ADVERTISEMENT

Does the silence have any meaning?

Adou isn't coming back. You don't have a list like he does and come back IMO. It's about who pays him the most and who will guarantee him 30 to 35 minutes a gamethink he's looking for IMO.
My opinion on Adou. Nil is probably an issue, but I don't think guaranteed minutes are, just a fair shot and not being a whipping boy. This is all Calipari!!!

I think with them, it's a lot like the run Scott Drew went on, when he had Butler, Teague, and Vital. Drew hasn't been able to replicate it since. I'd like to see what Hurley can do, although he lost his best players after 21/22, then won it all and lost his best players again, and is now on the precipice again. I am curious how he navigates the roster for next year. He has hit big with Hawkins, Newton, Spencer, Castle, and Clingan so far.
Can you even imagine how good Reed would be if Cal would run the sets Hurley runs for Spencer???? The fact that Cal appears to not even know a double screen play exists drives me up the wall.

Thiero declared for the draft AND entered the Transfer Portal IMMEDIATELY AFTER meeting with Cal.

What do you think Cal told Thiero????
american gladiators pain GIF

You say that like a Kentucky fan. Adou is a college basketball player with a meager connection to the coach, who wants to play his way into the league and make some NIL money. There are many schools that could be attractive to him outside of those three, if they offer that combination of incentives.
I say it as someone applying logic.

I highly doubt he is looking to step down in levels. Based on his list, AZ and Uconn are the only other top schools, with Creighton being legit as well. AZ is a west coast school. That seems like an unlikely choice. Creighton is also a good bit further from Philly than UK is. So, again, that doesn't seem practical. UCONN is closer to home and a good program, but will they be as good the next 2 years if they lose a lot from this team.

He is a fan favorite here. He should be able to make good NIL money if they get that figured out. He started in 16 of the 21 games he played this year. His minutes doubled from his first year, so there is reason to believe they will continue to rise. He seems to be developing very well.

Not sure what the incentive is to transfer.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
I say it as someone applying logic.

I highly doubt he is looking to step down in levels. Based on his list, AZ and Uconn are the only other top schools, with Creighton being legit as well. AZ is a west coast school. That seems like an unlikely choice. Creighton is also a good bit further from Philly than UK is. So, again, that doesn't seem practical. UCONN is closer to home and a good program, but will they be as good the next 2 years if they lose a lot from this team.

He is a fan favorite here. He should be able to make good NIL money if they get that figured out. He started in 16 of the 21 games he played this year. His minutes doubled from his first year, so there is reason to believe they will continue to rise. He seems to be developing very well.

Not sure what the incentive is to transfer.
My uneducated guess s he transfered for some reason with either coaches or players . Most likely coaches . Most likely Cal. Which means I doubt he will be back . But again I have no inside info and could be totally wrong .

But when someone has had considerable playing time and should have more next year that obviously is not the reason. .
Another reason could be he realizes that even if he gets his playing time with Cals devotion to freshmen h won’t be playing on a team capable of making a run in March . Same reason that even if Sheppard wanted to come back he won’t . Why come back to a team coached by a guy whose priority is to get freshmen to the NBA rather than winning championships.

Unless we can offer some big-time NIL money we aren't gonna get any big-time portal guys.if they are really good most of the big programs will take them. Come here and you have to deal with Cals need to play his freshman. He HAS to play them or else his whole model collapses Add the animosity and vitriol surrounding our coach and our lack of oncourt success, other than money WHY would an established player come here?

My uneducated guess s he transfered for some reason with either coaches or players . Most likely coaches . Most likely Cal. Which means I doubt he will be back . But again I have no inside info and could be totally wrong .

But when someone has had considerable playing time and should have more next year that obviously is not the reason. .
Another reason could be he realizes that even if he gets his playing time with Cals devotion to freshmen h won’t be playing on a team capable of making a run in March . Same reason that even if Sheppard wanted to come back he won’t . Why come back to a team coached by a guy whose priority is to get freshmen to the NBA rather than winning championships.
Bingo. No way Cal is winning anything next year, or ever again.

Reactions: TFCats11
Reed ain’t coming back, he would be foolish to come. His draft is never gonna be better than it is now, and the draft class is bad this year. Wagner I could see coming back but o ultimately thing he is like every other guy that comes here and will somehow get a late first guarentee because of connections and get drafted. But either way cal cannot sit out and wait for their decisions. He either gets a up front answer from them or he goes and finds somebody in the portal, the waiting until the last minute bs has to stop

I do think this weak draft will help his chances to land in the top10, and this might be his best and only chance to do that.

But, I think there's a potential problem for him with jumping to the NBA too early. I think there's a chance that waiting a year, growing his game and confidence, even if it means going in the late teens.. is better than going 10th in this years draft. I'm not sure he's ready to lead a team like, say, Houston at this point, and that's what a team drafting in the lottery is looking for: their franchise piece. If he's not ready for that (which I think is a very likely concern for him), getting that 2nd contract might be tough. The NBA might give him a pretty good thumping, and that can throw players off for years. Some never come back from jumping too early.

He and his camp knows that he has an NBA-ready game and IQ, maybe just not quite ready with his body and a bit of his confidence. So the NBA will be there. But he could work on those weaknesses, and maybe be better situated for life in the pros if he goes in next years draft. And falling from day 10th to 18th has some positive, if that were to happen. You'd be going to a franchise that already has talent, and he could be eased into the lineup.

Idk, I just sort of get the sense that he's still more of a "kid" at this point, than a guy like Wall or SGA or even a Herro. Herro is actually a decent comp here in terms of readiness and recruiting ranking. Something about Herro's demeanor and aggressiveness said "I'm ready for the NBA". He took over the game as much as he could, something we didn't always see from Reed. Which I think he will get there, but it might just be another year.

Tl:Dr - I think Reed could benefit from one more year and that he's probably jumping to the NBA just a little bit too early.

Remember, the real goal here, with any player who aspires to be in the NBA.. is to get that 2nd and 3rd contract. Getting the 1st one is great, but you want it to be what opens the door to the next contract.. not just get that rookie deal as fast as possible, if it means you risking your future NBA career if you jump too early.

Guys like Wall and Cousins had no risk of going to the draft after 1 year. They werent going to get drafted higher, and their games were built on youthful athleticism. The risk for them is if they DIDNT go after 1 year (injury, exposed, losing a year of their elite athleticism).. I believe Reeds situation is kind of the opposite of theirs. The risk for him is going too early. The NBA is always going to have a place for someone with his shooting ability and IQ. Reed isn't really risking much if he waits a year or two. Time doesn't erode those assets/abilities like it does for speed and verticals.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
I do think this weak draft will help his chances to land in the top10, and this might be his best and only chance to do that.

But, I think there's a potential problem for him with jumping to the NBA too early. I think there's a chance that waiting a year, growing his game and confidence, even if it means going in the late teens.. is better than going 10th in this years draft. I'm not sure he's ready to lead a team like, say, Houston at this point, and that's what a team drafting in the lottery is looking for: their franchise piece. If he's not ready for that (which I think is a very likely concern for him), getting that 2nd contract might be tough. The NBA might give him a pretty good thumping, and that can throw players off for years. Some never come back from jumping too early.

He and his camp knows that he has an NBA-ready game and IQ, maybe just not quite ready with his body and a bit of his confidence. So the NBA will be there. But he could work on those weaknesses, and maybe be better situated for life in the pros if he goes in next years draft. And falling from day 10th to 18th has some positive, if that were to happen. You'd be going to a franchise that already has talent, and he could be eased into the lineup.

Idk, I just sort of get the sense that he's still more of a "kid" at this point, than a guy like Wall or SGA or even a Herro. Herro is actually a decent comp here in terms of readiness and recruiting ranking. Something about Herro's demeanor and aggressiveness said "I'm ready for the NBA". He took over the game as much as he could, something we didn't always see from Reed. Which I think he will get there, but it might just be another year.

Tl:Dr - I think Reed could benefit from one more year and that he's probably jumping to the NBA just a little bit too early.
Agree, I just think at the end of the day they won’t pass on the top ten potentially opportunity

This is the the feel I have for the situations
Reed-draft
Wagner-50/50 but probably goes draft
Edwards-draft
Theiro- comes back but not confident
Ugo-transfer
Bradshaw- transfer
Z- comes back, but not high confidence
Either way cal should be operating under the assumption that these guys are gone and go get guys in the portal instead of waiting to long like he has in the past. Go get 2 guards from the portal, the pope guy from Oregon state and another guard like Davis or like the one from Oklahoma with fland would be perfect. Re-recruit theiro or find somebody else, and go on all on omoruyi and a big in case he chooses elsewhere
This scenario would be horrible. If we don't return one of Wagner and/or Edwards, then it is a failure. If we get Big Z back, along with one of Wagner, Edwards, or Reed, along with another surprise like Thierro coming back, I will take it.

Agree, I just think at the end of the day they won’t pass on the top ten potentially opportunity

Yeah if that's where he goes.. maybe you don't mess with that. You're almost guaranteed 10 mil. I think where it gets tricky is if he falls a bit in the mocks to the mid teens or even the early 20s.. which I do think is possible.

I look at it this way. Would an NBA lottery team be happy drafting *this* version of Reed that we had at UK? The one that can put up 25 one night and then sort of look lost/apprehensive the next night? I'm not so sure. I think they'd choose to get someone more ready to help their team compete. And I think that's the sort of feed back he's going to receive.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Yeah if that's where he goes.. maybe you don't mess with that. You're almost guaranteed 10 mil. I think where it gets tricky is if he falls a bit in the mocks to the mid teens or even the early 20s.. which I do think is possible.

I look at it this way. Would an NBA lottery team be happy drafting *this* version of Reed that we had at UK? The one that can put up 25 one night and then sort of look lost/apprehensive the next night? I'm not so sure. I think they'd choose to get someone more ready to help their team compete. And I think that's the sort of feed back he's going to receive.
If we want to dream a little, get Reed back.
Go get Tyson, Blackmon/davis from the portal and omoruyi. And go Reed Davis/blackmon, Tyson, quantwince and omoruyi, or mix it up and that is a really good team

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Well thought out post. A friend (my age) and I compared Sheppard to Kyle Macy in terms of the NBA. My grandson and I were talking about the same subject but he had no idea who Macy was so I used Herro as an alternative to Macy. My grandson thought Sheppard would be a better pro than Herro and I thought just the opposite. From a physical standpoint Sheppard need another year in college. Do you have thoughts on Sheppard vs Macy vs Herro?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Well thought out post. A friend (my age) and I compared Sheppard to Kyle Macy in terms of the NBA. My grandson and I were talking about the same subject but he had no idea who Macy was so I used Herro as an alternative to Macy. My grandson thought Sheppard would be a better pro than Herro and I thought just the opposite. From a physical standpoint Sheppard need another year in college. Do you have thoughts on Sheppard vs Macy vs Herro?

There are far better basketball minds here than me, who can answer that question. Macy was before my time so I cant really comment on him, But in regards to Herro, Tyler is obviously a true SG, and a few inches taller. But, Herro seemingly has a cap on his NBA potential. As in, I don't see him ever cracking the top10 in the SG ranks. This is probably about the best version of Tyler we will see and I think that's more of a 3rd or 4th option on a team.

I think while Sheppard isn't quite as ready for the NBA at the same juncture as Herro... I do think he has higher potential. He's a combo guard, who can clearly play on or off the ball. I think if he gets that confidence up, uses a year to build more of an NBA body, he COULD be that 2nd option/franchise player on a team, maybe flirting with NBA All-team honors some years. I think hes kind of a rich mans Divenchenzo or even Jalen Brunson: Guys who can shoot well, good leaders, not very great defenders, high IQ. They aren't in the PG mold of guys like Westbrook, Wall or Ja, who will break you down with their speed and athleticism.. they are much more crafty, in part, because they kind of have to be.

There are far better basketball minds here than me, who can answer that question. Macy was before my time so I cant really comment on him, But in regards to Herro, Tyler is obviously a true SG, and a few inches taller. But, Herro seemingly has a cap on his NBA potential. As in, I don't see him ever cracking the top10 in the SG ranks. This is probably about the best version of Tyler we will see and I think that's more of a 3rd or 4th option on a team.

I think while Sheppard isn't quite as ready for the NBA at the same juncture as Herro... I do think he has higher potential. He's a combo guard, who can clearly play on or off the ball. I think if he gets that confidence up, uses a year to build more of an NBA body, he COULD be that 2nd option/franchise player on a team, maybe flirting with NBA All-team honors some years. I think hes kind of a rich mans Divenchenzo or even Jalen Brunson: Guys who can shoot well, good leaders, not very great defenders, high IQ. They aren't in the PG mold of guys like Westbrook, Wall or Ja, who will break you down with their speed and athleticism.. they are much more crafty, in part, because they kind of have to be.
Agree on all counts, Macy had Sheppard's basketball IQ and they were similar when it comes to shooting, Sheppard probably the better athlete. One more year in college would show a bit more of what Sheppard is or isn't and if he can overcome his lack of size in the NBA

I find it odd when players enter the portal early, will never be in the NBA, then quickly sign with a team that has no chance or only a slight chance of even making the NCAAT.
How much NIL could there possibly.be?
The kid from South Dakota State signing with Kansas makes sense especially since he is from there.

Reed Smith or Reed Johnson or Reed Douglas wouldn't come back. But Reed SHEPPARD has a chance to come back.

I know the draft is weak ... and if he comes back there is no guarantee he is a Lottery Pick. But after he goes through the Draft workouts, there is no guarantee he is a Lottery Pick this year. We have only heard online scuttlebutt. I think he will be a decent pro, but is he No. 5 in the Draft good? No way - at least not yet.

He can come back, get stronger, but a mega superstar, be an All-American, improve, still get drafted next year and make a boat ton of NIL money while doing it.

Reactions: docholiday51
Obviously he still will, but Rob hasn’t even announced yet to my knowledge.

My assumption is Cal knows the players decisions already. They announce them at various times due to NIL agreements, advice of their agents, timing with the semester, etc.

The key as always is the definitive answers. The Adou might return, the guys “going through the process” type decisions are the worst.
I could have sworn that Rob declared before Adou went to portal. Then after Adou made his portal announcement, there was a graphic on roster movement showing Reeves and Tre with no more eligibility. Rob draft bound and Thiero in Portal.
Fake news? Bad dream? I can’t find it now.
I’d take Dilly back in a heartbeat.

honestly the day NIL became law is the day the ncaa division one basketball stopped.
It’s free agency and professional ball now. The records, the accomplishments, titles, etc all should have stopped on that day and a new league with new records and stuff been announced.

Reactions: docholiday51
So if UK kids under Cal do not go to Ark. to be with Cal, and they do not stay at UK, what would that
say to you? Do you think will that happen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT