ADVERTISEMENT

Does Calipari departure help the FB program?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Maybe less coverage and emphasis on BB w/out Cal (and, perhaps, a down year or two as we rebuild) - would that help the FB program? I don't believe it has to be either/or but there are so few examples of schools with both BB and FB being in the top 20. Although I'm not a BB fan in general, I certainly want UK to regain its prominence as a program. But, hoping that the FB program continues its climb, also.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Catch 22. Booster NIL money that might have been diverted to football to spite Cal will now go back to basketball in support of whoever the new hire is. Assuming it’s a good one the boosters support.

Helps... UK can afford one huge buyout but not 2. Another bad year for Stoops and there isn't as much hesitation to part ways. Things are stale in his 12th year... a new coach could turn it around.

Maybe less coverage and emphasis on BB w/out Cal (and, perhaps, a down year or two as we rebuild) - would that help the FB program? I don't believe it has to be either/or but there are so few examples of schools with both BB and FB being in the top 20. Although I'm not a BB fan in general, I certainly want UK to regain its prominence as a program. But, hoping that the FB program continues its climb, also.
Funny, I just tweeted as much. It gives a chance for the BB and FB coaches to like each other or at least be rowing in the same direction. I definitely thinks it helps on some level.

Catch 22. Booster NIL money that might have been diverted to football to spite Cal will now go back to basketball in support of whoever the new hire is. Assuming it’s a good one the boosters support.
I hope not. If the next bb coach is a winner, why would boosters want to divert funding from football? Perhaps these boosters understand that football is the economic straw that stirs the drink.

Let’s be honest, if I was a basketball-driven booster, why would I give it to football?

Nope. Unfortunately Calipari has been the catalyst for football the last 4 years. But I think Football will be ok - IF - Stoops really is committed to Kentucky and doesn't have his eyes on some other job!

Go Big Blue!

I don't think it affects a lot. I also want all oars pulling together because I think it does help some. If Cal were producing like he did in his first 5 yrs, we would be taking a hit by him leaving.....however smaller.

However the most recent 5 yrs....

2019–20Kentucky25–615–31stPostseason cancelled due to COVID-19
2020–21Kentucky9–168–98th
2021–22Kentucky26–814–4T–2ndNCAA Division I Round of 64
2022–23Kentucky22–1212–63rdNCAA Division I Round of 32
2023–24Kentucky23–1013–5T–2ndNCAA Division I Round of 64
Kentucky:410–122 (.771)198–65 (.753)

I don't think there is much of an effect felt now.

Yes, helps the Football program, and when Barnhart screws this basketball hire up, UK will immediately become a football school.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2
Yes, helps the Football program, and when Barnhart screws this basketball hire up, UK will immediately become a football school.

With all the hires that Barnhart has made, your default thinking is that he's gonna screw up this hire? I'm not a rah-rah fan boy of his.....just curious as to why your brain goes there first?

Agree

No way this hire is not one of the big 3 (Hurley, Donovan, Drew). That is a huge win for the AD and school.

I think the tag line to booster support should be "what am I getting for my money". We've seen what happens to basketball support when performance is viewed as not being worthy of support. So the same rule applies in reverse to both basketball and football. When the teams deliver and perform well, support will continue and even increase.

A qualified "helps," b/c of the manner of the departure being no firing w the corresponding $33.4 mil buyout. So more $ available for both sports. As Dennis Miller says: "that's one man's opinion; I could be wrong."

Reactions: The-Hack
I think it will put more focus on the football program which is needed.

But, it will also put Mark Stoops under more scrutiny and expectations for success in football will grow with that increased focas/funding from the athletic department.

Cal did everything possible to make UK a football school. Sorry he won't be here to see the changeover

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT