ADVERTISEMENT

Does the silence have any meaning?

fredmanthecatfan

All-American
Apr 23, 2002
Rob has declared.
Theiro has entered portal (and testing draft waters).
We’ve heard nothing from anyone else.
I assumed others would be leaving. But the longer nothing is said makes me wonder if we have several unexpected returning players. I guess it’s still early, but the portal is already active. Reed is the only obvious first rounder other than Rob. I’ve heard nothing about anyone. Just stating to make me wonder.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Obviously he still will, but Rob hasn’t even announced yet to my knowledge.

My assumption is Cal knows the players decisions already. They announce them at various times due to NIL agreements, advice of their agents, timing with the semester, etc.

The key as always is the definitive answers. The Adou might return, the guys “going through the process” type decisions are the worst.

I want so badly to be positive. But over the years, Cal has beaten all positivity out of me. I'm just mushy pulp at this point driven into submission while my once proud program languishes in mediocrity.

How's that for over-the-top pessimism?

My assumption is Cal knows the players decisions already. They announce them at various times due to NIL agreements, advice of their agents, timing with the semester, etc.

The key as always is the definitive answers. The Adou might return, the guys “going through the process” type decisions are the worst.

Adou isn't coming back. You don't have a list like he does and come back IMO. It's about who pays him the most and who will guarantee him 30 to 35 minutes a game IMO.

Rob has declared.
I assumed others would be leaving. But the longer nothing is said makes me wonder if we have several unexpected returning players. I guess it’s still early, but the portal is already active. Reed is the only obvious first rounder other than Rob. I’ve heard nothing about anyone. Just stating to make me wonder.
when did he declare? have not seen anything about it

Reactions: Cats192
I am a little surprised we haven't heard anything yet, especially with the new transfer rules where these guys could find a new spot pretty easily.. along with how bad that loss to Oakland was.

On the latter, it is possible that the players and staff didn't have as big of a problem with Cal as the fans did. We THINK Reed and Dilly were unhappy with not starting, but we don't really know that. Bradshaw for example, seemed to be more than fine not getting g a ton of minutes towards the end, saying something like "I just want to win, I'll do whatever is needed".

All that is to say, maybe these players didn't have a problem with how things were handled, and aren't necessarily rushing to leave? Maybe that's just my optimistic take.

Adou isn't coming back. You don't have a list like he does and come back IMO. It's about who pays him the most and who will guarantee him 30 to 35 minutes a game IMO.
His list isn't that good. AZ, Creighton and Uconn are the only teams worth considering. UCONN would likely be the only threat.

His list isn't that good. AZ, Creighton and Uconn are the only teams worth considering. UCONN would likely be the only threat.
Gonna lose my mind if he goes to Uconn and stars in a FF run while we get bounced in the first weekend again.

Need to surround Cals house with torches and pitchforks if that happens. Take it out of Mitch’s soft hands. 😄

Got myself a little mad just typing that out. 😆

Rob has declared.
I hadn't seen where Rob declared.

Gonna lose my mind if he goes to Uconn and stars in a FF run while we get bounced in the first weekend again.

Need to surround Cals house with torches and pitchforks if that happens. Take it out of Mitch’s soft hands. 😄

Got myself a little mad just typing that out. 😆
Uconn should lose a decent amount off this team. Not saying it's impossible, but making a 3rd F4 in a row isn't likely.

Uconn couldn't get Ugo last year. I'm not sure if it's a NIL thing or what, but they don't seem to target big name players.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Rob has declared.
I think it was a mistake because it got deleted or people weren’t suppose to see it but the portal report thing had ugo & Bradshaw listed in it

I really hope this is the year we see something new but every year it has been the same. We will have one or 2 returning players. Even kids we all know need another year will leave. Looking at Edwards and DJ in particular. Most other schools would return most of this team. That’s the culture that was created here and one person is responsible for that.

I think it was a mistake because it got deleted or people weren’t suppose to see it but the portal report thing had ugo & Bradshaw listed in it
I think that makes the most sense of the bigs. I think Bradshaw wants a fresh start and maybe a less physical conference. I think UGO wants a place that will play through him more. (Not sure that place exists for him though.)

Z can't go through the process again. So it's all or nothing for him. I think he is the one with the highest upside and I think his and Somto's skill sets will compliment each other. I also think Z could play at the 4 some because of his skills. It makes the most sense for him to stay.

I think that makes the most sense of the bigs. I think Bradshaw wants a fresh start and maybe a less physical conference. I think UGO wants a place that will play through him more. (Not sure that place exists for him though.)

Z can't go through the process again. So it's all or nothing for him. I think he is the one with the highest upside and I think his and Somto's skill sets will compliment each other. I also think Z could play at the 4 some because of his skills. It makes the most sense for him to stay.
This is the the feel I have for the situations
Reed-draft
Wagner-50/50 but probably goes draft
Edwards-draft
Theiro- comes back but not confident
Ugo-transfer
Bradshaw- transfer
Z- comes back, but not high confidence
Either way cal should be operating under the assumption that these guys are gone and go get guys in the portal instead of waiting to long like he has in the past. Go get 2 guards from the portal, the pope guy from Oregon state and another guard like Davis or like the one from Oklahoma with fland would be perfect. Re-recruit theiro or find somebody else, and go on all on omoruyi and a big in case he chooses elsewhere

This is the the feel I have for the situations
Reed-draft
Wagner-50/50 but probably goes draft
Edwards-draft
Theiro- comes back but not confident
Ugo-transfer
Bradshaw- transfer
Z- comes back, but not high confidence
Either way cal should be operating under the assumption that these guys are gone and go get guys in the portal instead of waiting to long like he has in the past. Go get 2 guards from the portal, the pope guy from Oregon state and another guard like Davis or like the one from Oklahoma with fland would be perfect. Re-recruit theiro or find somebody else, and go on all on omoruyi and a big in case he chooses elsewhere
I actually think Reed and Wagner come back.

Wagner is at best a 2nd rounder. He can improve that a lot with another year.

Reed is going to declare with the option to come back. When he goes through individual workouts, his stock is going to drop out of the lottery. He is just too slow physically currently to have success at that level. I think he knows it, his parents know it, and the coaches know it. He will still get a solid 1st contract now, but he will never see a 2nd one. And he will spend most of his career in the G league.

Edwards and Dilly are gone.

I think Thiero comes back as well.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I actually think Reed and Wagner come back.

Wagner is at best a 2nd rounder. He can improve that a lot with another year.

Reed is going to declare with the option to come back. When he goes through individual workouts, his stock is going to drop out of the lottery. He is just too slow physically currently to have success at that level. I think he knows it, his parents know it, and the coaches know it. He will still get a solid 1st contract now, but he will never see a 2nd one. And he will spend most of his career in the G league.

Edwards and Dilly are gone.

I think Thiero comes back as well.
Reed ain’t coming back, he would be foolish to come. His draft is never gonna be better than it is now, and the draft class is bad this year. Wagner I could see coming back but o ultimately thing he is like every other guy that comes here and will somehow get a late first guarentee because of connections and get drafted. But either way cal cannot sit out and wait for their decisions. He either gets a up front answer from them or he goes and finds somebody in the portal, the waiting until the last minute bs has to stop

Reactions: Dirt Court King
I don’t think Reed will come back because his parents and reed know cal is not going to change and no reason to come back to a mediocre team . If cal would commit to find four Talented seniors to
Play with reed and put us in the hunt he may . But cal won’t do that

Reactions: IbnSaran

Yep. And I don’t see Calipari providing any assurances to him bc he’s already provided assurances to the 17 incoming freshman he has coming on board.

I know Reed and his family “don’t care about money” but I’d be flabbergasted if he returned. Not only to pass up $20 million dollars but return to play for a coach who isn’t a good coach? Playing another year under Cal (and coming off the bench again so as not to hurt other players feelings) will only cause Reed to fall in the draft. I genuinely think it would be a disservice to his game to play under Calipari again.

What exactly would he be gaining by returning? They lost the first round of the tournament to Fu€king OAKLAND 💀

Reed ain’t coming back, he would be foolish to come. His draft is never gonna be better than it is now, and the draft class is bad this year. Wagner I could see coming back but o ultimately thing he is like every other guy that comes here and will somehow get a late first guarentee because of connections and get drafted. But either way cal cannot sit out and wait for their decisions. He either gets a up front answer from them or he goes and finds somebody in the portal, the waiting until the last minute bs has to stop

I'm glad to see you say that Reed is definitely gone since you said UK was definitely not making the NCAA tournament and doubed down on it through the thread.

Means we have a chance with Reed !!

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
I really hope this is the year we see something new but every year it has been the same. We will have one or 2 returning players. Even kids we all know need another year will leave. Looking at Edwards and DJ in particular. Most other schools would return most of this team. That’s the culture that was created here and one person is responsible for that.

What the hell is Fatest?

Rob has declared.
Obviously we all like to know and care about their decisions. We know they are very important decisions. As toxic as the environment is at times they probably are better off not to say anything until they know what they are going to do for sure. Viruses are contagious and we don't need a transfer virus running through our team.

For your consideration:

After you make an obvious speculation, don't react to it as if it were truth. I don't think there's something called "conditional anger".

Uconn should lose a decent amount off this team. Not saying it's impossible, but making a 3rd F4 in a row isn't likely.

Uconn couldn't get Ugo last year. I'm not sure if it's a NIL thing or what, but they don't seem to target big name players.

I think with them, it's a lot like the run Scott Drew went on, when he had Butler, Teague, and Vital. Drew hasn't been able to replicate it since. I'd like to see what Hurley can do, although he lost his best players after 21/22, then won it all and lost his best players again, and is now on the precipice again. I am curious how he navigates the roster for next year. He has hit big with Hawkins, Newton, Spencer, Castle, and Clingan so far.

It's not the same motivation for Reed as other players. That's what people seem to forget. He wants to leave a legacy. He also didn't cone here with the expectations of being OAD. So, nothing is being disrupted in his plan by staying. Next years draft is very weak as well.

Hell, Dj won't get a 2nd rd guarantee, let alone a first rd.

It's not like we haven't been reaching out to guys in the portal so far. However, there aren't a lot of high level ones so far.

I don't subscribe to KSR+ but people on Twitter are saying Jack Pilgrim posted some positive news about player decisions.

Now I know Edwards will not be back but could definitely benefit from another year. I thought they talked about his anxiety and if he does go pro, he gets the help to deal with it because if struggled at UK, the league will be that more stressful.

This is yet another area where Cal exceeds in total failure in his job to keep Kentucky basketball moving forward. He lets the kids dictate how next year's roster will play out because he gives them unlimited time with no pressure to go "figure it out". Which means he totally misses out on the portal kids because those transfer prospects have no clue what our needs might be next year, or where they'll even fit in.

Cal again shows he's first and foremost "players first", above and beyond program. There is no balance where he says "take your time, but also keep in mind we have a program / roster to build next year, so the sooner you can get your info and decide, the better for the Kentucky program". This sh*t never crosses Cal's mind, and this is why he will continue to fail every March while other teams rebuild via the portal.

I'm glad to see you say that Reed is definitely gone since you said UK was definitely not making the NCAA tournament and doubed down on it through the thread.

Means we have a chance with Reed !!
Cook, I was frustrated and got I not he heat of the moment, but Kentuckys tourney run was a barley a tourney run. But I will gladly be wrong here again, in fact I love being wrong on here, it means Kentucky actually did something good instead of the norm. I would shocked if Reed comes back, but then again I am wrong plenty of times, so let’s hope I’m wrong again

You say that like a Kentucky fan. Adou is a college basketball player with a meager connection to the coach, who wants to play his way into the league and make some NIL money. There are many schools that could be attractive to him outside of those three, if they offer that combination of incentives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT