ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cal attack Duke on the recruiting trail?

If not, he should.

Go right at Coach K and make it an all-out war. Burn their village to the ground.

Mention:

- K being 3/13 over the last thirteen years in getting beyond the Sweet Sixteen.
- K's numerous criticisms of freshmen after tournament losses, including his throwing Jabari Parker under the bus after the Mercer loss a few years ago.
- Playing Harry Giles when it was clear Giles was a good 1.5 years away from being ready (as proven by the Kings).
- K trying to persuade lottery picks to return when millions of dollars were at stake, as he did with guys like Maggette, Brand and Avery.
- K's abysmal record at developing big men for the NBA.
- K only having one current NBA All-Star. If K is the GOAT, shouldn't he have more than one NBA All-Star, and that guy being one who only played 7 games for K at Duke?
- 10 years of K vehemently condemning the OAD rule.

Go right at the sanctimonious hypocrite. Put his rat nose to the burner and make it a war.
Cal's answer:
i_ve_had_enough_by_ofir98-d6jyztw.jpg

I liked it better a couple of years ago South Carolina bruised more than their ego.

Cal needs to do his own thing.

I hate negative recruiting under any circumstances.

I want kids that Cal can inspire, not kids that are influenced by negative recruiting.

UK brings a lot to the table, and Cal needs to focus on THAT, and how he can help these young kids to reach their goals...

Honestly, I'm more excited about our recruiting class along with returning some players from this team, than I would be if we were gonna try to do it with all freshmen again next year.

I'm excited to go against Duke's team next year!

My biggest takeaway from that Tribune article you posted is that Jabari looked insanely out of shape. Like competing in an eating contest with Capel out of shape.

I'm with you on the transfers. If you don't think so, go check out my posts on the Duke site. Drives me nuts that Coach plays zero bench, guys transfer, and then Coach complains about no experienced depth. And yeah, why Matt Jones played more PG than Frank Jackson, don't think even the Lord knows why. And Chase transferring - that dude was Duke through-and-through. I was so pissed that he never saw the floor. And never would have, with all the elite talent that comes in every year.

I personally think that Coach isn't what he used to be - what 70+ year old is - but that he's trying to make up for that with insane talent every year. Part of me is ok with that approach but part of me hates that guys like Duval and Trent are pretty much being forced to leave this year, even if not ready, because they won't see the floor much next year. Hate that.

One of the smarter more self-aware Duke posts I've seen.. ever?

The relationship with Parker could very well be just as much on Jabari as it is on Coach K. But he seems to have quite a few issues with the above players. I wonder how they receive K now. Because FWIW, it seems even our transfers still speak highly of Calipari. I don't see any contact between Coach K and current NBA players.. but, I'm alos not keeping me eye out for it either.

I'm not sure he's going to force those two guys out. Sorry, but only Cal willing pushes players who would have risked too much to return. Gary Trent absolutely should go. Duval does have things to work on, but he could also expose himself more.

That's the dumbest post ever , any team that wins the championship that's no fluke.

Meh.

Duke got a super-easy South bracket and a favorable whistle in Houston (against Baylor).

They also got to play Wisconsin instead of UK.

The 2010 & 2015 teams were Cal's two-most talented teams that didn't win a title.

The NCAA did everything it could to keep the two teams from playing.

UK was at least moderately cheated against WVA, and they were super-cheated against Wisconsin.

Duke winning both those titles without having to face UK, is why those titles are viewed as "flukish" .

2010 Duke had a top 5 offensive and defensive efficiency before and after the tournament.

Every team Duke faced after the first round of the tournament was a top 15 Kenpom team.

I don’t mind people saying Dukes 2015 path was pretty weak because you can’t logically argue against it. 2010 is a different story. Kansas and Duke were far and away the two best teams over the whole season. Duke also ended 2010 with the #1 SOS.

I’m definitely for some negative recruiting against the hypocrisy that K demonstrates. I do not think calling him out is a good idea.

K is viewed by the media as the king. His media presentation reminds me of how I’ve heard people looked a Rupp. Or Wooden. All I’ve heard is that during their time they were viewed as kings and it wasn’t until after they retired that the criticism came out.

If I’m wrong at that comparison forgive me. It’s purey based off what I’ve heard and now see with the treatment of K by the NCAA, it’s officials, and the media.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...uke-blue-devils-ncaa-tournament-march-madness

There's a handful of things in this article, direct quotes among them, that stand out to me. I don't know what rift there may have been between Parker and K.. but K didn't seem to go to bat for him. Woj seemingly had more sympathy for Parker than K did.

ANd then this video (not sure who these guys are, is one LZ Granderson lol):

On the spectrum of coaches, between guys like Coach Cal who has his players best interest in mind, and guys like Boeheim, who was absolutely butt-hurt when his players leave early..Coach K appears to be much closer to Jim B..
Guys you can say what you want and get on here and moan and groan about Coach K, but he has taken over the mantle of the one-and-done recruiting... Don't know why but it is what it is and until Cal can get back to getting the elite of the elite then this trend, I fear, is going to continue.

I'd honestly play this clip in a recruits home and ask them if they think this has SWAG...then UK isn't for you :smiley:

2010 Duke had a top 5 offensive and defensive efficiency before and after the tournament.

Every team Duke faced after the first round of the tournament was a top 15 Kenpom team.

I don’t mind people saying Dukes 2015 path was pretty weak because you can’t logically argue against it. 2010 is a different story. Kansas and Duke were far and away the two best teams over the whole season. Duke also ended 2010 with the #1 SOS.

Yeah - that Purdue team was great after Robbie Hummel went down.

And Duke was “far and away” one of the two best teams over the whole season?

How can you say that and look at yourself in the mirror?

Yeah - that Purdue team was great after Robbie Hummel went down.

And Duke was “far and away” one of the two best teams over the whole season?

How can you say that and look at yourself in the mirror?

Purdue was the only four seed to actually make it to the sweet 16 that year.

Yes I can. Top five in both offense and defense while facing a top 5 SOS.

Purdue was the only four seed to actually make it to the sweet 16 that year.

Yes I can. Top five in both offense and defense while facing the #1 SOS.

SOS is manipulated. As a Duke fan, you should know this.

And it helped you that Purdue made it that far.

So, congrats on that.

And you got one of the friendliest whistles imaginable in the regional final.

So, congrats on that.

We know your last two titles are tainted. And we also know that you have to sleep at night.

Far and away. What a crock.

SOS is manipulated. As a Duke fan, you should know this.

And it helped you that Purdue made it that far.

So, congrats on that.

And you got one of the friendliest whistles imaginable in the regional final.

So, congrats on that.

We know your last two titles are tainted. And we also know that you have to sleep at night.

Far and away. What a crock.

If Duke had had one of the other four seeds that lost early people would say Duke got benefited by the fact their four seed lost early.

That Duke team was really good on both ends of the floor.

If Duke had had one of the other four seeds that lost early people would say Duke got benefited by the fact their four seed lost early.

That Duke team was really good on both ends of the floor.

They benefited from having an injured 4 seed. I’m saying it because it’s the truth.

Didn’t say that Duke wasn’t good.

But your supposition that they were “far and away” one of the two best teams in the country and ignore Kentucky as being in that realm is asinine.

Reactions: Aike
They benefited from having an injured 4 seed. I’m saying it because it’s the truth.

Didn’t say that Duke wasn’t good.

But your supposition that they were “far and away” one of the two best teams in the country and ignore Kentucky as being in that realm is asinine.

Duke and Kansas were in a tier of their own by the end of the season. Kentucky was in the next tier.

If UK doesn’t shoot 32 threes against WV this argument would have been settled on the court. You had Cousins and shot 32 threes!

But the biggest blunder — and I’d give the Guerrero committee a C- overall — clearly was the treatment Duke received.

I suppose you could make a case for the Blue Devils being the third overall seed, ahead of Syracuse. That’s a debatable matter.

What is not debatable is that Duke received a stunningly soft draw, especially compared to Kansas.

Compare the high seeds in each region:

Duke gets faltering Villanova as its No. 2, while KU gets rolling, Evan Tuner-led Ohio State.

Duke gets erratic Baylor as its No. 3, while KU gets Big East runner-up Georgetown.

Duke gets fading Purdue as its No. 4, while KU gets ACC regular-season champ Maryland.

Duke gets fair-to-middling Texas A&M as its No. 5, while KU gets nobody-wants-to-play-em Michigan State.

The committee is supposed to balance the brackets, not weigh one down with powerhouses and softened one up with lightweights.

In a word: Abominable.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/03/15/ncaa-tournament-the-duke-conspiracy-theory/

Reactions: Aike and shep21754
Uses Kenpom ratings..

doesn't realize they are from the very end of the season..

Going into the tournament, Duke was behind Kentucky, and they had 3 more losses. If anything Duke was a 2nd tier, but got 1st tier treatment, and were able to parlay that into a title and boost their metrics.

Reactions: UKUGA and shep21754
Uses Kenpom ratings..

doesn't realize they are from the very end of the season..

Going into the tournament, Duke was behind Kentucky, and they had 3 more losses. If anything Duke was a 2nd tier, but got 1st tier treatment, and were able to parlay that into a title and boost their metrics.

Kenpom offers pre-tournament data....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/15ncaa.html

Others wondered if it was one of the least fair in recent memory. The No. 1 overall seed, Kansas, appears to have a much more difficult road to the Final Four in Indianapolis than any of the other three top seeds, Kentucky, Duke and Syracuse. Duke, the third overall No. 1 seed, appears to have the easiest path, with reeling No. 2 Villanova, inexperienced No. 3 Baylor and injured No. 4 Purdue in the South Region.

Reactions: Aike
Clearly, I must have been imagining that Duke got an easy draw.

Otherwise, I would have had an easy time finding multiple articles from 8 years ago, specifically addressing the relative weakness of their draw.

Clearly, I must have been imagining that Duke got an easy draw.

Otherwise, I would have had an easy time finding multiple articles from 8 years ago, specifically addressing the relative weakness of their draw.

Those are all just opinions. I like looking at the data. But to each his own.

Those are all just opinions. I like looking at the data. But to each his own.

And it was just an opinion that they were number three over-all seed, right?

Despite your “fact” that they were “far and away” one one of the 2 best teams in the country.

I don’t know how people function in such disillusionment.

Never happened with Jabari or any freshman. In fact, after the Jarbari loss K went into the Mercer locker room and congratulated them on the win.

HAHAHAHAHA. Here come the stories about how "classy" Coach K is. Care to talk about the multiple times he has chastised opposing players in the handshake line after losing for being "too excited"?

Get that phony sh*t outta here.

And it was just an opinion that they were number three over-all seed, right?

Despite your “fact” that they were “far and away” one one of the 2 best teams in the country.

I don’t know how people function in such disillusionment.

It’s my opinion they were far and away top two. I can support my argument with data though. I will gladly be open to contrarian data.

Duke fans can say what they want, the buzz was there around Jabari. Why did he take so long to go to the NBA when he was, at worst, a top3 pick. Why did the assistant coaches have to come to his defense when Coach K practically shrugged it off and decided his precious time was best served with Mercer and not his team that just choked.

Spin away...

No, they weren't..

http://realtimerpi.com/2009-2010/rpi_Men.html

They had a better record, better RPI, were seeded overall higher, and were the hotter team going into Selection Sunday. The only Kenpom rankings I can find are AFTER the tournament, where Duke undoubtedly got a boost. Playing Hummel-less purdue? Certainly a metric booster.

If you subscribe to Kenpom you can view Kenpom pre-tournament data.

AdjEM rankings

KU- 32.51
Duke - 31.55
Syracuse - 27.59
WV- 25.73
Wiscy- 25.56
OSU- 25.47
Kansas St- 24.94
Kentucky- 24.91

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT