ADVERTISEMENT

Does Matt Painter have a future at Purdue.

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
So what do we think will happen with Paintet at Purdue after becoming the second team in history to lose to a 16?

He’s now lost to a 13, a 15, and a 16.

Talk about underachievement.

Is Painter at Purdue next season?

Reactions: chroix
It's Purdue, who cares?

I mean I might be wrong here because it's Purdue and I don't follow them but were they reaching these heights consistently before?

Might as well stick with Painter.

Pur-die won the Big 69 by playing power football on the basketball court. There are no teams like FDU in the Big 69 so they should be okay. We've seen the style several times in the SEC. Vandy, Auburn, Bama, etc.

Reactions: Fox2monk
So what do we think will happen with Paintet at Purdue after becoming the second team in history to lose to a 16?

He will be fine, I don’t know why he can’t do well in the tournament. He had a team capable this year.

Painter graduated from Purdue had a great year until yesterday I don't think he not going anyplace.

Purdue lacks athleticism and it was evident all year. Look no further than late in the game when Opie dude was going up for a layup....shot sent 4 rows deep and FDU guy was armpit high on backboard.

You cannot win without a few elite athletes. Purdue has none. Would have been a great team in the 50's.

Purdue is a regular season program and not a tournament one. They seem to do really well every year and then choke in the tourney.

Reactions: Cats192

He still has one more NCAAT win than Cal does the past 3 seasons for a lot less money. Let that sink in.
They coach very similar. Won’t play zone, let opponents dictate game, don’t make adjustments.
Cow can tie him with a win tomorrow.

He is the most Purdue coach to ever Purdue. Purdue has won the most Big Ten titles, has a winning record against every Big.10 school but zero NCAA titles and two Final Fours. He is Purdue personified.

Reactions: chroix
He'll last for a while because none of their fans feel that it's their birthright to win every game. Too many other fan bases would gather the torches and pitchforks and demand the coach and AD be fired immediately. But at Purdue they'll be disappointed for a weekend, then accept the defeat and start looking forward to next season. They'll understand that the nature of sport is that the better team is not guaranteed a victory.

It's Purdue, who cares?

I mean I might be wrong here because it's Purdue and I don't follow them but were they reaching these heights consistently before?

Might as well stick with Painter.

Jean Keady (spl) I remember was pretty solid there. Believe he made 2 final fours.

He'll last for a while because none of their fans feel that it's their birthright to win every game. Too many other fan bases would gather the torches and pitchforks and demand the coach and AD be fired immediately. But at Purdue they'll be disappointed for a weekend, then accept the defeat and start looking forward to next season. They'll understand that the nature of sport is that the better team is not guaranteed a victory.

Why don’t you go be a shitty purduenfan then since this is what you expect at a blue blood and it’s not happening? You are one soft dude.

Here come the cowboys. Run’m out.

His job is safe, IMO.

It's actually quite amazing how comparable he and Cal are in their approach to the game.

Thus, Purdue can keep him.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Already heard people I know say things like he "graduates his players," "does things the right way," and "is a man of integrity." These are common B1G justifications for underperforming in athletics.

I honestly don't think his job will ever be in jeopardy.

Jean Keady (spl) I remember was pretty solid there. Believe he made 2 final fours.
Gene Keady made 2 elite 8's at Purdue, that was his high mark there. Seems like more often than not, he'd lose in the first or second round. He went to the 2nd weekend of the tournament 5 times the entire time he was at Purdue.

I think so. Sucks that they lost, but they have been a high seed 3 years now. But the pressure is on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT