is why some teams keep losing but remain in the polls.

We have beaten them 5 years in a row (not counting COVID year when we didn't play), and none of them were close. Have they really come back now with Brohm? (I think that his name). I never understand the writer's love of Louisville.
They are definitely a top 25 team. Well coached- and the quarterback they got from Texas Tech will put up big numbers, provided that he can stay healthy- and he has never been able to avoid injury.

Last year was close. But of course they do! They slaughtered a power house Austin Peay team in Louisville Saturday!

Go Big Blue!

Brohm is a solid coach and they won't be any easier to beat this year than they were last year. I despise UofL, always have. But they've been digging their way out of the beatdown streak and eventually they will (obviously, as with any rivalry) beat us again. Just hope it isn't this year, or next, or the year after that, etc. Glad we get them in Commonwealth this season.

Reactions: JASUN74
Top 25 not even 2 weeks in doesn't mean a whole lot.

It's essentially based largely on last season's finish, chalk projections of obvious top tier programs, and style points from week one.

Top of conference finish previous season + week one blowout + not enough data so early into season = top 25 team

They'll probably blow out Jackson St, sniff around top 20-15, but after that reality will set in. I'm not saying they have an SEC schedule, but they don't have a cake walk. Ga Tech who is no longer a gimme, and Notre Dame who is a legit play-off team, back-to-back. Then down the road later in the season they have Miami, BC, Clemson, and us.

That's at least 6 games that will be tough. Who knows with the way the ACC is trending, there may be another surprise team that pops up and knocks people off their perch.

Ideally, they'd be top 25 and in the ACC picture when we play them so it's a big game, gets a good prime time slot, and helps us make a case for good bowl or maybe play off after we beat them.

Reactions: The-Hack
I guess you forgot the game last year was tied with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game and UK won by 7. In 2022 UK won by 13 so the games have been getting closer. However the past games and even the rivalry have nothing to do with what is happening this year. Honestly most of us didn’t expect to make in the rankings this week. However a 2nd loss for FSU I would say helped us get into the rankings.

As far as our shcedule we still have to play @ Notre Dame & @ Clemson and then have Miami and Georgia Tech at home. All four teams are currently ranked with Notre Dame being in the top 10 and Miami could be top 10 by the time we play them. Clemson I expect to win their next few games and move back up in the rankings. Georgia Tech will probably also move up a couple spots by that game time.

Nobody should be ranked until after week 4. But it makes for good tv I guess. Rankings mean Jack any more. Show me the 25 best teams in America this week….is Louisville one because they beat a nobody team in week one? If that’s the criteria then rankings should be 1-75.

Good thing is we get to see which team is better at the end of the season. UofL has come into this game with a better W/L record 3 of the last 4 meetings. Thanks in large part to their much easier schedule/conference.

The question of whether they deserve the ranking is meaningless. Different voters use different criteria to determine rankings. UofL current has enough votes to be ranked... so they deserve to be ranked. Are they a top-25 team... not to us, but we aren't exactly unbiased.

Coaches and even sportswriters polls are just weird … you’ve got to figure that, all things being equal, the coaches are going to favor the best teams in their conference when they cast their vote. Same for sportswriters - all things being equal, they are going to vote for the teams in the region or conference they cover.

With the SEC having so many top teams like Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etcetera, the participating coaches and writers outside of the SEC are going to start the year by picking their favorite schools and also including some of the top SEC schools. This just means that UK starts the season without the respect it deserves and has to earn votes with performance on the field, winning big games like the one this week.

Reactions: Girthang
UL goes 5-7 with our schedule, and we go 10-2 with their’s.
Okay I will play this game

UofL with UK’s schedule
vs USM- W
vs South Carolina-W
vs Georgia-L
vs Ohio- W
@ Ole Miss-L
vs Vandy-W
@ Florida-W ( I just don’t think they are very good)
vs Auburn- W since it a home game
@ Tenn-L
vs Murray-W
@ Texas-L
@UK-W (We Break the streak finally)

So that’s 8-4 but some games I am on the fence about so it could be 6-6 to 9-3. Not totally sold on Tenn but being the home team I gave them the win. Ole Miss I leaned more towards the loss but an upset is possible. Auburn is probably closest to a toss up but went with the win since we are the home team.

UK with UofLs schedule
vs Austin Peay-W
Vs Jacksonville St- W
vs Georgia Tech-W
@ Notre Dame-L
vs SMU-W
@ Virginia-W
vs Miami- L
@BC-L
@ Clemson-L
@ Stanford-W
vs Pitt-W
vs UofL-L

So I got UK at 7-5 but again some games I am really on the fence about and they could go either way. I think UK matches up better against ACC teams more so than SEC teams. Like I am not totally sold on GT & BC but BC has been a tough place for us to play. Clemson are they really that bad ? So some of those could flip so I will say anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2.

• Haha

Need viewers for their games. It's always about money. No reason to think they're less disappointing than any of the previous 5 years. The problem is the conference doesn't have a clear cut front runner. They have to hype someone from the ACC in hopes they can get 2 teams into the playoff.

Media voting doesn't change much this early on. Most media will vote their teams up until they tank completely. UK has never had a loyal media backing

Last edited:
Who cares? We shouldn't give the Cards fans the satisfaction we care. The only time I care is on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Okay I will play this game

UofL with UK’s schedule
vs USM- W
vs South Carolina-W
vs Georgia-L
vs Ohio- W
@ Ole Miss-L
vs Vandy-W
@ Florida-W ( I just don’t think they are very good)
vs Auburn- W since it a home game
@ Tenn-L
vs Murray-W
@ Texas-L
@UK-W (We Break the streak finally)

So that’s 8-4 but some games I am on the fence about so it could be 6-6 to 9-3. Not totally sold on Tenn but being the home team I gave them the win. Ole Miss I leaned more towards the loss but an upset is possible. Auburn is probably closest to a toss up but went with the win since we are the home team.

UK with UofLs schedule
vs Austin Peay-W
Vs Jacksonville St- W
vs Georgia Tech-W
@ Notre Dame-L
vs SMU-W
@ Virginia-W
vs Miami- L
@BC-L
@ Clemson-L
@ Stanford-W
vs Pitt-W
vs UofL-L

So I got UK at 7-5 but again some games I am really on the fence about and they could go either way. I think UK matches up better against ACC teams more so than SEC teams. Like I am not totally sold on GT & BC but BC has been a tough place for us to play. Clemson are they really that bad ? So some of those could flip so I will say anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2.
You are probably being a little generous to Louisville and a little tough on Kentucky, leaving aside the head to head game. I'm not betting on Louisville beating Auburn and I'm not thinking UK loses to Boston College.

I disagree with the direct match up, too, but, at least, that's no hypothetical game. We'll see exactly what happens.

You are probably being a little generous to Louisville and a little tough on Kentucky, leaving aside the head to head game. I'm not betting on Louisville beating Auburn and I'm not thinking UK loses to Boston College.

I disagree with the direct match up, too, but, at least, that's no hypothetical game. We'll see exactly what happens.
Also UL picked a good year to finally play Clemson. They are not very good. I the hypothetical game, UK would win, and in the actual game, uavel might win too.

Reactions: Girthang

It's funny that any team with a 5 game win streak against another team would consistently be not only an underdog in every game, but also ranked lower to start and end almost every year they beat the same team. If anyone was looking at the matchup of UK vs UL objectively, they wouldn't assume UL wins the game, much less that UL would do better with the same schedule as UK. It's just silly.

If UL played Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee EVERY YEAR plus either an Auburn, LSU, Bama, or Mississippi team or two, I doubt they'd have the high opinion of themselves they have, nor would they be playing in conf title games. NO ONE in this country with any brains (and without a dog in the hunt) believes an ACC schedule compares to an SEC schedule.

No one in THEIR CONFERENCE has a 5 game losing streak against a team that's finished outside of the top 25 rankings 4 out of the last 5 years. It's likely no one has a 5 game losing streak against UL within that conference, and if they did wouldn't believe for a minute that they'd be able to switch schedules with that team they lost to and have better results within their conference. It's ludicrous

Reactions: UKFBFan78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT