ADVERTISEMENT

Does Kroger Field need upgrades?

Nutter was converted to remove the track and give more area to the football field. I think that’s mostly done. They are building a new indoor track and field building now over where the old baseball stadium was. Kroger field is getting new LED lights so they can do light shows like other stadiums are doing. I think that will be new this fall and will help the atmosphere.
It will help the atmosphere but the sound system needs upgraded too. The new lights will work so much better with a new sound system

In terms of the stadium. The basics are the best in the conference. Seating, ingress, egress, width of concourses, etc... Concessions are pretty good. Suite setup is really nice now with the changes. The club level is very nice and really, nothing like it in the sec.

Video boards, lighting, technology and sound leave a lot to be desired. Lighting getting upgraded as we type.

When they did the renovation the consultant goofed up BAD in their estimate on demand for "club" seating. They could have easily doubled the club level seating and sold it out. So, I predict that they will do a new club seating/suite area in one of the endzones in the next decade similar to what Ole Miss did about 10-15 years ago.

No sound system. Mitch says a new system is a major project that requires a lot of money.

No sound system. Mitch says a new system is a major project that requires a lot of money.
That’s what I thought I had read. Can’t wait to watch our new state of the art lighting system be mediocre and not be able to be used to its full potential because our sound system sucks

I believe the lights will be nice. Contractors are working on them right now. How long before the houses off Cooper complain about the lights? They have complained for years about the fireworks.

I believe the lights will be nice. Contractors are working on them right now. How long before the houses off Cooper complain about the lights? They have complained for years about the fireworks.
I agree they will be nice but my point is without a better sound system they can’t be fully utilized to their potential. Can you imagine trying to sync the lights to Grove Street with all the echoing or any other hype song they play

Yes, both in equipment and attitude.

1) Pyrotechnics. I remember hearing that the surround neighborhoods complained a few years ago about night games and fireworks. There is countless fireworks that don't have reports (the loud boom) and even newer styles that use compressed air to launch them instead of the normal gunpowder. Imagine blue and white "roman candle" style fireworks going off all around the stadium.

2) A change from Grove Street as the entrance music. The entrance music is not to get the team pumped, its to get the crowd pumped and loud. In turn, this will get the team pumped. Nothing gets a crowd going that good old rock music. Stoops hallmark has been defense. Play let the bodies hit the floor, and time the key moments in the song to vicious defensive hits on the video. The crowd chanting the countdown, the scream.....

Let the bodies hit the floor
Let the bodies hit the... FLOOR!
Beaten... why for?
Can't take much more
Here we go... Here we go... Here we go (now)
One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me
One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now!

For years UK has said.. Why not Kentucky... Well, nothing is wrong here, and something has to give!! Make it an attitude. Keep that chip on there shoulders.

3) Been a few years since I have been, So if they stopped it already great. But the stupid call to post and the horse racing BS they play. Drop the whole thing, or at least replace it with football highlights.

4) Coal Whistle. All for it. But have an actual big whistle, not something piped though the speakers. Again, you can use compressed air and a fog machine to mimic the steam whistle they would have used. Nice tradition, but its a gimmick without the real thing on the field. Maybe 2, one on each end of the UKs sideline.

The Stadium needs minor tweaking. I have been to 11 other SEC stadiums - and none of them have a better set up for the fans as to entry, exterior looks, seating, playing field, parking with ease of entry and exit, restrooms, food service, etc. If you have been to the others you would realize how easy you can walk thru the stadium and get to everything you need easily. Not the same at many of the other stadiums.

However, the lighting, sound system, wifi system and scoreboards are weak by comparison to several. The lighting seems to be being fixed this year. The Sound system needs major upgrades and the WI FI is virtually non existent at Kroger. Of course larger fancier scoreboards would be a nice addition also. When the team is into it - the crowd is into it. It can get almost as loud as any stadium in the conference. UK's fan support has been strong for several years as well. At one time the stadium was designed to actually be able to be expanded to well over 100,000. Consistently winning/competitive seasons will determine the future of the stadium capacity. To remain a member of the SEC those things might actually be demanded at some point in time. Missouri is doing a huge makeover and upgrade to 70,000 now, so is Florida - Florida with a seating capacity of 88,000! Arkansas is expanding to 80,000 and Old Miss is expanding to 70,000 also.

Vanderbilt will eventually play in the new Titans Stadium being built or it may end up being cut from the conference! That is the new world of SEC and Big time Conference affilations! The SEC now has 16 members - 5 of them have capacities of over 100,000; 4 more have 80,000 seat stadiums and two more are in the higher 70,000's. Only Vanderbilt has a smaller stadium seating capacity than Kentucky. Kentucky will probably have to expand to remain in the SEC and be COMPETITIVE! I think UK is aware of this and know that Kroger is the second smallest stadium in the conference now. UK needs to address this issue fairly soon. NIL, TV and the football playoffs will all be factors in stadium expansion.

As I have looked at the field. I think Kroger could be expanded easily again to increase capacity to 80,000 if the demand was present. That could be done as part of the original plan from 1970 - that plan included a third deck on each side. The home side has had all those press boxes and of course donor boxes and seating added during the last remodel. But, I could see adding a 3rd deck on the visitor side of the field without much issue still. The end zones could be targeted to expand as well. The additional seating would make Kroger an SEC stadium! As a comparison, South Carolina's stadium currently seats 80,500. MIssissippi is already enlarging its stadium to 70,000 and Arkansas is increasing to 80,000.

Go Big Blue!
Four SEC stadiums have capacities between 60,000 and 65,000: Mississippi State: 60,311; UK's Kroger Field 61,000; Missouri: 62,621; and Ole Miss 64,038. When Vanderbilt's expansion is complete, its capacity will be 40,350.

Yes, both in equipment and attitude.

1) Pyrotechnics. I remember hearing that the surround neighborhoods complained a few years ago about night games and fireworks. There is countless fireworks that don't have reports (the loud boom) and even newer styles that use compressed air to launch them instead of the normal gunpowder. Imagine blue and white "roman candle" style fireworks going off all around the stadium.

2) A change from Grove Street as the entrance music. The entrance music is not to get the team pumped, its to get the crowd pumped and loud. In turn, this will get the team pumped. Nothing gets a crowd going that good old rock music. Stoops hallmark has been defense. Play let the bodies hit the floor, and time the key moments in the song to vicious defensive hits on the video. The crowd chanting the countdown, the scream.....

Let the bodies hit the... FLOOR!
Beaten... why for?
Can't take much more
Here we go... Here we go... Here we go (now)
One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me
One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now!

For years UK has said.. Why not Kentucky... Well, nothing is wrong here, and something has to give!! Make it an attitude. Keep that chip on there shoulders.

3) Been a few years since I have been, So if they stopped it already great. But the stupid call to post and the horse racing BS they play. Drop the whole thing, or at least replace it with football highlights.

4) Coal Whistle. All for it. But have an actual big whistle, not something piped though the speakers. Again, you can use compressed air and a fog machine to mimic the steam whistle they would have used. Nice tradition, but it’s a gimmick without the real thing on the field. Maybe 2, one on each end of the UKs sideline.
Great suggestions I agree Grove Street should be saved for the 4th qtr. the call to the post could stay or go doesn’t matter to me either way.

A) When you change your name to Kroger Field, no football person in the SEC or elsewhere is going to take you serious. Major blunder by Barnhart
B) The turf look doesn’t fit the SEC. Go natural grass like the rest of the teams, who cares what it looks like in the cold weather, the grass look is traditional. It’s all about tradition.
C) Look at the outside of our stadium, now look at the outside of others. They’re all covered in brick, ours is covered in nothing and shows the metal skeleton underneath that looks like the back of high school bleachers. It just looks unappealing.
D) Look at the lower bowl around field level. It’s just some blue banners stapled up to a cement wall. Go look at everyone else, they have brick, they have hedges, etc. Barnhart has no feel for aesthetics. He builds his stadiums like he’s constructing a Walmart. Cold and lifeless, no personality.

PS, For goodness sake, get the Kroger logo off of the field, it’s embarrassing enough to have to call it Kroger field but we have to stick that logo with a shopping cart on an SEC football field? And we wonder why we aren’t taken seriously in this conference.

I could go on and on and on with little things like this, but it’s the little details that make a house a home, and Barnhart just doesn’t have a feel for what it means to play football in the SEC. He doesn’t understand the south or tradition in general.

Great suggestions I agree Grove Street should be saved for the 4th qtr. the call to the post could stay or go doesn’t matter to me either way.
I would rather have the call to post play on 3rd and 4th downs. Lexington and the state is known for horse racing. Axe the coal whistle I think it's outdated and boring. Most of the players don't even know what a coal mine is. I am sure the Crafts play a role in the whistle.

A) When you change your name to Kroger Field, no football person in the SEC or elsewhere is going to take you serious. Major blunder by Barnhart
B) The turf look doesn’t fit the SEC. Go natural grass like the rest of the teams, who cares what it looks like in the cold weather, the grass look is traditional. It’s all about tradition.
C) Look at the outside of our stadium, now look at the outside of others. They’re all covered in brick, ours is covered in nothing and shows the metal skeleton underneath that looks like the back of high school bleachers. It just looks unappealing.
D) Look at the lower bowl around field level. It’s just some blue banners stapled up to a cement wall. Go look at everyone else, they have brick, they have hedges, etc. Barnhart has no feel for aesthetics. He builds his stadiums like he’s constructing a Walmart. Cold and lifeless, no personality.

PS, For goodness sake, get the Kroger logo off of the field, it’s embarrassing enough to have to call it Kroger field but we have to stick that logo with a shopping cart on an SEC football field? And we wonder why we aren’t taken seriously in this conference.

I could go on and on and on with little things like this, but it’s the little details that make a house a home, and Barnhart just doesn’t have a feel for what it means to play football in the SEC. He doesn’t understand the south or tradition in general.
Best post in history of this board.

Just saw that someone ranked Kroger field near the bottom of SEC stadiums. So does it need upgrades? If so, what?

Also, how are the upgrades to Nutter going?
I do not care how biased websites rank stadiums for clicks. Every school needs to constantly evaluate their own stadium in light of new technology and make regular upgrades. Not just football, but all the sports. If you go to KF, you know it is a modern stadium and nothing to be ashamed of. But there can always be a better scoreboard, more comfortable seats, or a new coat of paint. Kentucky has done a good job in my opinion and I am sure that will continue. Things don't stay the same.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT